Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Maurice Batey

Default Can't boot Centos6 ext4 partition from GAG bootloader

Have just installed Centos-6 from a Linux Format DVD.
The install went smoothly, although the installer inisisted that
the root partition had to be formatted ext4.

When my GAG boot loader tried to boot from that root partition,
it was unable do so.

Elsewhere I read that GAG cannot boot from an ext4 parititon.

I there any way tp persuade Centos-6 to use an ext3 root partition?
--
//aurice
(Retired in Surrey, UK)

Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Maurice Batey

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:22:34 +0100, I wrote:

> there any way tp persuade Centos-6 to use an ext3 root partition?

Seems not, so - sadly - have crossed Centos off my list.

--
//aurice

Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:22:34 +0100, I wrote:
>
>> there any way tp persuade Centos-6 to use an ext3 root partition?
>
> Seems not, so - sadly - have crossed Centos off my list.

Sorry, I seem to have missed the start of this thread, and certainly don't
understand it. Certainly, all the systems I've upgraded to CentOS 6,
including the one I'm writing this on, are all booting off ext3 /boot
partitions.

mark

Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Drew

>> *there any way tp persuade Centos-6 to use an ext3 root partition?
>
> *Seems not, so - sadly - have crossed Centos off my list.

Did the installer try to install /boot in the same partition as / ?

CentOS6/SL6 does support ext4 as a root device (My webserver is
currently doing so) but I still keep /boot as ext3.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Maurice Batey

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:08:20 -0700, Drew wrote:

> Did the installer try to install /boot in the same partition as / ?

That's what it did.

> I still keep /boot as ext3.

OIC. So it needs an extra (ext3) /boot partition, as well as /.
Now, if the installer had offered that, things might have been different!

--
//aurice

Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 PM
John Hinton

On 9/19/2011 2:18 PM, Maurice Batey wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:08:20 -0700, Drew wrote:
>
>> Did the installer try to install /boot in the same partition as / ?
> That's what it did.
>
>> I still keep /boot as ext3.
> OIC. So it needs an extra (ext3) /boot partition, as well as /.
> Now, if the installer had offered that, things might have been different!

It is there. I don't recall exactly how I got to it... I think I
selected 'Customize' at the point where you can choose your packages and
then I selected that I wanted to set the partitions myself. I got the
same partition interface I've always gotten with CentOS installs... but
it wasn't as obvious during the install process. It seems like some of
these buttons might be sort of greyed out, but in fact they are live
buttons. Sorry I don't remember the exact process. It's been a couple of
weeks since doing the last install.

John Hinton

Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Maurice Batey

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:31:41 -0400, John Hinton wrote:

> selected 'Customize' at the point where you can choose your packages and
> then I selected that I wanted to set the partitions myself.

That's what I did.

> I got the
> same partition interface I've always gotten with CentOS installs... but
> it wasn't as obvious during the install process. It seems like some of
> these buttons might be sort of greyed out, but in fact they are live
> buttons.

I might just have another try, just out of curiousity!
Perhaps I missed what I was not then looking for.
--
//aurice