Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/577974-pdf-reader-editor-centos-5-7-32-bit.html)

Lanny Marcus 09-20-2011 01:35 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
some information, when I received a .pdf file.

I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader capability.

Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from rpmforge:
1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.i386 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: libXm.so.4 is needed by package
1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
Error: Missing Dependency: libXm.so.4 is needed by package 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.

Then, if I try to yum install libXm.so.4 I get this error:
No package libXm.so.4 available.

Received a contract via email and I would like to add some information
and send it back via email.

If someone can recommend a Package that I can install, that will be
appreciated. Hopefully, something as easy to use as what I had before.
It just worked. :-) Unfortunately, I cannot remember which package it
was. :-)

TIA! Lanny
http://www.magazines-magazine.com/
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-20-2011 02:04 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
Lanny Marcus wrote:
> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
>
> I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader capability.
>
> Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from
> rpmforge:
<snip>
Possibly evince, which may already be installed.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 09-20-2011 02:04 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
Lanny Marcus wrote:
> I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
> some information, when I received a .pdf file.
>
> I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader capability.
>
> Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from rpmforge:
> 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.i386 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
> --> Missing Dependency: libXm.so.4 is needed by package
> 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
> Error: Missing Dependency: libXm.so.4 is needed by package 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.
>
> Then, if I try to yum install libXm.so.4 I get this error:
> No package libXm.so.4 available.

libXm.so.4 is provided by package openmotif, which is present in C5 for
x86_64. Can't see it in the i386 repo. Looks like something is broken
for 5.7/base i386?
The i386 version of the package is present in the x86_64 repo though...
So you can get it from there.
You can even get a newer version than the one included in 5.7/base, by
going to 5.6/updates in the vault. I guess this one will end up in
5.6/updates at some point.

For your purpose though, I'm not sure xpdf can edit pdfs. When I have to
do that I use AdobeReader from the adobe site.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

samuel machua 09-20-2011 02:25 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:04:20 -0400
m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
> > some information, when I received a .pdf file.
> >
> > I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader
> > capability.
> >
> > Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from
> > rpmforge:
> <snip>
> Possibly evince, which may already be installed.
>
> mark
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

LibreOffice 3 comes with a PDF Import plugin which allows you to edit
PDF's with draw and save as pdf.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

John Doe 09-20-2011 02:40 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
From: Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists@gmail.com>

> Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from rpmforge:
> 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.i386 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
> * --> Missing Dependency: libXm.so.4 is needed by package
> 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.i386 (rpmforge)
> Error: Missing Dependency: libXm.so.4 is needed by package 1:xpdf-3.02-8.el5.rf.
> Then, if I try to yum install libXm.so.4 I get this error:
> No package libXm.so.4 available.

"libXm.so.4" is a dependency; not a package name.

# yum whatprovides *libXm.so*
...
openmotif22-2.2.3-18.i386 : Open Motif runtime libraries and executables
Repo******* : base
Matched from:
Filename*** : /usr/lib/libXm.so.3
Filename*** : /usr/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2
Other****** : libXm.so.3

So apparently no "libXm.so.4" in base, repoforge or elrepo...
You could ask in the repoforge mailing list.

JD
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Robert Heller 09-20-2011 02:42 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
At Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:25:44 -0400 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org> wrote:

>
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:04:20 -0400
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
> > Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > > I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
> > > some information, when I received a .pdf file.
> > >
> > > I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader
> > > capability.
> > >
> > > Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from
> > > rpmforge:
> > <snip>
> > Possibly evince, which may already be installed.
> >
> > mark
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > CentOS mailing list
> > CentOS@centos.org
> > http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
> LibreOffice 3 comes with a PDF Import plugin which allows you to edit
> PDF's with draw and save as pdf.

I think what the OP wants is a program that can deal with the Adobe's
'Fill In Form' type of PDF. The PDF Toolkit (I have
pdftk-1.12-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm on my system -- for CentOS 4 and don't
know if a el5 version exists) has a CLI program that can do this (you
need to dump the form information and create a FDF file). Otherwise, I
believe Adobe's Reader is the only program available that does this
with a GUI. I don't believe xpdf can do this and what OpenOffice /
LibreOffice do is something else (an import of the PDF in the writer
tool as a word processing document or something, which can then be
edited and re-exported as a PDF).

> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com
Deepwoods Software -- http://www.deepsoft.com/
() ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Scott Robbins 09-20-2011 02:48 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 04:04:41PM +0200, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:


>
> For your purpose though, I'm not sure xpdf can edit pdfs. When I have to
> do that I use AdobeReader from the adobe site.

xpdf cannot edit pdfs.


--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Mogens Kjaer 09-20-2011 03:18 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
On 09/20/2011 04:40 PM, John Doe wrote:
> So apparently no "libXm.so.4" in base, repoforge or elrepo...

There's a 32 bit version of openmotif in CentOS 5.7 x86_64.

It would probably need a few extra rpm's as well.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-20-2011 03:22 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
Robert Heller wrote:
> At Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:25:44 -0400 CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> wrote:
>> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> > Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> > > I had, in the past, a .pdf reader that also permitted me to fill in
>> > > some information, when I received a .pdf file.
>> > >
>> > > I have KPDF installed, but that seems to only have Reader
>> > > capability.
>> > >
>> > > Trying to install xpdf, with yum, I get this dependency error from
>> > > rpmforge:
>> > <snip>
>> > Possibly evince, which may already be installed.
>>
>> LibreOffice 3 comes with a PDF Import plugin which allows you to edit
>> PDF's with draw and save as pdf.
>
> I think what the OP wants is a program that can deal with the Adobe's
> 'Fill In Form' type of PDF. The PDF Toolkit (I have
<snip>
I was assuming that a) the form is a fill-in-certain-fields type form, not
that he wanted to edit the form itself, and b) that he had some reason for
not wanting Adobe Reader on his system, which of course allows you to fill
in the blanks. Our answer to saving that, which Adobe doesn't want you to
do, is to print it to the pdfprinter driver. It's uneditable after that,
of course.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Akemi Yagi 09-20-2011 03:22 PM

PDF Reader/Editor for CentOS 5.7 (32 bit)?
 
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk@lemo.dk> wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 04:40 PM, John Doe wrote:
>> So apparently no "libXm.so.4" in base, repoforge or elrepo...
>
> There's a 32 bit version of openmotif in CentOS 5.7 x86_64.

Right, as Nicolas pointed out in his post, openmotif 32-bit is missing
in the CentOS 5.7 i386 repo. I suppose/hope this will be corrected
sometime soon ...

Akemi
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.