Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 AM
Stefan Held

Default LVM lvresize/lvextend requires some space in /etc to grow a logical volume?

Am Montag, den 19.09.2011, 19:15 -0400 schrieb Johnny Tan:
> Anyway, here's the real issue with LVM, at least in CentOS-6:

You would deal with the same issues in older lvm versions.

> [root@jttest ~]# df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root
> 1548144 1548144 0 100% /

Do i read that correctly and 1548144 1K Blocks are about 1,5G of Root
File System? Please tell me you have a seperated /var for log files.

If not, for production use, install a tool which gives you a warning
when reaching the 5% Level.

> [root@jttest ~]# lvextend -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
> /etc/lvm/archive/.lvm_jttest.pp.local_5523_51321310: write error
> failed: No space left on device
> Volume group "vg_main" metadata archive failed.
> /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device
>
> So I can't extend a logical volume if there's no space in /etc?

lvm tries to be helpfull if you ran into a power failure and can then
recover due his tmp files in /etc.

> Granted, I only need to delete like 2k worth of files in the same
> logical volume as /etc to make the above work, but I don't recall
> lvresize or lvextend requiring space in /etc to do a resize. Has this
> always been the case? I don't have any 5.x servers handy to test this
> with. Can anyone verify?

You will have the same problem, i think this procedure is the same in
all lvm2 versions, which seems a long time now.

> If this is new, this seems less-than-ideal. /etc itself rarely fills
> up, so, in theory, I could make it its own LV, but that's even less
> ideal. For now, I'll stick to deleting just enough to do the
> extend/resize.

This is why the older unix guys always seperate stuff from / which could
fill up the root file system.

--

Stefan Held VI has only 2 Modes:
obi unixkiste org The first one is for beeping all the time,

Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Johnny Tan

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Stefan Held <obi@unixkiste.org> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 19.09.2011, 19:15 -0400 schrieb Johnny Tan:
>> Anyway, here's the real issue with LVM, at least in CentOS-6:
>>
> You would deal with the same issues in older lvm versions.

Thanks Stefan. I guess I just never noticed previously.

>> [root@jttest ~]# df
>> Filesystem * * * * * 1K-blocks * * *Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root
>> * * * * * * * * * * * *1548144 * 1548144 * * * * 0 100% /
>>

> Do i read that correctly and 1548144 1K Blocks are about 1,5G of Root
> File System? Please tell me you have a seperated /var for log files.

As evidenced by the hostname, this is a test VM solely for
demonstration of this problem :-).

johnny

Old 09-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Johnny Tan

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Keith Keller
<kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:15:09PM -0400, Johnny Tan wrote:
>> Anyway, here's the real issue with LVM, at least in CentOS-6:
>>
>> [root@jttest ~]# df
>> Filesystem * * * * * 1K-blocks * * *Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root
>> * * * * * * * * * * * *1548144 * 1548144 * * * * 0 100% /
>>
>> [root@jttest ~]# lvextend -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
>> * /etc/lvm/archive/.lvm_jttest.pp.local_5523_51321310: write error
>> failed: No space left on device
>> * Volume group "vg_main" metadata archive failed.
>> * /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device
>
> Many LVM modifications make a backup of the lvm metadata, which
> typically resides in /etc/lvm. *You might try the -A n switch to
> disable the automatic backups (after strongly heeding the advice
> in man lvm; but as you said, on a test system, it's fine to play
> with).

That did the trick:

[root@jttest~]# lvresize -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
/etc/lvm/archive/.lvm_jttest.pp.local_1416_1029753972: write error
failed: No space left on device
Volume group "vg_main" metadata archive failed.
/etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device
[root@jttest~]# lvresize -A n -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
Extending logical volume lv_root to 2.00 GiB
WARNING: This metadata update is NOT backed up
Logical volume lv_root successfully resized
/etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device

(And the subsequent resize worked too.)

Thank you for pointing out the -A flag (missed the fine print of
common options being in man lvm).

As you noted, I would probably never run into this situation in a
non-testing environment and, if I did, would have much bigger
problems. This probably explains why I never saw it previously. Good
to know.

johnny

Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Johnny Tan wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway, here's the real issue with LVM, at least in CentOS-6:
>
> [root@jttest ~]# df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_root
> 1548144 1548144 0 100% /
>
> [root@jttest ~]# lvextend -L 2G /dev/vg_main/lv_root
> /etc/lvm/archive/.lvm_jttest.pp.local_5523_51321310: write error
> failed: No space left on device
> Volume group "vg_main" metadata archive failed.
> /etc/lvm/cache/.cache.tmp: write error failed: No space left on device
>
> So I can't extend a logical volume if there's no space in /etc?
<snip>
Um, just how do you have your system partitioned? I've never seen /etc on
its own partition; it's on the same partition as /... and if so, and
*that's* full, you've got a much bigger problem.

mark