Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Jerry Geis

Default run without sendmail

I'm running centos on a "limited" environment. Is it ok to turn off
sendmail
and run without it.

Are there issues with doing that or is all Ok.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Jim Wildman

The machine will run fine. The question is do you need it to send you
email for alerting reasons?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Jerry Geis

> The machine will run fine. The question is do you need it to send you
> email for alerting reasons?
>
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Jerry Geis wrote:
>
> >/ I'm running centos on a "limited" environment. Is it ok to turn off
> />/ sendmail
> />/ and run without it.
> /
Jim

Thanks - I thought it would be ok - but just wanted to check.
No - there are no alerts from this particular device that I need/want.

jerry

Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Spiro Harvey

Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> I'm running centos on a "limited" environment. Is it ok to turn off
> sendmail
> and run without it.
> Are there issues with doing that or is all Ok.

Mail delivery can still work with sendmail turned off. The daemon is
just there to receive mail.

This guy explains it better than I can:

http://www.deer-run.com/~hal/sysadmin/sendmail.html

There's no reason to turn the MTA on unless you're running a mail
server. Non-mail servers should just have a cron job flushing the
submission queue just in case, but the MTA itself doesn't need to run.

--
Spiro Harvey Knossos Networks Ltd
(04) 460-2531 : (021) 295-1923 www.knossos.net.nz