Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
"Janne TH. Nyman"

Default CentOS 6 Installation on Thinkpad X220

> And she changed it from AHCI to compatibility mode (had to change itto
> that mode to make the drive being recognized?), which is not the best
> setting regarding speed.
Alexander: The she is actually a he

> Quite right, sorry, I'd read it backwards. So presumably either a bug
> in the
> AHCI support, or a limitation/bug of the kernel driver?
> jh
John: Actually, this is a complete false alarm.

Actual Solution:
You don't have to change anything on these laptops. But it is a good tip
that when installing from external cd/dvdrom, if it first does not work,
change usb port and try again.

I changed back the BIOS to AHCI. I was previously plugged into the top
left USB port I.e. the one on the left hand side closes to the monitor
or back side.

When lenovo's external CDROM/DVD is plugged into this port, I am unable
to install linux in general or other OS's. Once I plug it into any of
the other USB ports bottom left or right, it works perfectly.

No wonder I haven't found any problem posts regarding x220 and
CentOS/RHEL.

Thanks for all your time supporting me. Fantastic responses on this
mailing list.

Use external CD/DVD ROM, just ensure to plug it into the right port

Cheers,
Janne "Janski" Nyman
E: jnyman@jbtec.org

Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
John Hodrien

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Janne TH. Nyman wrote:

> When lenovo's external CDROM/DVD is plugged into this port, I am unable
> to install linux in general or other OS's. Once I plug it into any of
> the other USB ports bottom left or right, it works perfectly.
>
> No wonder I haven't found any problem posts regarding x220 and
> CentOS/RHEL.
>
> Thanks for all your time supporting me. Fantastic responses on this
> mailing list.
>
> Use external CD/DVD ROM, just ensure to plug it into the right port

I might be wrong, but is it possible that this port is USB3? That way the
BIOS would be able to boot the CD from it, but neither linux nor windows is
likely to have suitable drivers for using it.

jh

Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 PM
"Janne TH. Nyman"

>> I might be wrong, but is it possible that this port is USB3? That way the
>> BIOS would be able to boot the CD from it, but neither linux nor windows is
>> likely to have suitable drivers for using it.

>> jh
That may be the reason

I thought it was me going nuts. Again, thanks all for you assistance.

Cheers,
Janne "Janski" Nyman
E: jnyman@jbtec.org