-   -   PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/578040-pdf-reader-editor-centos-5-7-32-bit.html)

Lanny Marcus 09-20-2011 03:58 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?

> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
> some information, when I received a .pdf file.

<snip>
> Received a contract via email and I would like to add some information
> and send it back via email.

THANK YOU, to each of you who replied, and for the information you provided!

Evince Document Viewer cannot do form filling.
KPDF (based on xpdf) cannot do form filling.
KGhostView cannot do form filling.

I installed pdfedit, a pdf editor, which can do it. This is not what I
used before, which apparently was a pdf reader with form filling
ability, but, this works. :-)

Probably a PDF Editor is not what I was looking for, but a PDF Form
Filler is it.

Adobe Reader I would gladly install, if I knew the proper yum command.
I have the Adobe Repository installed, but so far, no joy, getting yum
to install it. :-)

Rob Kampen 09-20-2011 04:07 PM

Lanny Marcus wrote:

[...]

This is the repo:
[adobe-linux-i386]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
exclude=flash

and the rpm file is AdobeReader_enu
HTH

Robert Nichols 09-20-2011 04:33 PM

On 09/20/2011 10:58 AM, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Adobe Reader I would gladly install, if I knew the proper yum command.
> I have the Adobe Repository installed, but so far, no joy, getting yum
> to install it. :-)

With the Adobe repository installed, "yum search adobereader" should give
you a list of candidates, one of which has it's description in English,
strongly suggesting that "AdobeReader_enu" is what you want. Note that
this will be a 32-bit application, so it will bring in a lot of 32-bit
library dependencies if you're installing it on a 64-bit system.

Do NOT delete it.

09-20-2011 04:36 PM

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> wrote:
>> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
>> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
>>
> <snip>
>> Received a contract via email and I would like to add some information
>> and send it back via email.
>>
> THANK YOU, to each of you who replied, and for the information you
> provided!
>
> Evince Document Viewer cannot do form filling.

It actually can, though I'm a) not sure if the version current with CentOS
5.x can, and b) it can sometimes be quirky.
<snip>
> I installed pdfedit, a pdf editor, which can do it. This is not what I
> used before, which apparently was a pdf reader with form filling
> ability, but, this works. :-)

Not familiar with that - I'll have to look at it.
<snip>
> Adobe Reader I would gladly install, if I knew the proper yum command.
> I have the Adobe Repository installed, but so far, no joy, getting yum
> to install it. :-)

yum install AdobeReader_enu

mark

Craig White 09-20-2011 04:47 PM

On Sep 20, 2011, at 9:36 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
>>> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>> Received a contract via email and I would like to add some information
>>> and send it back via email.
>>>
>> THANK YOU, to each of you who replied, and for the information you
>> provided!
>>
>> Evince Document Viewer cannot do form filling.
>
> It actually can, though I'm a) not sure if the version current with CentOS
> 5.x can, and b) it can sometimes be quirky.
> <snip>
>> I installed pdfedit, a pdf editor, which can do it. This is not what I
>> used before, which apparently was a pdf reader with form filling
>> ability, but, this works. :-)
>>
> Not familiar with that - I'll have to look at it.
> <snip>
>> Adobe Reader I would gladly install, if I knew the proper yum command.
>> I have the Adobe Repository installed, but so far, no joy, getting yum
>> to install it. :-)
>
> yum install AdobeReader_enu
----
everyone apparently assumes that he wants the Universal English but he lives in a country where Spanish is the norm.

'yum search AdobeReader' should give a wide variety of versions including AdobeReader.esp which is probably what the OP wants.

Craig

Lanny Marcus 09-20-2011 07:45 PM

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Rob Kampen <rkampen@kampensonline.com> wrote:
> Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
>>> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
>> <snip>
> and the rpm file is AdobeReader_enu

Thank you! I had the Repository installed, but didn't have the
correct name for the package. The 61 MB download should finish in a
minute or two. I need to leave now, but will check it out later.
Thanks again to everyone! Lanny