-   -   Postfix Question - CentOS 6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/573497-postfix-question-centos-6-a.html)

John Hinton 09-09-2011 05:46 AM

Postfix Question - CentOS 6

On 9/9/2011 1:28 AM, Steve Walsh wrote:
> On 09/09/2011 03:10 PM, John Hinton wrote:
>> So, can somebody check to see if this is there in a CentOS 6 Postfix
>> install where Amavis is not installed? And if so, what are the default
>> permissions?
> Not present on a clean C6 install.
>
> Mind you, it's also not present after installing dovecot and amavisd-new
> (from epel), so I'm convinced it's part of a package per-se. According
> to the postfix SASL config (http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html),
> it's configured in dovecot.conf.
>
> Maybe take a look at what
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL says about it?
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve... It was the epel amavis package. Also, I'll be doing
another server like this in the next week or so and will try to see
what/when this gets created. It might not get created until some
particular service is started. I am running SSL connections and I think
that plays into it. So far, that file has 0 bytes along with a bunch of
others there.

And, good to know that at least it appears that the CentOS packages are
all fine. And now to go read the wiki! :)

John Hinton

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 09-09-2011 07:15 AM

Postfix Question - CentOS 6

John Hinton wrote:

> /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
>
> It seems this must be owned by postfix but it was owned by root.
>
> So, can somebody check to see if this is there in a CentOS 6 Postfix
> install where Amavis is not installed? And if so, what are the default
> permissions?

maybe try
rpm -qf /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
to see if it belongs to an rpm.
You could then rpm -V that package if it exists.

John Hinton 09-10-2011 05:28 PM

Postfix Question - CentOS 6

On 9/9/2011 3:15 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> John Hinton wrote:
>> /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
>>
>> It seems this must be owned by postfix but it was owned by root.
>>
>> So, can somebody check to see if this is there in a CentOS 6 Postfix
>> install where Amavis is not installed? And if so, what are the default
>> permissions?
> maybe try
> rpm -qf /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
> to see if it belongs to an rpm.
> You could then rpm -V that package if it exists.

OK... I found it.

In Dovecot master.conf, I enabled smtp-auth. Under that, it seems you
must set the user to postfix or each time you restart dovecot the auth
file is recreated and is owned by root... resulting in the failure. I
looked for the file earlier and it was not there. It seems to have
appeared due to enabling smtp-auth, but I did make other edits before
restarting the service.

Inside of service auth I have the following:

# Postfix smtp-auth
mode = 0666
user = postfix
}

I am considering adding group = postfix as well as the file is now group
root.

Thanks,
John Hinton