Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Was, Upgrade from 5.6 => 5.7, is, programming with style and elegance

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Always Learning wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
>> Sometimes well-paid contract work can make the contractor feel like a
>> prostitute. Does one object to utter stupidity and walk-out or abandon
>> one's principals and stay ?
>
> I gues it depends on how much the hourly rate is

It depends on your ethics.

I've had to relocate 5 times in my life, halfway across the US each time,
leaving folks behind. The last time, in '09, with the depression in full
swing, I had a choice of staying in Chicago, and taking a third shift job
for six months or a year (before they'd let me shift to day), supporting
trading firms (that is, rich or wannabe rich assholes do their best to get
richer by screwing everyone else), that might eventually have been a lot
more money, or taking a good salary working for a federal contractor, and
having to relocate *again*, this time to DC.

I'm in DC. I'm doing something useful to society, and not prostituting
myself.

mark

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 08:51:23PM +0100, Always Learning wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 10:42 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
<SNIP>
>> Not a 'join' insight :-)
>
> I think this is how we all started learning SQL and writing web
> applications... without normalization. And it won't cause you much
> grief in simpler use case scenarios with smaller data sizes.
>
> You might take a stab at learning normalization though. It's really
> quite intuitive, helps keep your tables from "column bloat" and you can
> offload a lot of the processing to the SQL engine instead of passing
<snip>
First time I was working with SQL, in '91, my manager tried normalizing
the tables... with the result that one data file had more key than data in
each record, sorry, "row", oops, that's tuple, and it was a HUGE number of
rows.

I offered a redesign that had a fixed number of datum, and he took that.
Took the number of records vastly down.

Normalization is a torx screwdriver; it doesn't fit all uses.

mark