Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM
John Hodrien

Default CentOS 6 Installation on Thinkpad X220

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Janne Nyman wrote:

> I am trying to install CentOS 6 x86_64 on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
>
> During the installation it asks me to insert a driver.
>
> Has anyone done this successfully?

You might want to be a bit more specific about what it's complaining about.
About the only generic thing I'd check was that the BIOS was set to AHCI for
the SATA controller if that's an option.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/575569-linux-x220-17.html

This suggests that people have got it working fine.

jh

Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 08:41 +0100, Janne Nyman wrote:

> I am trying to install CentOS 6 x86_64 on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
>
> During the installation it asks me to insert a driver.

What type of 'driver' ? Any more clues ? At what stage of the
installation did you get the request ?

Paul.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM
"Janne Nyman"

> Hi
>
> unless you are doing this for a specific reason (ie eval/training) would
> advise that centos is not really a laptop distribution despite what
> redhat may try to suggest.
>
> best desktop/laptop in my opinion is mageia
>
> regards peter
>> I am trying to install CentOS 6 x86_64 on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
>>
>> During the installation it asks me to insert a driver.
>>
>> Has anyone done this successfully?

Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.

I guess the reason I am doing it, is as I love the way CentOS works, I.e.
the stability and performance. I am currently running it on a ThinkPad
Edge 11 and all seems to work great.

Just looks like the e1000e NIC driver is not working with the kernel in
6.0. I have also tried this with RHEL 6.1 but that also gets me stuck at
the booting of the x220.

I have tried to understand how the "load driver disk" works with CentOS
and RHEL based systems, but I am failing to get it working.

I have got my hands on the e1000e driver and patched the initrd but still
no go.

That's why I wanted to check if anyone else has got this working

Anyone else?

Kind regards,
Janne Nyman
E: jnyman@jbtec.org

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 07:57:41PM +0100, Janne Nyman wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > unless you are doing this for a specific reason (ie eval/training)
> > would advise that centos is not really a laptop distribution
> > despite what redhat may try to suggest.
> >
> > best desktop/laptop in my opinion is mageia
> >
> > regards peter
> >> I am trying to install CentOS 6 x86_64 on a Lenovo Thinkpad x220.
> >>
> >> During the installation it asks me to insert a driver.
> >>
> >> Has anyone done this successfully?
> >>

> Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.
>
> I guess the reason I am doing it, is as I love the way CentOS works,
> I.e. the stability and performance. I am currently running it on a
> ThinkPad Edge 11 and all seems to work great.
>
> Just looks like the e1000e NIC driver is not working with the kernel
> in 6.0. I have also tried this with RHEL 6.1 but that also gets me
> stuck at the booting of the x220.
>
> I have tried to understand how the "load driver disk" works with
> CentOS and RHEL based systems, but I am failing to get it working.
>
> I have got my hands on the e1000e driver and patched the initrd but
> still no go.
>
> That's why I wanted to check if anyone else has got this working
>
> Anyone else?

I haven't tried, but I think RHEL/CentOS on a laptop _should_ work
fine, albeit, as you have experienced with some minor driver issues.

My preference is to pull from elrepo whenever possible. They actually
have an e1000e driver:

http://jur-linux.org/download/elrepo/elrepo/el6/i386/RPMS/

Ray

Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Robert Heller

> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 07:57:41PM +0100, Janne Nyman wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > unless you are doing this for a specific reason (ie eval/training)
> > > would advise that centos is not really a laptop distribution
> > > despite what redhat may try to suggest.
> > >
> > > best desktop/laptop in my opinion is mageia
> > >
> > > regards peter

> > Hi Peter, thanks for your feedback.
> >
> > I guess the reason I am doing it, is as I love the way CentOS works,
> > I.e. the stability and performance. I am currently running it on a
> > ThinkPad Edge 11 and all seems to work great.
> >
> > Just looks like the e1000e NIC driver is not working with the kernel
> > in 6.0. I have also tried this with RHEL 6.1 but that also gets me
> > stuck at the booting of the x220.
> >
> > I have tried to understand how the "load driver disk" works with
> > CentOS and RHEL based systems, but I am failing to get it working.
> >
> > I have got my hands on the e1000e driver and patched the initrd but
> > still no go.
> >
> > That's why I wanted to check if anyone else has got this working
> >
> > Anyone else?
>
> I haven't tried, but I think RHEL/CentOS on a laptop _should_ work
> fine, albeit, as you have experienced with some minor driver issues.

I've run WBL 3.0, CentOS 4 and (presently) CentOS 5 on my laptops. *I*
don't really like Ubuntu and do really favor eye-candy heavy operating
systems -- I never used MS-Windows (and loath dealing with it), and
only tolerate MacOSX, mainly because I can always revert to using the
Terminal application. RHEL works quite well on laptops (but mostly
older ones, due to driver issues).

Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 AM
"Janne TH. Nyman"

Hi all,

All resolved now. Thanks to Paul for pointing out the basics

This had nothing to do with the e1000e as I thought earlier. It has to
do with the AHCI mode set for the SATA interface.

These where the steps I took to resolve it:

1. Start Laptop
2. When first boot screen appears, press F1 to get into the BIOS setup
3. Go to Config > Serial ATA and change AHCI to Compatibility
4. Press F10 to save and reboot

Now it boots and installs. Since CentOS has an older kernel than RHEL
6.1 I am not able to get screen resolution etc to work so I will run
RHEL on this one as Keyboard keys, Web cam, Sound, Ericsson WLAN, all
just works

Thanks a lot for your help peeps.

Cheers,
Janne "Janski" Nyman
E: jnyman@jbtec.org

Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
John Hodrien

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Janne TH. Nyman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> All resolved now. Thanks to Paul for pointing out the basics
>
> This had nothing to do with the e1000e as I thought earlier. It has to
> do with the AHCI mode set for the SATA interface.
>
> These where the steps I took to resolve it:
>
> 1. Start Laptop
> 2. When first boot screen appears, press F1 to get into the BIOS setup
> 3. Go to Config > Serial ATA and change AHCI to Compatibility
> 4. Press F10 to save and reboot
>
> Now it boots and installs. Since CentOS has an older kernel than RHEL
> 6.1 I am not able to get screen resolution etc to work so I will run
> RHEL on this one as Keyboard keys, Web cam, Sound, Ericsson WLAN, all
> just works

Making sure it was in AHCI mode was the first suggestion you got on the
list...

jh

Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 10.09.2011 13:40, schrieb John Hodrien:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Janne TH. Nyman wrote:

>> These where the steps I took to resolve it:
>>
>> 1. Start Laptop
>> 2. When first boot screen appears, press F1 to get into the BIOS setup
>> 3. Go to Config > Serial ATA and change AHCI to Compatibility
>> 4. Press F10 to save and reboot

> Making sure it was in AHCI mode was the first suggestion you got on the
> list...

And she changed it from AHCI to compatibility mode (had to change it to
that mode to make the drive being recognized?), which is not the best
setting regarding speed.

> jh

Alexander

Old 09-10-2011, 01:15 PM
"Timo Neuvonen"

> Now it boots and installs. Since CentOS has an older kernel than RHEL
> 6.1 I am not able to get screen resolution etc to work so I will run
> RHEL on this one as Keyboard keys, Web cam, Sound, Ericsson WLAN, all
> just works

If you have access to RHEL binaries, that's fine.
I hadn't, so I installed a kernel from Scientific Linux 6.1 repo to CentOS
6.0 to make display driver work on my Acer 7550. Anyway, some day CentOS 6.1
should be available and thereafter if updates itself to genuine CentOS
again...

--
TiN

Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM
John Hodrien

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am 10.09.2011 13:40, schrieb John Hodrien:
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011, Janne TH. Nyman wrote:
>
>>> These where the steps I took to resolve it:
>>>
>>> 1. Start Laptop
>>> 2. When first boot screen appears, press F1 to get into the BIOS setup
>>> 3. Go to Config > Serial ATA and change AHCI to Compatibility
>>> 4. Press F10 to save and reboot
>
>> Making sure it was in AHCI mode was the first suggestion you got on the
>> list...
>
> And she changed it from AHCI to compatibility mode (had to change it to
> that mode to make the drive being recognized?), which is not the best
> setting regarding speed.

Quite right, sorry, I'd read it backwards. So presumably either a bug in the
AHCI support, or a limitation/bug of the kernel driver?

jh