-   -   XORG and LCD Projector (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/574169-xorg-lcd-projector.html)

Always Learning 09-11-2011 01:42 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 20:34 +0700, Andrew 'Dewa' B. Osmond wrote:

> But when I press Fn + F7 to activate dual monitor between my notebook
> and LCD Projector it goes to blank screen. FYI, the LCD Projector is
> NEC but I don't know the series.

In my limited experience with notebooks and laptops, I found that
repeatedly pressing the keys works. The sequence I found was (not
necessarily in this order)

screen
external device
screen and external device

Paul.

"Andrew 'Dewa' B. Osmond" 09-11-2011 02:20 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

Here is my complete xorg.conf, Paul.

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
******* Identifier**** "single head configuration"
******* Screen***** 0* "Screen0" 0 0

******* InputDevice*** "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
******* InputDevice*** "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
******* Identifier* "Keyboard0"

******* Driver***** "kbd"
******* Option***** "XkbModel" "pc105"
******* Option***** "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
******* Identifier* "Synaptics"

******* Driver***** "synaptics"
******* Option***** "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
******* Option***** "Protocol" "auto-dev"
******* Option***** "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"

EndSection

Section "Device"
******* Identifier* "Videocard0"
******* Driver***** "openchrome"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
******* Identifier "Screen0"

******* Device**** "Videocard0"
******* DefaultDepth**** 24
******* SubSection "Display"
*************** Viewport** 0 0
*************** Depth**** 24
*************** Modes*** "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

******* EndSubSection
EndSection**************************************** *******

The sequence just device -> screen. I have no external device configuration. Maybe you know how to configure external device?

Robert Heller 09-11-2011 02:25 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

> dear guys,
>
> I have a problem between my CentOS 5.5 (on Axioo notebook) and LCD
> Projector. When I connect my notebook to LCD Projector, it can detect my
> notebook.

VGA or DVI?

> But when I press Fn + F7 to activate dual monitor between my notebook and
> LCD Projector it goes to blank screen. FYI, the LCD Projector is NEC but I
> don't know the series.

Which screen is blank? The notebook's or the LCD Projector or both?

> I've tried to change display using dual head monitor but it has no effects.

There are two different things going on here.

"dual head monitor" normally means that the two monitors display
*different* stuff. This *usually* implies that the *video card*
specificly supports two independent monitors, usually by having two
frame buffers and two video outputs. This usually also implies *two*
Device sections in xorg.conf, eg you (logically) have two video cards
installed (even if they are both on the same physical 'card' or even same
physical 'chip').

*Most* laptops/notebooks DON'T have "dual head monitor" capable video
cards. What they have is a video output that goes to a logical "Y"
connection: *one* frame buffer+video output circuit, going to two video
connections, one being the internal LCD and the other being the VGA (or
DVI with newer laptops/notebooks) connector.

The Fn + F7 generally toggles between two or three states:

Video goes to the internal screen.
Video goes to the external screen.
Video goes to both screens (*some* laptops/notebooks can't do this, esp.
if the scan rates are incompatible).

In all cases there is only one video 'Device'. The Fn + F7's logic is
like pluging in different monitors into the *one* video output
connection on a desktop.

> Do I need some driver??

Probably not. It might be that you need to have different things in
your Screen section, partitularly in the Display SubSection. It might
be that the LCD Projector cannot handle the display mode(s) specificed.
Is the LCD Projector displaying a message to the effect that an
unsupported sync rate or video mode in being used?

"Andrew 'Dewa' B. Osmond" 09-11-2011 02:52 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

@Christopher Hawker :
my laptop version is M54SR, old version of Axioo.

@Robert Heller :
VGA or DVI?
--> VGA

Which screen is blank? The notebook's or the LCD Projector or both?
--> LCD Projector

Is the LCD Projector displaying a message to the effect that an

unsupported sync rate or video mode in being used?

--> No. Nothing's happen. Just blank screen. I think it's becaused lcd projector mode maybe doesn't same with xorg but I don't know how to configure it.

> I have a problem between my CentOS 5.5 (on Axioo notebook) and LCD

> Projector. When I connect my notebook to LCD Projector, it can detect my

> notebook.

VGA or DVI?

> But when I press Fn + F7 to activate dual monitor between my notebook and

> LCD Projector it goes to blank screen. FYI, the LCD Projector is NEC but I

> don't know the series.

Which screen is blank? The notebook's or the LCD Projector or both?

> I've tried to change display using dual head monitor but it has no effects.

There are two different things going on here.

"dual head monitor" normally means that the two monitors display

*different* stuff. *This *usually* implies that the *video card*

specificly supports two independent monitors, usually by having two

frame buffers and two video outputs. *This usually also implies *two*

Device sections in xorg.conf, eg you (logically) have two video cards

installed (even if they are both on the same physical 'card' or even same

physical 'chip').

*Most* laptops/notebooks DON'T have "dual head monitor" capable video

cards. *What they have is a video output that goes to a logical "Y"

connection: *one* frame buffer+video output circuit, going to two video

connections, one being the internal LCD and the other being the VGA (or

DVI with newer laptops/notebooks) connector.

The Fn + F7 generally toggles between two or three states:

Video goes to the internal screen.

Video goes to the external screen.

Video goes to both screens (*some* laptops/notebooks can't do this, esp.

if the scan rates are incompatible).

In all cases there is only one video 'Device'. *The Fn + F7's logic is

like pluging in different monitors into the *one* video output

connection on a desktop.

> Do I need some driver??

Probably not. *It might be that you need to have different things in

your Screen section, partitularly in the Display SubSection. *It might

be that the LCD Projector cannot handle the display mode(s) specificed.

Is the LCD Projector displaying a message to the effect that an

unsupported sync rate or video mode in being used?

> and this is my xorg configuration :

> Section "Device"

> * * * * Identifier *"Videocard0"

> * * * * Driver * * *"openchrome"

> EndSection

> Section "Screen"

> * * * * Identifier "Screen0"

> * * * * Device * * "Videocard0"

> * * * * DefaultDepth * * 24

> * * * * SubSection "Display"

> * * * * * * * * Viewport * 0 0

> * * * * * * * * Depth * * 24

> * * * * * * * * Modes * *"1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

> * * * * EndSubSection

> EndSection

> Hope you guys can help me. Thanks.

> Andrew.

Robert Heller * * * * * * -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com

Deepwoods Software * * * *-- http://www.deepsoft.com/

() *ascii ribbon campaign -- against html e-mail

/ *www.asciiribbon.org * -- against proprietary attachments

Rob Kampen 09-11-2011 02:58 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

Andrew 'Dewa' B. Osmond wrote:

dear guys,

I have a problem between my CentOS 5.5 (on Axioo notebook) and LCD
Projector. When I connect my notebook to LCD Projector, it can detect my
notebook.
But when I press Fn + F7 to activate dual monitor between my notebook
and LCD Projector it goes to blank screen. FYI, the LCD Projector is NEC
but I don't know the series.
I've tried to change display using dual head monitor but it has no
effects. Do I need some driver??

and this is my xorg configuration :
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "openchrome"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks.

My experience is this is due to the internal screen having a resolution
that the external projector cannot handle.

Solution:
change your internal LCD screen resolution to one that the projector
understands.

HTH

Andrew.

Robert Heller 09-11-2011 03:19 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

> @Christopher Hawker :
> my laptop version is M54SR, old version of Axioo.
>
> @Robert Heller :
> VGA or DVI?
> --> VGA
>
> Which screen is blank? The notebook's or the LCD Projector or both?
> --> LCD Projector
>
> Is the LCD Projector displaying a message to the effect that an
> unsupported sync rate or video mode in being used?
> --> No. Nothing's happen. Just blank screen. I think it's becaused lcd
> projector mode maybe doesn't same with xorg but I don't know how to
> configure it.

Remove the '1280x800' video mode. It is likely that the LCD Projector
is a standard 4:3 video device (this is implied by being a VGA device)
and is not going to handle a (near) 16:9 (wide screen) video mode.
Unless the LCD Projector is really, really, really old, it should
handle 1024x768 without problems.

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:

> > wrote:
> >

> > > and this is my xorg configuration :
> > > Section "Device"
> > > Identifier "Videocard0"
> > > Driver "openchrome"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Screen"
> > > Identifier "Screen0"
> > > Device "Videocard0"
> > > DefaultDepth 24
> > > SubSection "Display"
> > > Viewport 0 0
> > > Depth 24
> > > Modes "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
^
This is probably the problem ___|

ken 09-11-2011 11:38 PM

XORG and LCD Projector

A long time ago I did this. I think I was using Suse 9.3 at the time.
(That's how long ago it was!!) It was so easy-- taking less than a
minute-- that I don't remember how I did it.

My "muttbox" is a Dell i600m. <Fn><F8> is the key to switch among the
video options we're talking about. This probably isn't any kind of a
standard, but unless you're positive <Fn><F7> is the right key combo,
you might want to try <Fn><F8>.

Make sure the projector is plugged in and then turned on before hitting
the CRT combo.

If an error reports the sync rate is different on the projector, change
the specs running the LCD (internal) monitor.

I didn't have to do this, but it might help in your situation: with
things connected, turned on, and set up as above, restart hal. This
will kick it to do a hardware rescan. (This has worked for me
hotplugging other hardware... never tried it in a projector (2nd
monitor) situation.)

Hope you get this working. If/When you do, please report back how. I'm
sure someone else will need to know how to do this before long.