Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Jon Detert

Default selinux policy remnant according to /bin/ls on CentOS 6.0 box

I installed CentOS 6.0 on 2 different x86_64 boxen. Both originally had selinux installed and enabled. I never touched selinux other than to remove as much of it as I could via rpm -e. As far as I can tell, here are the remaining packages that have something to do with it:

# rpm -qa | grep -iE 'sel|pol'
checkpolicy-2.0.22-1.el6.x86_64
libselinux-2.0.94-2.el6.x86_64
libsepol-2.0.41-3.el6.x86_64
polkit-0.96-2.el6_0.1.x86_64
#

Both boxen have those packages.

However:

1) box1 still has files in /selinux whereas box2's /selinux is empty;
2) ls -l on box1 shows a '.' at the end of file/directory, which means a SELinux security context applies, according to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_FAQ#Why_does_ls_show_a_dot_.28..29_or_a_ plus_.28.2B.29_at_the_end_on_the_file_modes_for_so me_files.3F

Any idea why box1 still seems to have an selinux policy applied, and how to un-apply it?

Thanks,

Jon