Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Sebastiano Pilla

Default Yum segmentation fault updating from 5.6 to 5.7

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
>
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.6K Feb 8 2011 CentOS-Vault.repo
>
> Do you need CentOS-Vault, as it includes all the packages
> from Centos 5.x upwards IIRC?

It's in there by default, since the first install on the box. All the
repositories listed inside this file have enabled=0 however.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Sebastiano Pilla

Craig White wrote:
> make sure that there isn't any yum/rpm processes running...
> ps aux|grep yum
> ps aux|grep rpm
>
> Once you've determined they aren't running, try...
>
> yum clean metadata
> yum clean dbcache
>
> (those should be executed when you execute 'yum clean all' but maybe it ain't gettin' done)
>
> and then
> yum update

Segmentation fault again:

[root@picard yum.repos.d]# ps aux | grep yum
root 18050 0.0 0.0 4016 684 pts/1 S+ 08:21 0:00 grep yum
[root@picard yum.repos.d]# ps aux | grep rpm

root 18052 0.0 0.0 4016 684 pts/1 S+ 08:21 0:00 grep rpm
[root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean metadata
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
6 metadata files removed
1 sqlite files removed
0 metadata files removed
[root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean dbcache
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
0 sqlite files removed
[root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum update

Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
* base: mirror.opendoc.net
* extras: mirror.opendoc.net
* updates: mirror.opendoc.net
base | 1.1 kB 00:00
base/primary | 961 kB 00:00
Segmentation fault

Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Kahlil Hodgson

On 15/09/11 16:22, Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean dbcache
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> 0 sqlite files removed
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum update
>
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> * base: mirror.opendoc.net
> * extras: mirror.opendoc.net
> * updates: mirror.opendoc.net
> base | 1.1 kB 00:00
> base/primary | 961 kB 00:00
> Segmentation fault

Perhaps your are downloading the same corrupted primary.xml.gz
from mirror.opendoc.net. Maybe try another mirror? Perhaps download
the file manually and compare?

Kal

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Kahlil Hodgson
<kahlil.hodgson@dealmax.com.au> wrote:
> Perhaps your are downloading the same corrupted primary.xml.gz
> from mirror.opendoc.net. *Maybe try another mirror? *Perhaps download
> the file manually and compare?

Yeah could be. And if your corporate network is behind a proxy, the
proxy may cache that corrupted files.

>> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum update
Maybe using Startrek name as server name is not a good idea.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:01:23 +0100, Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 00:35 +0200, Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
>
>> [root@picard ~]# ll /etc/yum.repos.d/
>> total 20K
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.9K Feb 8 2011 CentOS-Base.repo
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 631 Feb 8 2011 CentOS-Debuginfo.repo
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 626 Feb 8 2011 CentOS-Media.repo
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.6K Feb 8 2011 CentOS-Vault.repo
>
> Please add an extra repo to the same directory
>
> name: (your own choice) - something like this: centos-cr.repo
>
> ---------------contents---------------------
>
> # CentOS-CR.repo
> #
> # The continuous release ( CR ) repository contains rpms from the
> # next point release of CentOS, which isnt itself released as yet.
> #
> # Look at http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR
> # for more details about how this repository works and what users
> # should expect to see included / excluded
>
> [cr]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - CR
> baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/cr/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> enabled=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
>

> -------end------------------ (do not include this line)

I get the same segmentation fault, I don't think that adding this new
repository is going to change the fact that somehow the files for the
base repository are corrupted:

[root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean all
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
[root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum install httpd
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
Determining fastest mirrors
* base: mirror.opendoc.net
* extras: mirror.opendoc.net
* updates: mirror.opendoc.net
base | 1.1 kB
00:00
base/primary | 961 kB
00:00
Segmentation fault

Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:44:59 +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Kahlil Hodgson
> <kahlil.hodgson@dealmax.com.au> wrote:
>> Perhaps your are downloading the same corrupted primary.xml.gz
>> from mirror.opendoc.net. *Maybe try another mirror? *Perhaps
>> download
>> the file manually and compare?

This is a good idea, however I don't know how can I force yum to use
another mirror. Do you have any suggestion?

> Yeah could be. And if your corporate network is behind a proxy, the
> proxy may cache that corrupted files.

I've set up the network in question and this box (as well as the other
boxes in the other datacenters which exhibit the same problem) is not
behind a proxy, so we can exlude the corruption of downloaded files.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 08:22 +0200, Sebastiano Pilla wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > make sure that there isn't any yum/rpm processes running...
> > ps aux|grep yum
> > ps aux|grep rpm
> >
> > Once you've determined they aren't running, try...
> >
> > yum clean metadata
> > yum clean dbcache
> >
> > (those should be executed when you execute 'yum clean all' but maybe it ain't gettin' done)
> >
> > and then
> > yum update
>
> Segmentation fault again:
>
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# ps aux | grep yum
> root 18050 0.0 0.0 4016 684 pts/1 S+ 08:21 0:00 grep yum
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# ps aux | grep rpm
>
> root 18052 0.0 0.0 4016 684 pts/1 S+ 08:21 0:00 grep rpm
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean metadata
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> 6 metadata files removed
> 1 sqlite files removed
> 0 metadata files removed
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum clean dbcache
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> 0 sqlite files removed
> [root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum update
>
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
> * base: mirror.opendoc.net
> * extras: mirror.opendoc.net
> * updates: mirror.opendoc.net
> base | 1.1 kB 00:00
> base/primary | 961 kB 00:00
> Segmentation fault
----
sounds like someone did some manual mucking in /etc/yum.repos.d

You probably want to start disabling some of the configured repo's
in /etc/yum.repos.d... 'enabled = 0' - I'd probably start by making sure
that all non-CentOS repo's were disabled though it does seem like you
don't get very far through the repo list.

At the point where you stop getting the segfault, you will be able to
identify which repo has a configuration issue.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:10:50 +0200, sebastiano@datafaber.net wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:44:59 +0800, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Kahlil Hodgson
>> <kahlil.hodgson@dealmax.com.au> wrote:
>>> Perhaps your are downloading the same corrupted primary.xml.gz
>>> from mirror.opendoc.net. *Maybe try another mirror? *Perhaps
>>> download
>>> the file manually and compare?
>
> This is a good idea, however I don't know how can I force yum to use
> another mirror. Do you have any suggestion?

Update: yum chose to use another mirror and it failed in the exact same
way.

[root@picard yum.repos.d]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, priorities
Determining fastest mirrors
* base: mirrors.ircam.fr
* extras: mirrors.ircam.fr
* updates: mirrors.ircam.fr
base | 1.1 kB 00:00
base/primary | 961 kB 00:00
Segmentation fault

So either several mirrors all have the same corrupted file, or my box
is generating a corrupted file each time. I would tend towards the
second hypothesis, since other people have successfully updated their
5.6 installations to 5.7.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 15:18 +0200, sebastiano@datafaber.net wrote:

> Update: yum chose to use another mirror and it failed in the exact
> same way.

Time for a file check on your disk.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:30:01 +0100, Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 15:18 +0200, sebastiano@datafaber.net wrote:
>

>> Update: yum chose to use another mirror and it failed in the exact
>> same way.

I could do that, but it is again extremely unlikely that 6 disks on 6
different boxes fail in the exact same way when running the same yum
command... I'll keep that as the last option before a complete wipe and
reinstall.