Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Rob Kampen

Default javaWS under firefox on CentOS 5.6 fails to launch sound

Hi List,
Before I spend hours chasing this - my initial google search seems to
indicate that javaWS and JNLP apps with sound do not work on CentOS
systems. The developer's website says they support :-

*Linux*

*Supported OS’s and recommended versions of Java*

* Linux
o openSUSE 11 (64 bit with 64 bit JVM)
o Ubuntu 9.10 (64 bit with 64 bit JVM)
* Pentium III 1 GHz processor
* Sun Java 1.5.0_17 or Sun Java 1.6.0_12 or greater is recommended

I have Oracle's java v1.6.0_26 installed - the java app opens up and
appears to be functioning fine, however the wizard for setting up the
sound, even though it recognizes my sound card fails to actually play
any sound.

Running latest 5.7
[rkampen@robsws ~]$ uname -a
Linux robsws.ndgonline.net 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.centos.plus #1 SMP Mon
Jul 18 10:05:09 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[rkampen@robsws ~]$ rpm -qa |grep firefox
firefox-3.6.18-1.el5.centos.x86_64
Sound from within other browser based apps (flash etc) work just fine.
Anyone got a javaWS with sound application working on CentOS?
TIA - Rob