FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 PM
"David C. Miller"
 
Default mdadm and drive identification?

I have a server that has 16 drives in it. They are connected to a 3ware 9650SE-16ML SATA RAID card. I have the card set to export all the drives as JBOD because I prefer Linux to do the reporting of drive and RAID health . I'm using mdadm to create a RAID6 with a hot spare. Doing this I can take the disks and put them on a completely different SATA controller/computer and still have the RAID intact. My problem is that I have no "for sure" way of matching a drive assigned to one of the /dev/sd[a-z]. Normally I could use a number of methods to match up what /dev/sd[a-z] is to a drives serial number. smartctl, hdparm, udevinfo, /dev/disk/by-uuid, or /dev/disk/by-id. However, the 3ware card obfuscates the drives from the OS and those methods don't work. The only way I know how to get a drives serial number is via the smartctl command like "smartctl -d 3ware,[0-15] -i /dev/twa0", but that does not tell me which sd[a-z] the drive is assigned to. Here is what I have tried.

Creating a single large partition with fdisk on each drive as linux autoraid to get a uuid. for some reason the OS assigns the same uuid and only one uuid to the last drive I partition from the 3ware card. Basically all drives on the 3ware card have the same uuid..

Using the /dev/disk/by-id/. For some reason the 3ware card does not always assign the same id to a drive after a reboot.

Is there another easy way I can positively ID a drive by serial number and the /dev/sd[a-z] that mdadm sees?

Thanks.
David.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default mdadm and drive identification?

>Is there another easy way I can positively ID a drive by serial number and the /dev/sd[a-z] that mdadm sees?

I don't know of a tool like tune2fs or *fstune that works for mdraid.
You might try on the mdadm list where Neil Brown hangs out...

Given the wealth of easy ways to manage and monitor the health of
an lsi card, I'd never entertain this on any of my systems that use them...
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:22 AM
"Philip Pinto"
 
Default mdadm and drive identification?

You might want to try

smartctl -a /dev/sda it would report something like this among other things
Device Model: WDC WD3200YS-01PGB0
Serial Number: WD-WCAPD3169758

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On
> Behalf Of Joseph L. Casale
> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:11 AM
> To: 'CentOS mailing list'
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] mdadm and drive identification?
>
> >Is there another easy way I can positively ID a drive by serial number
and
> the /dev/sd[a-z] that mdadm sees?
>
> I don't know of a tool like tune2fs or *fstune that works for mdraid.
> You might try on the mdadm list where Neil Brown hangs out...
>
> Given the wealth of easy ways to manage and monitor the health of an lsi
> card, I'd never entertain this on any of my systems that use them...
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
> ---------------------------------------------
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content.



---------------------------------------------
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default mdadm and drive identification?

>You might want to try
>
>smartctl -a /dev/sda it would report something like this among other things

Like the op said, it won't work through the hba.

But Megacli will enumerate this with a -PDList.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org