Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default CentOS 6: ethernet "ifconfig up" failure

On my CentOS 6 partition of my laptop:

First note that for this test, NetworkManager is not
running because I did:
chkconfig --del NetworkManager
and then rebooted.

Here is my ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE="eth0"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT=no
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.2.5
PREFIX=24
GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
DNS1=192.168.2.1
DNS2=192.168.2.1
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="System eth0"
UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

I reboot to level3, do startx (to KDE 4) then do:
# ifconfig eth0 up
# ping 192.168.9.1
connect: Network is unreachable

If I edit ifcfg-eth0 to set
ONBOOT=yes
and reboot, I get a proper connection.

So why is "ifconfig eth0 up" not connecting?

Thanks for your help.
Mike.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM
"Rodrigo K. Ferreira"

Hello,

Please use ethtool ethX and verify if link is detected or not.

Att.,

Rodrigo Kellermann Ferreira

[...]

* >

Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Bernd Bartmann

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my CentOS 6 partition of my laptop:
>
> First note that for this test, NetworkManager is not
> running because I did:
> * chkconfig --del NetworkManager
> and then rebooted.
>
> Here is my ifcfg-eth0:
>
> DEVICE="eth0"
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> ONBOOT=no
> HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=192.168.2.5
> PREFIX=24
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> DNS1=192.168.2.1
> DNS2=192.168.2.1
> DEFROUTE=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="System eth0"
> UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I reboot to level3, do startx (to KDE 4) then do:
> # ifconfig eth0 up
> # ping 192.168.9.1
> connect: Network is unreachable
>
> If I edit ifcfg-eth0 to set
> * ONBOOT=yes
> and reboot, I get a proper connection.
>
> So why is "ifconfig eth0 up" not connecting?

"ifconfig" is a low level tool that does not parse the config files
like ifcfg-eth0. You'll either have to use:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.5
route add default gw 192.168.2.1

or

ifup eth0

The latter one is a script that parses all the config files.

Best regards,
Bernd.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Andrew Dorozhkin

11.09.2011 22:57, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On my CentOS 6 partition of my laptop:
>
> First note that for this test, NetworkManager is not
> running because I did:
> chkconfig --del NetworkManager
> and then rebooted.
>
> Here is my ifcfg-eth0:
>
> DEVICE="eth0"
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
> ONBOOT=no
> HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=192.168.2.5
> PREFIX=24
> GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
> DNS1=192.168.2.1
> DNS2=192.168.2.1
> DEFROUTE=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="System eth0"
> UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I reboot to level3, do startx (to KDE 4) then do:
> # ifconfig eth0 up
> # ping 192.168.9.1
> connect: Network is unreachable
>
> If I edit ifcfg-eth0 to set
> ONBOOT=yes
> and reboot, I get a proper connection.
>
> So why is "ifconfig eth0 up" not connecting?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Mike.

You should not use 'PREFIX=...' parameter if you prefer static network
settings
functionality provided by initscripts rather than NM daemon. I believe
is is not honored
by ifup* scripts and is not documented by el6 deployment guide either. Use
'NETMASK=...' instead and then issue the command 'ifup eth0' to bring
your NIC up
and running.