Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Default Dedup (again)

Hi all,
Back in March someone asked about deduplication in Centos and I
replied I'm using LessFS.
I want to report that my overall experience is that I have performance
issue up to the point that I would like to abandon it.

The OP was asking http://www.opendedup.org/
How is it?

Thanks
Fajar

Old 09-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, September 16, 2011 11:58 AM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> Back in March someone asked about deduplication in Centos and I
> replied I'm using LessFS.
> I want to report that my overall experience is that I have performance
> issue up to the point that I would like to abandon it.
>
> The OP was asking http://www.opendedup.org/
> How is it?

ZFS, ZFS, ZFS

Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 AM
John R Pierce

On 09/15/11 9:10 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> ZFS, ZFS, ZFS

dedup is an extremely new feature in ZFS and not even enabled in the
latest release of supported Solaris 10... so, I'd wonder if the A) the
source code for it is in the open source version (Oracle hasn't been
releasing new source code to much of anything) or B) its considered
stable yet.

frankly, the only place I'd consider using any sort of dedup is in a
backup system like backuppc, where its implemented at an application
level rather than transparently in the file system. as your file system
object count grows, it becomes astronomically more expensive.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> The OP was asking http://www.opendedup.org/
> How is it?

Hmm opendedup requires java which I'm not allowed to use.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Fajar Priyanto

Old 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org>
> wrote:
>> The OP was asking http://www.opendedup.org/
>> How is it?
>
> Hmm opendedup requires java which I'm not allowed to use.

Hey, like that's a bad thing? <g>

mark