Old 09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

Default Yum update to 5.7 unexpected results

I have a couple machines running 5.6 fully updated from cr repo.* When I did 'yum update' this morning it found 8 updates:

****** centos-release-5-7.el5

****** centos-release-notes-5.7-0

*** ghostscript 8.70-6.el5_7.3

*** nspr 4.8.8-1.el5_7

*** nss 3.12.10-4.el5

*** nss-tools 3.12.10-4.el5

****** ntp-4.2.2p1-15.el5

****** initscripts-8.45.38-2.el5

However yum reported 404 on everything but ntp and initscripts.* I installed ntp and initscripts individually and yum continued to report 404 on the rest of the updates on both machines.* One machine i386, the other x86_64.

I did a 'yum clean all' followed by 'yum update' and it installed centos-release and centos-release-notes but not nss, nss-tools, ghostscript or nspr updates.

[]# cat /etc/redhat-release

CentOS release 5.7 (Final)

[]# rpm -q nss nss-tools ghostscript nspr

nss-3.12.8-4.el5_6

nss-tools-3.12.8-4.el5_6

ghostscript-8.70-6.el5

nspr-4.8.6-1.el5_5

Both machines had identical results and appear to be fully updated to 5.7 but with at least four packages not updated.* I don't think this is an intended result.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

B.J.

CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)

Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 09/14/2011 05:38 PM, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> I have a couple machines running 5.6 fully updated from cr repo. When I
> did 'yum update' this morning it found 8 updates:
> centos-release-5-7.el5
> centos-release-notes-5.7-0
> ghostscript 8.70-6.el5_7.3
> nspr 4.8.8-1.el5_7
> nss 3.12.10-4.el5
> nss-tools 3.12.10-4.el5
> ntp-4.2.2p1-15.el5
> initscripts-8.45.38-2.el5

these are all updates released in the last 2 days, I suspect you were
just hitting a mirror machine that did not have the entire rpms/ content
in sync as yet.

If you continue to see this issue, please open an issue report at
bugs.centos.org and provide some details about what mirrors your machine
is hitting ( usually, the fastest-mirror's timedhosts file is a good
thing to check for this info )

- KB

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 21:02 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

On 09/14/2011 05:38 PM, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> I have a couple machines running 5.6 fully updated from cr repo. When I
> did 'yum update' this morning it found 8 updates:
> centos-release-5-7.el5
> centos-release-notes-5.7-0
> ghostscript 8.70-6.el5_7.3
> nspr 4.8.8-1.el5_7
> nss 3.12.10-4.el5
> nss-tools 3.12.10-4.el5
> ntp-4.2.2p1-15.el5
> initscripts-8.45.38-2.el5

these are all updates released in the last 2 days, I suspect you were
just hitting a mirror machine that did not have the entire rpms/ content
in sync as yet.

If you continue to see this issue, please open an issue report at
bugs.centos.org and provide some details about what mirrors your machine
is hitting ( usually, the fastest-mirror's timedhosts file is a good
thing to check for this info )

- KB

Many thanks.* That was indeed the situation.* Sorry I panicked prematurely. ;-/

Cheers.