-   -   Cannot mount NTFS filesystems under Xfce4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/575137-cannot-mount-ntfs-filesystems-under-xfce4.html)

Keith Roberts 09-13-2011 04:37 PM

Cannot mount NTFS filesystems under Xfce4

I have installed the following 2 packages on Centos 5.6, and
used GParted to successfully create an 8GB NTFS partition,
on some unused HDD space.

Installed Packages
Name : ntfsprogs
Arch : i386
Version : 1.13.1
Release : 6.el5
Size : 1.1 M
Repo : installed

Name : ntfsprogs-gnomevfs
Arch : i386
Version : 1.13.1
Release : 6.el5
Size : 20 k
Repo : installed

I'm running Xfce 4, and when I try to mount the NTFS file
system, I get an error box with 'ntfs - unknown filetype'

I've done a complete reboot of this box.

Are there some packages I have missing?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 09-13-2011 04:59 PM

Keith Roberts wrote:
> I have installed the following 2 packages on Centos 5.6, and
> used GParted to successfully create an 8GB NTFS partition,
> on some unused HDD space.
> I'm running Xfce 4, and when I try to mount the NTFS file
> system, I get an error box with 'ntfs - unknown filetype'

you need fuse-ntfs-3g , get it from repoforge.

Keith Roberts 09-13-2011 05:26 PM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> From: Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Cannot mount NTFS filesystems under Xfce4
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I have installed the following 2 packages on Centos 5.6, and
>> used GParted to successfully create an 8GB NTFS partition,
>> on some unused HDD space.
>> I'm running Xfce 4, and when I try to mount the NTFS file
>> system, I get an error box with 'ntfs - unknown filetype'
>
> you need fuse-ntfs-3g , get it from repoforge.

Thanks Nicolas. Is that as well as what I already have
installed, or instead of?

Regards,

Keith

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 09-13-2011 05:44 PM

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> I have installed the following 2 packages on Centos 5.6, and
>>> used GParted to successfully create an 8GB NTFS partition,
>>> on some unused HDD space.
>>> I'm running Xfce 4, and when I try to mount the NTFS file
>>> system, I get an error box with 'ntfs - unknown filetype'
>>
>> you need fuse-ntfs-3g , get it from repoforge.
>
> Thanks Nicolas. Is that as well as what I already have
> installed, or instead of?

fuse-ntfs-3g is sufficient for rw access to files on ntfs partitions,
but keeping what you have shouldn't harm.

also, read this:
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFS

Keith Roberts 09-13-2011 06:19 PM

Cannot mount NTFS filesystems under Xfce4

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> From: Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Cannot mount NTFS filesystems under Xfce4
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:

>>> you need fuse-ntfs-3g , get it from repoforge.
>>
>> Thanks Nicolas. Is that as well as what I already have
>> installed, or instead of?
>
> fuse-ntfs-3g is sufficient for rw access to files on ntfs partitions,
> but keeping what you have shouldn't harm.
>
> also, read this:
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFS

Thanks again Nicolas.

Somehow I managed to install ntfs-3g, instead of fuse-ntfs-3g:

Installed Packages
Name : ntfs-3g
Arch : i386
Epoch : 2
Version : 2011.4.12
Release : 3.el5
Size : 623 k
Repo : installed

And it works OK now thanks! I have managed to mount the NTFS
HDD partition, and also copied some large files to it OK.

So that's really handy thing to be able to do.