Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 AM
"Christopher Hawker"

Default Approximate size of CentOS mirror

Hey all,

Roughly, how much disk space would I need on my server to mirror the entire ISO collection and the repository files. Also, how would I tell my server to only mirror CentOS 5 and 6?

--
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on +61 478 241 896.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 AM
"James A. Peltier"

Current full mirror size is 122G

| Roughly, how much disk space would I need on my server to mirror the
| entire ISO collection and the repository files. Also, how would I tell
| my server to only mirror CentOS 5 and 6?
|
| --
| If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on +61
| 478 241 896.
|
| Regards,
| Christopher Hawker

James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
Phone : 778-782-6573
Fax : 778-782-3045
E-Mail : jpeltier@sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
I will do the best I can with the talent I have

Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Alan McKay

Is there a list of which branches take up how much space?
I'm currently rsyncing a mirror to my laptop but I don't have a very
big HD. I"ve excluded iso and SRPMS because I do not need them, but
would like to know how much the rest is going to take up.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:24 AM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier@sfu.ca> wrote:
> Current full mirror size is 122G

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Alan McKay

BTW, here is the mirror I am copying from, and below that is the rsync
command I am using

http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/centos/6.0/

rsync -avSHP --delete --exclude-from rsync.excl

and here is rsync.excl file :
---snip---
SRPMS/
local/
isos/
---snip---

Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Alan McKay

Oh yeah, and I am only taking the 6.0 branch - none of the previous releases.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/11/2011 11:08 PM, Alan McKay piše:
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Alan McKay<alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a list of which branches take up how much space?
>>> I'm currently rsyncing a mirror to my laptop but I don't have a very
>>> big HD. I"ve excluded iso and SRPMS because I do not need them, but
>>> would like to know how much the rest is going to take up.

> Oh yeah, and I am only taking the 6.0 branch - none of the previous
> releases.

First of all, please do not top post, write your replies below the
original test (where ever possible.)

For x86_64 brach, 2 x ISO + all regular repos + cr = ~11GB on my mirror.
i386 should be even smaller.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Alan McKay

> First of all, please do not top post, write your replies below the
> original test (where ever possible.)

Sorry, I respectfully disagree - there are some circumstances where
top posting is more appropriate, and that was one of them -
essentially just adding a quick "p.s." to a previous message of my own

> For x86_64 brach, 2 x ISO + all regular repos + cr = ~11GB on my mirror.
> i386 should be even smaller.

Thanks for letting me know. My HD will have enough for that no problem.

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 11-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Alan McKay

OK, my first 2 replies - my bad, I agree with your disapproval

<sigh>

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 PM
John R Pierce

On 09/11/11 10:19 PM, Christopher Hawker wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Roughly, how much disk space would I need on my server to mirror the entire ISO collection and the repository files. Also, how would I tell my server to only mirror CentOS 5 and 6?

my mirror is using lftp rather than rsync, as I was having consistent
issues with rsync timing out and bombing.

my sync script looks like...

#!/usr/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/lftp -c 'open ftp://mirror.freedomvoice.com && lcd
/export/mirror &&
mirror --continue --verbose=1 -x ia64 -x s390 -x s390x -x
alpha -x SRPMS centos'

I am including the ISOs, but excluding Itanium, s390 and s390x, Alpha,
and SRPMS...

my current mirror sizes look like... (I manually deleted lines that
were trivially small, so this just shows the bulky stuff)

$ du -hs .
177G .

$ du -hs *
36G 4.8
7.9G 5.3
8.0G 5.4
18G 5.5
38G 5.6
29G 5.7
40G 6.0

I'm not sure why I have 5.{3|4|5|6} still, I better look.... hmmm.
those have .ISO's in them that weren't cleaned up with the version
rollover? 5.6 appears to still be complete?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast