FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

I am running Centos 5.5 (2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 and when I submit

yum -y update

I get the message that nothing is marked for update. Is this
correct or is there something wrong with the system?

Many thanks...

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Always Learning
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 10:43 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:

> I am running Centos 5.5 (2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 and when I submit
>
> yum -y update
>
> I get the message that nothing is marked for update. Is this
> correct or is there something wrong with the system?

If you are using the CR repo ensure the yum priority in that file is 1
(the same as in the Base repo). Then retry

yum update

Paul.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

Paul -

Unfortunately, I am not fully aware of all of yum's settings and
functions. Could you give me a little more detail or point me to
the appropriate MAN page?

Todd

On 9/7/2011 4:33 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 10:43 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
>
>> I am running Centos 5.5 (2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 and when I submit
>>
>> yum -y update
>>
>> I get the message that nothing is marked for update. Is this
>> correct or is there something wrong with the system?
> If you are using the CR repo ensure the yum priority in that file is 1
> (the same as in the Base repo). Then retry
>
> yum update
>
> Paul.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Always Learning
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 16:40 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:

> Unfortunately, I am not fully aware of all of yum's settings and
> functions. Could you give me a little more detail or point me to
> the appropriate MAN page?

(1) Many of us on 5.6 have installed to /etc/yum.repos.d an extra file
for an extra, probably temporary, new repository called 'CR'. Unsure
what CR means but it might be 'Continuous Revision'.

(2) You write you are on 5.5 so I am unsure whether the 'CR' repo is
also for you. No doubt others will enlighten us.

(3) The contents of the CR repo are (the file name is your own choice):-

# CentOS-CR.repo
#
# The continuous release ( CR ) repository contains rpms from the
# next point release of CentOS, which isnt itself released as yet.
#
# Look at http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR
# for more details about how this repository works and what users
# should expect to see included / excluded

[cr]
name=CentOS-$releasever - CR
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/cr/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priorities=1

(4) As you will notice, in the file is a link for further information.

(5) If this file is for your 5.5, then install it then do a


yum update


and you should see things being installed.

Regards,

Paul.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Steve Walsh
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

On 09/08/2011 03:43 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> I am running Centos 5.5 (2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 and when I submit
>
> yum -y update
>
> I get the message that nothing is marked for update. Is this
> correct or is there something wrong with the system?
>
> Many thanks...
>
> Todd
>
kernel 2.6.18-238.19.1 is a 5.6 kernel. What does 'rpm -qa
centos-release' say?

if your box is full up-to-date, I would not expect you to see any
updates pending unless you've configured the cr/ repo for el5.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

On 9/8/11, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:
> (1) Many of us on 5.6 have installed to /etc/yum.repos.d an extra file
> for an extra, probably temporary, new repository called 'CR'. Unsure
> what CR means but it might be 'Continuous Revision'.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist pointing out that it's "Continuous
Release" like it says in your #3

> (3) The contents of the CR repo are (the file name is your own choice):-
>
> # CentOS-CR.repo
> #
> # The continuous release ( CR ) repository contains rpms from the
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

Many thanks! Installed and now it is performing 118 updates.

Out of curiosity, how should I have known about this addition to
yum? I am not an active Linux server user in that, Centos just
runs and runs providing me with FTP and HTTP that is used to
share photographs with others and exchange source code for
projects. So, every once in a while, something comes up where I
need some assistance, and all of you have been so helpful - and
patient.

Todd

On 9/7/2011 5:07 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 16:40 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I am not fully aware of all of yum's settings and
>> functions. Could you give me a little more detail or point me to
>> the appropriate MAN page?
> (1) Many of us on 5.6 have installed to /etc/yum.repos.d an extra file
> for an extra, probably temporary, new repository called 'CR'. Unsure
> what CR means but it might be 'Continuous Revision'.
>
> (2) You write you are on 5.5 so I am unsure whether the 'CR' repo is
> also for you. No doubt others will enlighten us.
>
> (3) The contents of the CR repo are (the file name is your own choice):-
>
> # CentOS-CR.repo
> #
> # The continuous release ( CR ) repository contains rpms from the
> # next point release of CentOS, which isnt itself released as yet.
> #
> # Look at http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR
> # for more details about how this repository works and what users
> # should expect to see included / excluded
>
> [cr]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - CR
> baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/cr/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> enabled=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> priorities=1
>
> (4) As you will notice, in the file is a link for further information.
>
> (5) If this file is for your 5.5, then install it then do a
>
>
> yum update
>
>
> and you should see things being installed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Always Learning
 
Default Have not had any updates to Centos 5.5

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 09:22 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how should I have known about this addition to
> yum?

It was announced either on this list and/or on the Centos Announcements
list. Centos Announcements has very low traffic and is a useful list to
subscribe to.

http://lists.centos.org

> I am not an active Linux server user in that, Centos just
> runs and runs providing me with FTP and HTTP that is used to
> share photographs with others and exchange source code for
> projects.

That is the inherent advantage of Centos. It just runs and runs reliably
and, of course, its not Windoze :-)

> So, every once in a while, something comes up where I
> need some assistance, and all of you have been so helpful - and
> patient.

Everyone, everywhere, occasionally needs some friendly help - me too.

Regards,

Paul.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org