Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Always Learning

Default Ekiga - camera

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 14:37 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Always Learning wrote on 09/21/2011 02:33 PM:
> > I'm on 5.7
>
> But the OP is on 6.

I'm on 5.7 and I have had similar problems. If this Cheese thing can
helpfully identify why two web cams, gathering dust, are not recognised
in Ekiga, I shall be happier.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Johan Vermeulen wrote:

> when first installing CentOs some 6 months ago, I noticed this strange
> thing called Ekiga.
<snip>
> # yum search V4L2

That's video4linux, btw.

> with epel testing enabled.
>
> #dmesg | tail -n15 shows :
<snip>
> still in Ekiga i get error message ( translated from Dutch) :
>
> an error occurred with video device UVC Camera (046d:0819)
> an error occurred when opening the device
> blahblahbla
> check access rights or driver.
>
> under System - Preferences I can't find anything configurable ( is that
> even English ?)

Perfectly good English. And it did tell you the problem: access rights.
Look at the driver - it might be /dev/video or /dev/video0 - and check the
permissions. It may be installed, but only root has rw privileges. If
that's the case, one option would be to make it owned by root, but group
motion, and add yourself to that group.

mark

Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Keith Roberts

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Johan Vermeulen wrote:

> From: Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen@cawdekempen.be>
> Subject: [CentOS] Ekiga - camera
>

> dear All,
>
> when first installing CentOs some 6 months ago, I noticed
> this strange thing called Ekiga.
>
> Now, some guys at work use Skype and I heard that's owned
> by Microsoft. So enter James.
>
> I bought a webcam, actualy 2, to test Ekiga. Logitech
> Webcam c210. I saw this url
> :http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ on this url
> :http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/Webcams
> and in short : I think I have the driver i need --V4L2--
> on my Centos6 machine.

Hello Johan.

I've done some looking into this before, and if you checkout
my Linux Compatible Webcams Guide you will see that if you
use a Logitec c210 which is a UVC camera - and the driver
for UVC devices is already built into the newer Linux
kernel.

"However, the current Linux 2.6.26 kernel and newer includes
the Linux UVC driver natively. So you will not need to
download and compile any driver module source if you
purchase a UVC compatible webcam. It should be Plug-n-Play
like any other USB device"

It looks Like RH may have backported the UVC drivers into
the kernel, as I can use my Logitec webcam OK under Skype

[root@karsites ~]# rpm -qv kernel
kernel-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-194.32.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5
kernel-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5

[root@karsites ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:0802 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C200
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

So I doubt whether it's a Linux driver problem!

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Keith Roberts

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Always Learning wrote:

> From: Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Ekiga - camera
>

> On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 14:37 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>> Always Learning wrote on 09/21/2011 02:33 PM:
>>> I'm on 5.7
>>
>> But the OP is on 6.
>
> I'm on 5.7 and I have had similar problems. If this Cheese thing can
> helpfully identify why two web cams, gathering dust, are not recognised
> in Ekiga, I shall be happier.

Are they are UVC compliant devices?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Johan Vermeulen

hello Mark and Keith,

I also think a have the driver, because of what dmesg shows.

mark could be right, I had a similar issue with a firewire camera, Kino
and /dev/raw1394.

So a did this :

-bash-4.1# groupadd motion
-bash-4.1# chgrp motion video0
-bash-4.1# usermod -G motion james
-bash-4.1# id james
uid=500(james) gid=500(james) groepen=500(james),503(motion)
-bash-4.1# ls -la video0
crw-rw----+ 1 root motion 81, 0 sep 21 21:28 video0
-bash-4.1#

hope this is right.

But still same error message, even after reboot ( didn't want to but
battery went dead )

So still no video...

greetings, James

Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Johan Vermeulen

I kind of did the same for /dev/v4l

-bash-4.1# ls -la v4l/
totaal 0
drwxrwx---. 4 root motion 80 sep 21 21:28 .
drwxrwxrwx. 21 root root 3820 sep 21 21:28 ..
drwxrwx---. 2 root motion 60 sep 21 21:28 by-id
drwxrwx---. 2 root motion 60 sep 21 21:28 by-path
-bash-4.1#

still no luck. error message persists.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
ken

On 09/21/2011 03:34 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Johan Vermeulen wrote:

>> From: Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen@cawdekempen.be>
>> Subject: [CentOS] Ekiga - camera
>>

>> dear All,
>>
>> when first installing CentOs some 6 months ago, I noticed
>> this strange thing called Ekiga.
>>
>> Now, some guys at work use Skype and I heard that's owned
>> by Microsoft. So enter James.
>>
>> I bought a webcam, actualy 2, to test Ekiga. Logitech
>> Webcam c210. I saw this url
>> :http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ on this url
>> :http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/Webcams
>> and in short : I think I have the driver i need --V4L2--
>> on my Centos6 machine.

> "However, the current Linux 2.6.26 kernel and newer includes
> the Linux UVC driver natively. So you will not need to
> download and compile any driver module source if you
> purchase a UVC compatible webcam. It should be Plug-n-Play
> like any other USB device"

Back when I was handsome I used a webcam. It was a long time ago but I
remember one test was to do "cat /dev/video0"... or some other device
(if dmesg and /var/log/messages don't say). If you selected the correct
device and had the permissions (you could try the command as a regular
user or as root), that command would spew out (garbage) characters to
the terminal while the cam was moving and seem to pause when the cam
wasn't moving and pointed at nothing moving. Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D gave the
shell prompt back (as we'd expect).

hth,
k.