Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   CentOS 6: Making KDE Default (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/572930-centos-6-making-kde-default.html)

"Michael D. Berger" 09-07-2011 05:54 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 13:25:50 -0400, Scot P. Floess wrote:

> In my ~/.xsession I have:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> startkde
>
>
> I think .xsession needs execute permission...can't remember (but thats
> what I have mine set as)...
>
> Additionally, I believe that once you select KDE and login (under
> runlevel 5), it remembers you chose that...
>
>
>
[...]

It didn't remember.

I didn't have a ~/.xsession so I created one as you
describe. It didn't work.

Mike.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 09-07-2011 06:02 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
Sorry for .xsession, I mean when you are in runlevel 3 and type startx...
However, in looking at my home directory, I see I have .xsession
symbolically linked to .xinitrc

I think you want a ~/.xinitrc that looks like what I described for
.xsession

I just did some googling - I couldn't remember the name of an app to
switch the desktops... Try yum installing switchdesk and switchdesk-gui

I believe those will change your desktop for you (the default one)...



On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 13:25:50 -0400, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>
>> In my ~/.xsession I have:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> startkde
>>
>>
>> I think .xsession needs execute permission...can't remember (but thats
>> what I have mine set as)...
>>
>> Additionally, I believe that once you select KDE and login (under
>> runlevel 5), it remembers you chose that...
>>
>>
>>
> [...]
>
> It didn't remember.
>
> I didn't have a ~/.xsession so I created one as you
> describe. It didn't work.
>
> Mike.
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Scot P. Floess RHCT (Certificate Number 605010084735240)
Chief Architect FlossWare http://sourceforge.net/projects/flossware
http://flossware.sourceforge.net
https://github.com/organizations/FlossWare
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Michael D. Berger" 09-07-2011 06:16 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 14:02:17 -0400, Scot P. Floess wrote:

> Sorry for .xsession, I mean when you are in runlevel 3 and type
> startx... However, in looking at my home directory, I see I have
> .xsession symbolically linked to .xinitrc
>
> I think you want a ~/.xinitrc that looks like what I described for
> .xsession
>
> I just did some googling - I couldn't remember the name of an app to
> switch the desktops... Try yum installing switchdesk and switchdesk-gui
>
> I believe those will change your desktop for you (the default one)...
>
>
[...]

I did:
mv .xsession .xinitrc
and it worked. Thanks.
Mike.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Scot P. Floess" 09-07-2011 06:22 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
Very welcome... There was some reason I did the link - but can't remember
why :) I think at one point .xession was used (again I can't remember)...



On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Michael D. Berger wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 14:02:17 -0400, Scot P. Floess wrote:
>
>> Sorry for .xsession, I mean when you are in runlevel 3 and type
>> startx... However, in looking at my home directory, I see I have
>> .xsession symbolically linked to .xinitrc
>>
>> I think you want a ~/.xinitrc that looks like what I described for
>> .xsession
>>
>> I just did some googling - I couldn't remember the name of an app to
>> switch the desktops... Try yum installing switchdesk and switchdesk-gui
>>
>> I believe those will change your desktop for you (the default one)...
>>
>>
> [...]
>
> I did:
> mv .xsession .xinitrc
> and it worked. Thanks.
> Mike.
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>

Scot P. Floess RHCT (Certificate Number 605010084735240)
Chief Architect FlossWare http://sourceforge.net/projects/flossware
http://flossware.sourceforge.net
https://github.com/organizations/FlossWare
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-07-2011 06:45 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
Scot P. Floess wrote:
>
> Sorry for .xsession, I mean when you are in runlevel 3 and type startx...
> However, in looking at my home directory, I see I have .xsession
> symbolically linked to .xinitrc
>
> I think you want a ~/.xinitrc that looks like what I described for
> .xsession
>
> I just did some googling - I couldn't remember the name of an app to
> switch the desktops... Try yum installing switchdesk and switchdesk-gui
>
> I believe those will change your desktop for you (the default one)...
>
Yeah, there *used* to be an app called switchdesk. Not in 6, apparently. I
just tried yum install *switchdesk*, and for some reason, it wanted to
install man-pages-fr; no switchdesk.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Jeremy Sanders 09-07-2011 09:35 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
Michael D. Berger wrote:

> I learned from Anne that if I boot to level
> 5, after I enter the username, can select
> Gnome or KDE. I note that the default is
> always Gnome.
>
> How can I make the default KDE?
>
> How can I get KDE with startx after booting to level 3?

Assuming it is the same as fedora, put the lines

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to change it for all users.

Jeremy


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

John Beranek 09-07-2011 09:49 PM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
On 07/09/2011 22:35, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>
>> I learned from Anne that if I boot to level
>> 5, after I enter the username, can select
>> Gnome or KDE. I note that the default is
>> always Gnome.
>>
>> How can I make the default KDE?
>>
>> How can I get KDE with startx after booting to level 3?
>
> Assuming it is the same as fedora, put the lines
>
> DESKTOP="KDE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to change it for all users.

You beat me to the punch:

[root@test-centos6-vm ~]# head -25 /etc/X11/prefdm
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

# We need to source this so that the login screens get translated
[ -f /etc/sysconfig/i18n ] && . /etc/sysconfig/i18n

# Run preferred X display manager
quit_arg=
preferred=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
. /etc/sysconfig/desktop
if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
preferred=/usr/sbin/gdm
quit_arg="--retain-splash"
elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
preferred=/usr/bin/kdm
elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = WDM ]; then
preferred=/usr/bin/wdm
elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
preferred=/usr/bin/xdm
elif [ -n "$DISPLAYMANAGER" ]; then
preferred=$DISPLAYMANAGER
else
quit_arg="--retain-splash"


John.

--
John Beranek To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/ -- William Blake

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Devin Reade 09-08-2011 03:38 AM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
Jeremy Sanders <jeremy@jeremysanders.net> wrote:

> Assuming it is the same as fedora, put the lines
>
> DESKTOP="KDE"
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to change it for all users.

IIRC, setting DESKTOP there only has an effect for new users; after
someone has already logged in once then I think their default is set in
some other state file in their home directory. I'm afraid I don't
remember the details on that, though.

Devin
--
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

John Doe 09-08-2011 10:35 AM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
From: Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com>

> I learned from Anne that if I boot to level
> 5, after I enter the username, can select
> Gnome or KDE.* I note that the default is
> always Gnome.
> * How can I make the default KDE?
> * How can I get KDE with startx after booting to level 3?

Maybe try:
* yum info switchdesk

JD
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Marko Vojinovic 09-08-2011 10:58 AM

CentOS 6: Making KDE Default
 
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:
> Jeremy Sanders <jeremy@jeremysanders.net> wrote:
>
>> Assuming it is the same as fedora, put the lines
>>
>> DESKTOP="KDE"
>> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>>
>> in /etc/sysconfig/desktop to change it for all users.
>
> IIRC, setting DESKTOP there only has an effect for new users; after
> someone has already logged in once then I think their default is set in
> some other state file in their home directory. *I'm afraid I don't
> remember the details on that, though.

The display manager is the same for all users. As for the desktop,
AFAIK it is controlled by the ~/.dmrc file, per user. For example, I
have the following:

$ cat ~/.dmrc

[Desktop]
Session=kde
Language=en_US.utf8
Layout=us

If there is no .dmrc file in the user's home directory, the setting
from /etc/sysconfig/desktop is used as a default.

HTH, :-)
Marko
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.