Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM

Default {SOLVED} PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> wrote:
>> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
>> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
<snip>
> Adobe Reader is only a "reader" as I assumed it would be. Some PDF
> readers can also fill in forms, do editing, etc., however not Adobe
> Reader.
<snip>
I don't know what's wrong, other than the possibility that wherever you
got the form, they did *not* make it so that you can fill it out on your
system. Note that *every* instance that I've done that, acroread tells me
that I *must* print it, and that I *cannot* save it filled out.

That, of course, is solved by the pdfprinter driver for CUPS, though that
leaves me with a filled out, but un-re-editable document.

And yes, I have a bunch of purchase requests that I filled out in the last
couple of years that were like this, and yes, I used acroread.

mark

Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Lanny Marcus

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
>>> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
> <snip>
>> Adobe Reader is only a "reader" as I assumed it would be. Some PDF
>> readers can also fill in forms, do editing, etc., however not Adobe
>> Reader.
> <snip>
> I don't know what's wrong, other than the possibility that wherever you
> got the form, they did *not* make it so that you can fill it out on your
> system. Note that *every* instance that I've done that, acroread tells me
> that I *must* print it, and that I *cannot* save it filled out.
>
> That, of course, is solved by the pdfprinter driver for CUPS, though that
> leaves me with a filled out, but un-re-editable document.
>
> And yes, I have a bunch of purchase requests that I filled out in the last
> couple of years that were like this, and yes, I used acroread.
>
> * * * * *mark

Mark: I now have Adobe Reader 9 installed on the M$ Windows side and
also on the Linux side of this box. Both show among the plugins, the
Acrobat Forms plugin is Not loaded. Possibly if that plugin can be
loaded, in Adobe Reader, one can fill in forms.

On the Windows side, I have a Freeware program, Nitro PDF Reader 2,
that is very slick.

On the Linux side, I have pdfedit and my guess is that if it had the
kind of Help files that Nitro PDF Reader 2 does, that pdfedit can do
most or all of the things Nitro PDF Reader 2 can do.

pdfedit will do what I need to do, unless and until I find something
better, that installs easily on CentOS 5.7 Thanks again for your
help! Lanny

Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Craig White

On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 12:47 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> > Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Adobe Reader is only a "reader" as I assumed it would be. Some PDF
> >> readers can also fill in forms, do editing, etc., however not Adobe
> >> Reader.
> > <snip>
> > I don't know what's wrong, other than the possibility that wherever you
> > got the form, they did *not* make it so that you can fill it out on your
> > system. Note that *every* instance that I've done that, acroread tells me
> > that I *must* print it, and that I *cannot* save it filled out.
> >
> > That, of course, is solved by the pdfprinter driver for CUPS, though that
> > leaves me with a filled out, but un-re-editable document.
> >
> > And yes, I have a bunch of purchase requests that I filled out in the last
> > couple of years that were like this, and yes, I used acroread.
> >
> > mark
>
> Mark: I now have Adobe Reader 9 installed on the M$ Windows side and
> also on the Linux side of this box. Both show among the plugins, the
> Acrobat Forms plugin is Not loaded. Possibly if that plugin can be
> loaded, in Adobe Reader, one can fill in forms.
----
Acrobat on Linux (AdobeReader to be more precise) will indeed do forms
but you really should disable the browser plug-in (I believe in Firefox
lingo, they're called extensions) and you will have less memory issues
with FF and PDF files will download and allow you to choose which
program you use to open them (AdobeReader or /usr/bin/acroread) and life
is generally better.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM
ken

On 09/23/2011 08:45 PM Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-23 at 12:47 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> <snip>
>>> I don't know what's wrong, other than the possibility that wherever you
>>> got the form, they did *not* make it so that you can fill it out on your
>>> system. Note that *every* instance that I've done that, acroread tells me
>>> that I *must* print it, and that I *cannot* save it filled out.
>>>
>>> That, of course, is solved by the pdfprinter driver for CUPS, though that
>>> leaves me with a filled out, but un-re-editable document.
>>>
>>> And yes, I have a bunch of purchase requests that I filled out in the last
>>> couple of years that were like this, and yes, I used acroread.
>>>
>>> mark
>> Mark: I now have Adobe Reader 9 installed on the M$ Windows side and
>> also on the Linux side of this box. Both show among the plugins, the
>> Acrobat Forms plugin is Not loaded. Possibly if that plugin can be
>> loaded, in Adobe Reader, one can fill in forms.
> ----
> Acrobat on Linux (AdobeReader to be more precise) will indeed do forms
> but you really should disable the browser plug-in (I believe in Firefox
> lingo, they're called extensions) and you will have less memory issues
> with FF and PDF files will download and allow you to choose which
> program you use to open them (AdobeReader or /usr/bin/acroread) and life
> is generally better.
>
> Craig

Agreed. Adobe products, at least those meant to run on Linux, are
easily confused. I use them minimally, if at all.