-   -   new ssd to play with (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/573000-new-ssd-play.html)

Jerry Geis 09-07-2011 08:55 PM

new ssd to play with

I grabbed a new SSD M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.

I am disappointed. I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
CentOS 6 on the disk.
It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
was in it.

The SSD is giving me (in the zotac running centos 6):
hdparm -t /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 298 MB in 3.00 seconds = 99.30 MB/sec

The Samsung 5400 RPM disk (in the zotac running Centos 6):
hdparm -t /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 196 MB in 3.01 seconds = 65.02 MB/sec

I'm not supper impressed at all. Sure the numbers say its "slightly"
better but I don't "feel" it.
I was expecting like really noticeable change in application load time or
something - but not really.

Just wondering... Is there something that has to be done to take
advantage of the SSD performance?

Thanks,

jerry

Connie Sieh 09-07-2011 09:01 PM

new ssd to play with

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I grabbed a new SSD M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.
>
> I am disappointed. I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
> CentOS 6 on the disk.
> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
> was in it.
>
> The SSD is giving me (in the zotac running centos 6):
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 298 MB in 3.00 seconds = 99.30 MB/sec
>
> The Samsung 5400 RPM disk (in the zotac running Centos 6):
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 196 MB in 3.01 seconds = 65.02 MB/sec
>
> I'm not supper impressed at all. Sure the numbers say its "slightly"
> better but I don't "feel" it.
> I was expecting like really noticeable change in application load time or
> something - but not really.
>
> Just wondering... Is there something that has to be done to take
> advantage of the SSD performance?

You need to verify that "AHCI" is enabled for the sata interface.

-Connie Sieh

> Thanks,
>
> jerry

09-07-2011 09:03 PM

new ssd to play with

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I grabbed a new SSD M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.
>
> I am disappointed. I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
> CentOS 6 on the disk.
> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
> was in it.

<http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/09/06/2317211/Costly-SSDs-Worth-It-Users-Say>

says that it depends on how you use it.

mark

Les Mikesell 09-07-2011 09:11 PM

new ssd to play with

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> *I grabbed a new SSD *M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.
>
> I am disappointed. *I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
> CentOS 6 on the disk.
> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
> was in it.
>
> The SSD is giving me (in the zotac running centos 6):
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
> *Timing buffered disk reads: *298 MB in *3.00 seconds = *99.30 MB/sec
>
> The Samsung 5400 RPM disk (in the zotac running Centos 6):
> *hdparm -t /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
> *Timing buffered disk reads: *196 MB in *3.01 seconds = *65.02 MB/sec
>
> I'm not supper impressed at all. Sure the numbers say its "slightly"
> better but I don't "feel" it.
> I was expecting like really noticeable change in application load time or
> something - but not really.
>
> Just wondering... *Is there something that has to be done to take
> advantage of the SSD performance?

The point of an SSD isn't the transfer time when reading sequentially
ordered sectors, it is that you don't have to wait 8msec/track every
time the head has to move and wait for the disk to spin around to the
sector you want when that doesn't immediately follow the last one.
The OS makes a great effort to cache everything and avoid the delays
so you may not notice a big difference except the first time you load
something new.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Paul Heinlein 09-07-2011 09:17 PM

new ssd to play with

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Jerry Geis wrote:

> Just wondering... Is there something that has to be done to take
> advantage of the SSD performance?

I'll note that CentOS 6 and my SSDs haven't (yet) worked and played
well together. Debian 6, otoh, screams...

I'm semi-sure my CentOS/SSD issues are pilot error, but I haven't had
time to troubleshoot.

John Doe 09-08-2011 01:05 PM

new ssd to play with

From: Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com>

> * I grabbed a new SSD* M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.
> I am disappointed.* I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
> CentOS 6 on the disk.
> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive
> that was in it.
> The SSD is giving me (in the zotac running centos 6):
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
> * Timing buffered disk reads:* 298 MB in* 3.00 seconds =* 99.30 MB/sec

Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
64GB Crucial 2.5" RealSSD C300 rev 7 (udma5)

# hdparm -t /dev/sda
*Timing buffered disk reads:* 636 MB in* 3.01 seconds = 211.58 MB/sec
# hdparm -T /dev/sda
*Timing cached reads:** 18016 MB in* 2.00 seconds = 9023.48 MB/sec

JD

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn 09-08-2011 01:28 PM

new ssd to play with

On 09/07/2011 10:55 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I grabbed a new SSD M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.
>
> I am disappointed. I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
> CentOS 6 on the disk.
> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
> was in it.
>
> The SSD is giving me (in the zotac running centos 6):
> hdparm -t /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 298 MB in 3.00 seconds = 99.30 MB/sec

Not sure about Centos 6 but I just got a new System with a Crucial M4 128G
disk and and the difference to my previous non-ssd system is *huge*:

/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 700 MB in 3.00 seconds = 233.11 MB/sec

And that's just the throughput. What really is amazing is the reduced
latency which makes the desktop fly.

100mb/s sound really broken though. Even the slowest ssd drives should give
you more than that. Try installing Fedora 15 (what I'm using right now) and
if you see the same performance then it might be a hardware problem. If the
performance is much better under Fedora 15 though then there might be an
issue with Centos 6 and ssd's (though I'm not sure what that could be in a
simple read-only benchmark).

Regards,
Dennis

Karanbir Singh 09-08-2011 01:34 PM

new ssd to play with

On 09/07/2011 09:55 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am disappointed. I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
> CentOS 6 on the disk.
> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
> was in it.

I'm going to guess, off the top of my head, based on my experience, that
your atom cant process the data fast enough and your benchmark isnt
really worthwhile.

get a copy of iozone setup on the box, and get it to run through a few
iterations with the 5400rpm disk and then the SSD.

I have an i5 @2.4Ghz per core, and it struggles to keep up with the
sata2 interface ( with a Crucial M4 on the other side ). I suspect I can
go faster with a sata3 interface..

Some of my initial observations:
http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2011/08/29/a-few-notes-on-ssds-in-laptops

- KB

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn 09-08-2011 01:34 PM

new ssd to play with

On 09/08/2011 03:28 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 09/07/2011 10:55 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> I grabbed a new SSD M4-CT064M4SSD2 from Crucial.
>>
>> I am disappointed. I stuck the unit in an Atom machine (zotac) with
>> CentOS 6 on the disk.
>> It really doesn't "feel" faster than the previous 5400 RPM drive that
>> was in it.
>>
>> The SSD is giving me (in the zotac running centos 6):
>> hdparm -t /dev/sda
>> /dev/sda:
>> Timing buffered disk reads: 298 MB in 3.00 seconds = 99.30 MB/sec
>
> Not sure about Centos 6 but I just got a new System with a Crucial M4 128G
> disk and and the difference to my previous non-ssd system is *huge*:
>
> /dev/sda:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 700 MB in 3.00 seconds = 233.11 MB/sec
>
> And that's just the throughput. What really is amazing is the reduced
> latency which makes the desktop fly.
>
> 100mb/s sound really broken though. Even the slowest ssd drives should give
> you more than that. Try installing Fedora 15 (what I'm using right now) and
> if you see the same performance then it might be a hardware problem. If the
> performance is much better under Fedora 15 though then there might be an
> issue with Centos 6 and ssd's (though I'm not sure what that could be in a
> simple read-only benchmark).

This just occured to me: are you maybe cpu bound? Since you use an atom
based system maybe your system simply cannot deliver the full performance
of the drive?

Regards,
Dennis

Karanbir Singh 09-08-2011 01:37 PM

new ssd to play with

On 09/08/2011 02:05 PM, John Doe wrote:
> # hdparm -t /dev/sda
> Timing buffered disk reads: 636 MB in 3.01 seconds = 211.58 MB/sec
> # hdparm -T /dev/sda
> Timing cached reads: 18016 MB in 2.00 seconds = 9023.48 MB/sec

I'm not a big fan of using hdparm for real benchmarking or comparing
things but for the sake of completeness.

/dev/sde:
Timing cached reads: 24004 MB in 2.00 seconds = 12025.18 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 982 MB in 3.00 seconds = 326.98 MB/sec

This is on a dual: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz with

05:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic
SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 02)

- KB