Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 AM
John R Pierce

Default centos product specification

On 09/16/11 8:29 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> Perhaps the Centos web site should be simple, practical, helpful in
> preference to emulating the very latest presentation gimmicks ? A larger
> font size will be useful for most people over 40 years of age.

about 700 years ago, give or take a century, they invented these things
called 'eyeglasses' for us older folks.

I'm 57, have typical age induced astigmatism and have worn bifocals
since I was about 45... I use high res screens and have no trouble with
the centos site's readability, its fonts are the standard size for the
DPI I choose on my screens (typically 100dpi), with standard system
defaults, the centos fonts are pretty much the same size as wikipedia,
google searches, and nearly every other website.

I rather strongly dislike 'easy reader' pages with giant fonts, they
feel like they are dumbed down for 1st graders and take far too much
scrolling to read any significant content.

Anyways, most every browser has a zoom function for those who refuse to
wear corrective lenses, often alt + and alt - ...

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 00:29 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 09/16/11 8:29 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> > Perhaps the Centos web site should be simple, practical, helpful in
> > preference to emulating the very latest presentation gimmicks ? A larger
> > font size will be useful for most people over 40 years of age.

> about 700 years ago, give or take a century, they invented these things
> called 'eyeglasses' for us older folks.

Do you realise they were probably only 10 months of the year then and,
in the western world, New Year's Day was circa 1 April ? And such
luxuries as 'eye glasses' were not available to the vast majority of
people, many of whom had never heard of them.

> I'm 57, have typical age induced astigmatism and have worn bifocals
> since I was about 45... I use high res screens and have no trouble with
> the centos site's readability, its fonts are the standard size for the
> DPI I choose on my screens (typically 100dpi), with standard system
> defaults, the centos fonts are pretty much the same size as wikipedia,
> google searches, and nearly every other website.

Centos is a gigantic world-wide free service used on uncountable (tens?
hundreds? of) millions of machines from the latest data centre blade
servers to notebooks. Inevitably some people somewhere may not be able
to afford spectacles and High Resolution computer screens. Centos should
be about usability and accessibility, as an operating system and as
documentation including the web site.

I noticed the small size of the typeface* on www.centos.org. An
examination reveals

div class="blockContent"

CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution ....

A further examination reveals the font size is set in

centercolumn

font-size: 12px;

and it is not black

color: #464646;

> I rather strongly dislike 'easy reader' pages with giant fonts, they
> feel like they are dumbed down for 1st graders and take far too much
> scrolling to read any significant content.

No person suggested 'easy reader' whatever that is. No person suggested
'giant fonts'. What was stated was:

" A larger font size will be useful for most people
over 40 years of age. "

In the context of the small, 12 PX, typeface used on www.centos.org, a
larger font size means

13px, 14px, 15px, 16px, 17px, 18px ....... et cetera.

Thus my comment was reasonable, proportionate and sensible.

> Anyways, most every browser has a zoom function for those who refuse to
> wear corrective lenses, often alt + and alt - ...

Readers of material in browsers should not have to routinely alter their
browser's display settings to compensate for poorly designed web sites.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 00:36 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:

> I understand from off list correspondence with you, 'Always',
> that you consider it relaxation and sport to troll here and
> 'stir the pot'.

I am unaware of ever making those comments !

Paul.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 00:47 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Always Learning wrote:
>
> > Perhaps the Centos web site should be simple, practical, helpful in
> > preference to emulating the very latest presentation gimmicks ? A larger
> > font size will be useful for most people over 40 years of age.
>
> yeah -- fiddling with websites is a major priority, compared
> to, say, issuing a update that, frankly, was flawless on
> several hundred machines I've run the 5.7 bump on. While I
> wish QA could happen faster, some interesting and picky corner
> cases were spotted and never bit the millions of machines
> outside of QA test units

That is why I wrote:-

"The Centos web site needs updating. Perhaps willing
volunteers can assist ?"

"Another method is to give the volunteers a demo sub-domain,
for example: new.centos.org, and let the volunteers
construct an updated version there. When it is approved
by the Centos Management Board, those refreshed web pages
can be moved to www.centos.org. "

The same bunch of dedicated operating system providers can not
reasonable be expected to do every task connected with Centos. That is
perfectly obvious. Hence the suggestion about appealing for fresh
volunteers to revise the web site.

Paul.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 9/17/11, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:
> and it is not black
>
> color: #464646;

While the exact optimal shade is arguable (a tad too light IMO), past
ergonomics studies indicate that extreme contrast such as #000000 on
#ffffff is more tiring to read so can't really fault the devs on this
one.

>> Anyways, most every browser has a zoom function for those who refuse to
>> wear corrective lenses, often alt + and alt - ...
>
> Readers of material in browsers should not have to routinely alter their
> browser's display settings to compensate for poorly designed web sites.

Developers of websites should not have to alter their site design to
compensate for a minority's refusal to make full use of the tools at
their disposal.

It might be better to file the bug report against the website for the
missing documentation that to harp on the design

Old 09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 20:47 +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> It might be better to file the bug report against the website for the
> missing documentation that to harp on the design

It was essentially a suggestion the Centos Management Board appeal for

Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
"R - elists"

> what a crock -- go cry elsewhere, troll
>
> I suppose I'll have to take up mailing list moderation issues
> again -- The person I needed to talk with is already away for
> the weekend, however. Fortunately we have already covered
> the topic of addressing your spam and have consensus as to
> how to proceed
>
> It is _so_ much more useful and rewarding to be a
> kindergarten playground monitor, than to do that pesky
> business of bug testing and package building ... not
>
> -- Russ herrold

Russ!!!

too bad there isnt an online way to give money to CentOS project...

ill bet you would take in a boatload of money re: donations to censor and/or
kick "a.l. paul" off the lists

- rh

Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Mathieu Baudier

> ill bet you would take in a boatload of money re: donations to censor and/or
> kick "a.l. paul" off the lists

Yes, maybe it is time that this person is moderated away?