-   -   centos product specification (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/576426-centos-product-specification.html)

Janez Kosmrlj 09-16-2011 11:45 AM

centos product specification

The page http://www.centos.org/product.html has product specifications for all centos releases except for centos6. Is there a reason why or did the site maintainers just forget about it.

Always Learning 09-16-2011 12:00 PM

centos product specification

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 13:45 +0200, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:

> The page http://www.centos.org/product.html has product specifications
> for all centos releases except for centos6. Is there a reason why or
> did the site maintainers just forget about it.

The Centos web site needs updating. Perhaps willing volunteers can
assist ?

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Ned Slider 09-17-2011 01:54 AM

On 09/16/2011 01:00 PM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 13:45 +0200, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
>
>> The page http://www.centos.org/product.html has product specifications
>> for all centos releases except for centos6. Is there a reason why or
>> did the site maintainers just forget about it.
>
> The Centos web site needs updating. Perhaps willing volunteers can
> assist ?

No, only a select few have the appropriate privileges to perform that task.

Always Learning 09-17-2011 02:23 AM

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 02:54 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 01:00 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 13:45 +0200, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
> >
> >> The page http://www.centos.org/product.html has product specifications
> >> for all centos releases except for centos6. Is there a reason why or
> >> did the site maintainers just forget about it.
> >
> > The Centos web site needs updating. Perhaps willing volunteers can
> > assist ?
> >

> No, only a select few have the appropriate privileges to perform that task.

Regrettably those few have not been performing much web site activity
for a noticeable period of time. For example, see below.

Its time to express thanks to the previous web team and invite fresh
volunteers to continue the work.

Regards,

Paul.

The CentOS Development Team

The group of people who build CentOS are known as the CentOS Development
Team. The team includes:

CentOS-2 - John Newbigin

CentOS-3 - Tru Huynh, Pasi Pirhonen

CentOS-4 - Johnny Hughes, Karanbir Singh, Pasi Pirhonen, Jim Perrin,
Ralph Angenendt

CentOS-5 - Johnny Hughes, Karanbir Singh, Jim Perrin, Ralph Angenendt,
Patrice Guay

Security, Web, Infrastructure - Donavan Nelson, Russ Herrold

Forum Administrators - Fabian Arrotin (arrfab), Akemi Yagi (toracat),
Phil Perry (NedSlider), Phil Schaffner (pschaff), Alan Bartlett
(burakkucat).

Mirror Administration - Tru Huynh

QA Team Leader - Tim Verhoeven

CentOS Blogs

Planet CentOS developer blogs.

CentOS Users

CentOS users as a group are a community of open source contributors and
users. Typical CentOS users are organizations and individuals that do
not need strong commercial support in order to achieve successful
operation.

CentOS : Community ENTerprise Operating System

CentOS 2, 3, 4 and 5 are built from publicly available open source SRPMS
provided by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS
conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policies and
aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to
remove upstream vendor branding and artwork).

CentOS-5

CentOS-5 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS

Before building the OS, non-free packages are altered. Non-free packages
would include those encumbered with a non-redistributable copyright or
trademark.

CentOS-5 supports the x86 and x86_64 (AMD64 and Intel EMT64)
architectures. Support for the ia64, ppc, and sparc architectures is in
progress. Updates are distributed via YUM repositories.

CentOS-4

CentOS-4 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS

Before building the OS, non-free packages are altered. Non-free packages
would include those encumbered with a non-redistributable copyright or
trademark.

CentOS-4 supports x86 (i586 and i686), x86_64 (AMD64 and Intel EMT64),
ia64, ppc, alpha, sparc, s390, and s390x architectures (The ppc and
sparc architectures are currently BETA). Updates are distributed via YUM
repositories (i386 only updates are also available via apt).

CentOS-3

CentOS-3 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/os/i386/SRPMS

Before building the OS, non-free packages are altered. Non-free packages
would include those encumbered with a non-redistributable copyright or
trademark.

CentOS-3 supports x86 (i586 and i686), x86_64 (AMD64 and Intel EMT64),
ia64, s390 and s390x architectures. Updates are distributed via YUM
repositories.

CentOS-2

CentOS-2 is a freely distributable OS built from the source at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/2.1AS/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

Before building the OS, non-free packages are altered. Non-free packages
would include those encumbered with a non-redistributable copyright or
trademark.

CentOS-2 supports x86 CPUs. Updates are distributed via yum
repositories.

Ned Slider 09-17-2011 02:32 AM

On 09/17/2011 03:23 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 02:54 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:

>>> The Centos web site needs updating. Perhaps willing volunteers can
>>> assist ?
>>>

>> No, only a select few have the appropriate privileges to perform that task.
>
> Regrettably those few have not been performing much web site activity
> for a noticeable period of time. For example, see below.
>
> Its time to express thanks to the previous web team and invite fresh
> volunteers to continue the work.

As I said above, this isn't something people can volunteer for - only a
very select few have the appropriate privileges to perform the task.
There are trust issues.

However, you can file a bug report against the website.

Always Learning 09-17-2011 02:44 AM

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 03:32 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:

> As I said above, this isn't something people can volunteer for - only
> a very select few have the appropriate privileges to perform the task.
> There are trust issues.
>
> However, you can file a bug report against the website.

What is the point in 'complaining' by filing a BUG report when it is
conspicuously evident the existing web person(s) can not cope because
they have insufficient time or have died or have withdrawn from an
active Centos involvement.

Ideally the Centos Management Board could use this list and other lists
to ask for web help.

You wrote about 'trust issues'. Surely it just a web site which can have
access restricted to all the web pages or some of them and that access
be withdrawn for 'trust issues' after the volunteers have finished
updating it ? That is very easy to do on Centos / Apache.

Another method is to give the volunteers a demo sub-domain, for example:
new.centos.org, and let the volunteers construct an updated version
there. When it is approved by the Centos Management Board, those
refreshed web pages can be moved to www.centos.org. Simple, eh (and not
a trace of SQL joins or views anywhere) :-)

Best regards,

Paul.

Ned Slider 09-17-2011 03:06 AM

On 09/17/2011 03:44 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 03:32 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
>
>> As I said above, this isn't something people can volunteer for - only
>> a very select few have the appropriate privileges to perform the task.
>> There are trust issues.
>>
>> However, you can file a bug report against the website.
>
> What is the point in 'complaining' by filing a BUG report when it is
> conspicuously evident the existing web person(s) can not cope because
> they have insufficient time or have died or have withdrawn from an
> active Centos involvement.

Because as far as the CentOS Project is concerned, if there isn't a bug
report the issue doesn't exist. Those that can fix the issue don't
necessarily read the users mailing list so the correct thing to do is
file a bug report.

> Ideally the Centos Management Board could use this list and other lists
> to ask for web help.
>
> You wrote about 'trust issues'. Surely it just a web site which can have
> access restricted to all the web pages or some of them and that access
> be withdrawn for 'trust issues' after the volunteers have finished
> updating it ? That is very easy to do on Centos / Apache.
>
> Another method is to give the volunteers a demo sub-domain, for example:
> new.centos.org, and let the volunteers construct an updated version
> there. When it is approved by the Centos Management Board, those
> refreshed web pages can be moved to www.centos.org. Simple, eh (and not
> a trace of SQL joins or views anywhere) :-)

There is an ongoing Website V2 sub-project that has been running for
some time:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2
http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/websitever2/

Feel free to get involved.

Always Learning 09-17-2011 03:29 AM

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 04:06 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:

> There is an ongoing Website V2 sub-project that has been running for
> some time:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2
> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/websitever2/

Can't see any new web site on the latter URL. I'm not a Flash user by
choice.

Perhaps the Centos web site should be simple, practical, helpful in
preference to emulating the very latest presentation gimmicks ? A larger
font size will be useful for most people over 40 years of age.

> Feel free to get involved.

My work load is excessive and will be so for probably another 6 to 12
months and I have told KB I'm willing to organise some Centos events. I
also have my own web sites of about 9,000 pages to overhaul and new
pages on another site to write, as news editor, and then publish.

Paul.

R P Herrold 09-17-2011 04:36 AM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Always Learning wrote:

>> However, you can file a bug report against the website.
>
> What is the point in 'complaining' by filing a BUG report when it is
> conspicuously evident the existing web person(s) can not cope because
> they have insufficient time or have died or have withdrawn from an
> active Centos involvement.

If there is no bug, there is no statement of a problem to slot
and to consider how to resolve. This was the rule from
before CentOS started, and remains the case. All bug filings
are read by several reviewers. If a person is unhappy with
how CentOS addresses matters and * needs * deterministic
timeframes for answers, go buy a SLA. If unhappy with the
project, leave and stop using its resources

As to withdrawal from listening here, has it ever occurred
that the sustained OT noise and disrespect of a resource
freely provided is in part causative of the ill you whine
about. It's just not worth the effort to wade through a
cesspool day after day. Entropy wins again

I understand from off list correspondence with you, 'Always',
that you consider it relaxation and sport to troll here and
'stir the pot'. Most others see a post from you and deem it a
major 'buzzkill', based on the complaints I get in email and
in IRC

Sad, as the tragedy of the commons, and the incessant shouting
of a troll, and the insistence of a few of their right to
always 'have the last word,' have, in part, sapped the life
out of what was a vibrant project three and four years ago

Ah, well, life goes on, and new greener pastures of fresh
projects await over the hill into tomorrow

-- Russ herrold

R P Herrold 09-17-2011 04:47 AM

centos product specification

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Always Learning wrote:

> Can't see any new web site on the latter URL. I'm not a Flash user by
> choice.

> Perhaps the Centos web site should be simple, practical, helpful in
> preference to emulating the very latest presentation gimmicks ? A larger
> font size will be useful for most people over 40 years of age.

yeah -- fiddling with websites is a major priority, compared
to, say, issuing a update that, frankly, was flawless on
several hundred machines I've run the 5.7 bump on. While I
wish QA could happen faster, some interesting and picky corner
cases were spotted and never bit the millions of machines
outside of QA test units

>> Feel free to get involved.
>
> My work load is excessive and will be so for probably another 6 to 12
> months and I have told KB I'm willing to organise some Centos events. I

what a crock -- go cry elsewhere, troll

I suppose I'll have to take up mailing list moderation issues
again -- The person I needed to talk with is already away for
the weekend, however. Fortunately we have already covered the
topic of addressing your spam and have consensus as to how to
proceed

It is _so_ much more useful and rewarding to be a kindergarten
playground monitor, than to do that pesky business of bug
testing and package building ... not

-- Russ herrold