Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Default Was: Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7, is, programming with style

On 9/16/11, m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Remember, even among those who studied, a) half of them were in the bottom
> of their class, and b) too many are True Believers in the latest
> programming (not the P word!) paradigm; y'know, recursion is the answer to
> *everything*, or OO, or....

Part of the problem is sometimes otherwise intelligent customers who
heard of the latest buzzword be it XML/Ruby/Web 2.0/HTML5 start
demanding that you use it for their application regardless of whether
it's relevant or if they really know what it is about . If you try to
educate them any other way, they start thinking you're outdated.

On top of that, sometimes you have to work with people who are True
Believers or Purists...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/11, m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Remember, even among those who studied, a) half of them were in the bottom
>> of their class, and b) too many are True Believers in the latest
>> programming (not the P word!) paradigm; y'know, recursion is the answer to
>> *everything*, or OO, or....
>
> Part of the problem is sometimes otherwise intelligent customers who
> heard of the latest buzzword be it XML/Ruby/Web 2.0/HTML5 start
> demanding that you use it for their application regardless of whether
> it's relevant or if they really know what it is about . If you try to
> educate them any other way, they start thinking you're outdated.

Well, you can always lie to those people. :-)

I had a situation once when a client asked me to implement something
fairly trivial, but insisted that I use C++ (overkill would be an
understatement here...). Namely, they heard from some "expert" that
all "real programming" is done in C++... Naturally, I implemented the
solution as a bash script, and just told them "sure, no problem, it is
pure C++". They had no interest (nor the knowledge) to check it, and
everyone was happy. :-)

I tend to develop a relationship with clients where they trust my
decisions, so lying to them for their own benefit now and then doesn't
hurt, and I don't consider it too unethical.

I also remember the situation where one client received that typical
"somefile.exe is a virus" hoax e-mail (Windows users, of course), and
insisted that I check and "disinfect" all machines on the premises.
There was no point in trying to explain that such e-mails are hoaxes
and that the issue is nonexistent. Instead, I just told him "sure,
I'll get right on it", and then did absolutely nothing about it. The
guy didn't know how to check the presence of a file himself, so
tomorrow when he asked me about "the threat", I just replied that all
machines have been disinfected and there is nothing to worry about
anymore. He went on to commend my prompt reaction to others... ;-)

There are lots of such anecdotes. Being a sysadmin is a social skill
as much as a technical one. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko