-   -   CentOS 6, Broadcom, missing wlan0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/574581-centos-6-broadcom-missing-wlan0.html)

"Michael D. Berger" 09-12-2011 01:55 PM

CentOS 6, Broadcom, missing wlan0

This is a continuation of my previous thread:
"Broadcom Wifi Problem"

Following a post from "James A. Peltier", who said:

You can use the rpmforge version or compile it
yourself. I've used this one with success using the
details described earlier.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

I did however have to patch it with

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/5_100_82_38.patch

the driver built and installed fine. In fact, I'm using it
on my laptop as we speak.

On my CentOS 6, with BCM4311 802.11b/g. I installed:

hybrid-portsrc_x86_32-v5_100_82_38.tar.gz

With NetworkManager shut off, I see:

#lsmod | grep "b43|ssb|wl"
wl 2635904 0
lib80211 4858 1 wl

and I try to start with:

ifup wlan0

I put debug in the script, following into nested scripts,
and see that it ultimately fails because:

ip -o link

fails to return wlan0 . I rechecked the MAC address,
which is correct. Also ifconfig and iwconfig do
not see wlan0 .

Also, the wlan0 light on the box doesn't turn from
red to green. If, however, I reenable b43, the
light does turn green. Also, on this dual boot box,
the WinXP partition runs WLAN0 with no problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike.

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 09-12-2011 02:11 PM

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> This is a continuation of my previous thread:
> "Broadcom Wifi Problem"

I didn't follow the whole thread, but have you tried building the nosrc
rpm provided by elrepo?
Instructions are very clear, and it worked fine for me a few months back
for a new laptop (can't remember the brand or model) where I was
installing C6 x86_64.
http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

"Michael D. Berger" 09-12-2011 07:22 PM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:11:49 +0200, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> This is a continuation of my previous thread:
>> "Broadcom Wifi Problem"
>
> I didn't follow the whole thread, but have you tried building the nosrc
> rpm provided by elrepo?
> Instructions are very clear, and it worked fine for me a few months back
> for a new laptop (can't remember the brand or model) where I was
> installing C6 x86_64.
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

I followd the instructions at:
http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod
and I certainly saw some new stuff installed, and I am impressed with
the approach to the copyright problem.

I got as far as:
# modprobe wl
FATAL: Error inserting wl
(/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.i686/extra/wl/wl.ko): Unknown symbol
in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

# dmesg
wl: Unknown parameter `nohwcrypt'

But I forgot the crypt library so I did:

# modprobe -r b43 b43legacy ssb wl lib80211
# modprobe lib80211_crypt_tkip
# modprobe wl
FATAL: Error inserting wl
(/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.i686/extra/wl/wl.ko): Unknown symbol
in
module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
#dmesg
lib80211_crypt: unregistered algorithm 'NULL'
lib80211: common routines for IEEE802.11 drivers
lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
lib80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'TKIP'
wl: Unknown parameter `nohwcrypt'

I then googed around and did:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.i686/extra/wl/wl.ko nohwcrypt=1
and it did -1: Unknown Symbol.

Since this error is known to be related to the crypt libraries,
I redid them. It didn't help, but just for grins I tried:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.i686/extra/wl/wl.ko

It retrurned no error. It seems that it got the nohwcrypt=1 once
and doesn't want to see it again. I note that the hard drive
partition is encrypted, in case this is relevant.

BUT the problem posted in this OP of this thread still persists.
Perhaps this installation is good, but wlan0 is still not seen.

Here is my ifcfg-wlan0:
DEVICE="wlan0"
HWADDR="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="no"
TYPE=wireless
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
NAME="System wlan0"
WPA=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ESSID="xxxxxxxxxxxx"
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Auto
RATE=Auto
SECURITYMODE=restricted

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Mike.

"Michael D. Berger" 09-13-2011 02:11 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:22:24 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:11:49 +0200, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>
>> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>>> This is a continuation of my previous thread:
>>> "Broadcom Wifi Problem"
>>
>> I didn't follow the whole thread, but have you tried building the nosrc
>> rpm provided by elrepo?
>> Instructions are very clear, and it worked fine for me a few months
>> back for a new laptop (can't remember the brand or model) where I was
>> installing C6 x86_64.
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

[...]

After doing a patch to get it to compile, I installed wl.ko
from the older version:
broadcom-sta_5.10.91.9.3.orig.tar.gz
without changing anything else from the constructed rpm.

I now get resulis from:
ip link
and the beginniongs of a connection. But I get:

Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Yes, twice. Googing around I see that this is an old problem.
I tried fiddling with the password. Sometimes the password
is echoed in the error report, and sometimes not. I even tried
a hex password. Nothing worked.

More suggestions, or perhaps a better driver, would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.