Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM
James Nguyen

Default Cons of disabling *.i386 and *.i686 in a 64bit Distribution

Can anybody give me a reason why this would be a bad idea. *So the premise for this question is that I setup an exclude=*.i368,*.i686 in my yum.conf. *While doing a yum update I come across missing package dependencies for instance mkinitrd for the i386 package. *I noticed there is already one for x86_64. *I realized during the kickstart install that some of these *.i386 got installed before I could enable the exclude in the yum.conf.

So the questions I pose is... why are some of these *.i386 packages getting installed on a 64bit distro? is there any harm is removing them all?
I guess I could spin up a virtual and try, but wanted to see what the census already knows about this matter as well.
Thanks!--

james h nguyen |*lead systems architect |*www.callfire.com*|*1.949.625.4263

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM
"B.J. McClure"

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 11:01 +0100, Michael Simpson wrote:
> On 15 September 2011 19:58, James Nguyen <james@callfire.com> wrote
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:02 AM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> From: James Nguyen <james@callfire.com>

> On our 2 colo servers we have one with i386/i686 only and on the other
> we are x86_64 only. Everything works (typical LAMP / Sendmail etc
> install)
> I just followed the intstructions from the centos wiki
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-357346ff0bf7c14b0849c3bcce39677aaca528e9
>
> i used to regret the lack of a 64 bit native flash plugin which was
> the only reason to not move to a pure 64bit enviroment for the desktop
> but now that you-tube can serve html5 i no longer care
>
> mike

There is a 64 bit flashplayer now that seems to work fine on 5.x and
6.x. This is an old link so not sure if it's still good.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html

Sorry for the OT post.

Cheers,
B.J.