-   -   LVM lvresize/lvextend requires some space in /etc to grow a logical volume? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/577791-lvm-lvresize-lvextend-requires-some-space-etc-grow-logical-volume.html)

Keith Keller 09-20-2011 02:19 AM

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:15:09PM -0400, Johnny Tan wrote:
> Anyway, here's the real issue with LVM, at least in CentOS-6:
>
> [root@jttest ~]# df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root
> 1548144 1548144 0 100% /
>
> [root@jttest ~]# lvextend -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
> /etc/lvm/archive/.lvm_jttest.pp.local_5523_51321310: write error
> failed: No space left on device
> Volume group "vg_main" metadata archive failed.
> /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device

Many LVM modifications make a backup of the lvm metadata, which
typically resides in /etc/lvm. You might try the -A n switch to
disable the automatic backups (after strongly heeding the advice
in man lvm; but as you said, on a test system, it's fine to play
with). On a production system, if your / fills to 0 available blocks
you've probably got bigger problems. :) So I imagine it's probably not
a problem the LVM developers are too worried about (i.e., they may feel
that the -A switch is sufficient to handle it).

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us