FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 AM
Craig White
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 21:52 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> Just got my Lenovo TS130 with a Xeon E3-1225 Processor, 4GB RAM, blah, blah,
> blah......
>
> It won't boot CentOS 6.0 64 bit, Scientific Linux 64 bit 6.1, but will boot
> 32 bit CentOS 6.0.
>
> Any ideas? Otherwise, its going back to Amazon Monday and I'm done. Will
> keep my 5.7 Centos boxes until they rot!
----
Xeon processor? sounds old - might not run 64 bit. If you boot the 32
bit, what do you get for processor when you run dmidecode? (note -
there's quite a bit of data there - only want the process info.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 AM
Digimer
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On 09/16/2011 10:36 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 21:52 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:
>> Just got my Lenovo TS130 with a Xeon E3-1225 Processor, 4GB RAM, blah, blah,
>> blah......
>>
>> It won't boot CentOS 6.0 64 bit, Scientific Linux 64 bit 6.1, but will boot
>> 32 bit CentOS 6.0.
>>
>> Any ideas? Otherwise, its going back to Amazon Monday and I'm done. Will
>> keep my 5.7 Centos boxes until they rot!
> ----
> Xeon processor? sounds old - might not run 64 bit. If you boot the 32
> bit, what do you get for processor when you run dmidecode? (note -
> there's quite a bit of data there - only want the process info.
>
> Craig

That model is new and is 64bit.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com
Freenode handle: digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
Node Assassin: http://nodeassassin.org
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Kenneth Godee
 
Default This doesn't make sense

Email Lenovo support and ask about RedHat 6.0 support
for the TS130

The Lenovo TS130 is not listed on Redhat 6.0 system
Certified list.

https://hardware.redhat.com/list.cgi?product=Red+Hat+Hardware+Certification&qu icksearch=Lenovo

There are some notes on other think servers, maybe that
would help


On 9/16/2011 7:36 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 21:52 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:
>> Just got my Lenovo TS130 with a Xeon E3-1225 Processor, 4GB RAM, blah, blah,
>> blah......
>>
>> It won't boot CentOS 6.0 64 bit, Scientific Linux 64 bit 6.1, but will boot
>> 32 bit CentOS 6.0.
>>
>> Any ideas? Otherwise, its going back to Amazon Monday and I'm done. Will
>> keep my 5.7 Centos boxes until they rot!
> ----
> Xeon processor? sounds old - might not run 64 bit. If you boot the 32
> bit, what do you get for processor when you run dmidecode? (note -
> there's quite a bit of data there - only want the process info.
>
> Craig
>
>


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On 09/16/11 7:36 PM, Craig White wrote:
> Xeon processor? sounds old

Xeon E3 is a server/workstation version of the latest sandy bridge
processors, also known as core i-series



--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default This doesn't make sense

Hi,

On 09/17/2011 02:52 AM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> It won't boot CentOS 6.0 64 bit, Scientific Linux 64 bit 6.1, but will boot
> 32 bit CentOS 6.0.

Can you expand a bit on the 'wont boot', actually expand quite a lot.
Run the installer in debug mode and turn off all rhgb, quiet etc and see
what point and how far the system gets.

Also, some manufacturers have been known to turn off 64 bit ( lm )
support in BIOS when the device is sold with a 32bit Windows. Make sure
that its not the case.

Finally, you mentioned 5.7 but didnt say what your test results there
were. Does the 5.7/x86_64 installer boot for you ? if not, how far does
it get ? is that about the same point as the 6.0 installer ?

- KB
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM
"Thomas Dukes"
 
Default This doesn't make sense

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces@centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Karanbir Singh
> Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:34 AM
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] This doesn't make sense
>
> Hi,
>
> On 09/17/2011 02:52 AM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
> > It won't boot CentOS 6.0 64 bit, Scientific Linux 64 bit
> 6.1, but will
> > boot
> > 32 bit CentOS 6.0.
>
> Can you expand a bit on the 'wont boot', actually expand quite a lot.
> Run the installer in debug mode and turn off all rhgb, quiet
> etc and see what point and how far the system gets.

I get the 'Welcome' screen, I make the selection to install or upgrade, get
to 'Loading vmlinuz..', then it hangs.

Maybe the DVDs are bad. Can a 32 bit machine create a 64 bit install disc?

>
> Also, some manufacturers have been known to turn off 64 bit (
> lm ) support in BIOS when the device is sold with a 32bit
> Windows. Make sure that its not the case.

I looked through the BIOS but didn't see anything about 64 bit

>
> Finally, you mentioned 5.7 but didnt say what your test
> results there were. Does the 5.7/x86_64 installer boot for
> you ? if not, how far does it get ? is that about the same
> point as the 6.0 installer ?
>


I'm running 5.7 32 bit on 32 bit machines.

Thanks,

Eddie

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Keith Roberts
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> To: CentOS mailing list <centos@centos.org>
> From: Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] This doesn't make sense
>
> Hi,
>
> On 09/17/2011 02:52 AM, Thomas Dukes wrote:
>> It won't boot CentOS 6.0 64 bit, Scientific Linux 64 bit
>> 6.1, but will boot 32 bit CentOS 6.0.
>
> Can you expand a bit on the 'wont boot', actually expand quite a lot.
> Run the installer in debug mode and turn off all rhgb, quiet etc and see
> what point and how far the system gets.

Faulty burn media?

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Keith Roberts
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> I get the 'Welcome' screen, I make the selection to
> install or upgrade, get to 'Loading vmlinuz..', then it
> hangs.
>
> Maybe the DVDs are bad. Can a 32 bit machine create a 64
> bit install disc?

I had that with 32 bit installation. Try to boot in plain
ascii text mode, and see what the error message is please?

Mine was faulty burn media.

AFAIK an iso image is an iso image, whatever OS you use to
burn it to CD/DVD.

HTH

Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

All email addresses are challenge-response protected with
TMDA [http://tmda.net]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Always Learning
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 16:50 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Faulty burn media?

I use a lot to record television news, among my many other activities,
and estimate about 4% to 5% of DVDs are bad.

Paul.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Fajar Priyanto
 
Default This doesn't make sense

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 16:50 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> Faulty burn media?
>
> I use a lot to record television news, among my many other activities,
> and estimate about 4% to 5% of DVDs are bad.

Bad media is one high possibility.
If you have any other 64bit OS, i.e. Windows (yuk), Ubuntu, etc. Try them.
If they boot, then your Centos media is faulty.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org