FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Bünyamin İzzet
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

Hello,

I have two disks sda and sdb. One of the was broken so I have changed the broken disk with a working one. I started the server in rescue mode, and created the partional table, and added all the partitions to the software raid.




I have added the partitions to the RAID, and reboot.
# mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1

# mdadm /dev/md1 --add /dev/sdb2
# mdadm /dev/md2 --add /dev/sdb3
# mdadm /dev/md3 --add /dev/sdb4




After reboot, server did not boot. So I do the followings:

# mount /dev/md1 /mnt/rescue
# mount /dev/md0 /mnt/rescue/boot

# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/rescue/dev# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/rescue/proc
# mount -o bind /dev/shm /mnt/rescue/dev/shm
# mount -o bind /sys /mnt/rescue/sys
# chroot /mnt/rescue




I checked the device.map
# cat /boot/grub/device.map(hd0)** /dev/sda
(hd1)** /dev/sdb


And, install the grub.
# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
*** GNU GRUB* version 0.97* (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)*[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.* For the first word, TAB
** lists possible command completions.* Anywhere else TAB lists the possible** completions of a device/filename.]
grub> root (hd0,0)root (hd0,0)
*Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfdgrub> setup (hd0)
setup (hd0)*Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
*Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes*Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
*Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...* 15 sectors are embedded.succeeded
*Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.grub> root (hd1,0)
root (hd1,0)*Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
grub> setup (hd1)setup (hd1)
*Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes*Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
*Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes*Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd1)"...* 15 sectors are embedded.
succeeded*Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1) (hd1)1+15 p (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.grub> quit
quit


But it still does not boot. What should I do at this point? What do you suggest?



Disk informations

# fdisk -l /dev/sd[ab]
Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00090dd1
** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks** Id* System
/dev/sda1** *********** 1******** 131**** 1052226** fd* Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2************ 132******* 5353*** 41945715** fd* Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3*********** 5354****** 96733** 734009850** fd* Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda4********** 96734***** 182401** 688128210** fd* Linux raid autodetect
Disk /dev/sdb: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf5c3aa6a
** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks** Id* System
/dev/sdb1** *********** 1******** 131**** 1052226** fd* Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb2************ 132******* 5353*** 41945715** fd* Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb3*********** 5354****** 96733** 734009850** fd* Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb4********** 96734***** 182401** 688128210** fd* Linux raid autodetect



Raid info

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md3 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdb4[2]

***** 688128128 blocks [2/1] [U_]
******* resync=DELAYED

md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[2]
***** 734009728 blocks [2/1] [U_]
***** [>....................]* recovery =* 1.8% (13651648/734009728) finish=133.5min speed=89915K/sec


md1 : active raid1 sdb2[2] sda2[0]
***** 41945600 blocks [2/1] [U_]
******* resync=DELAYED

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
***** 1052160 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>




Mount informations

/dev/md0 is mounted /boot
/dev/md1 is mounted /
/dev/md2 and /dev/md3 is for backup and some personal data




Here is the grub.conf

# cat /mnt/rescue/boot/grub/grub.conf
timeout 5default 0
fallback 1title CentOS (2.6.18-238.19.1.el5)
root (hd1,0)kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.imgtitle CentOS (2.6.18-238.9.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.9.1.el5.imgtitle CentOS (2.6.18-194.26.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.imgtitle CentOS (2.6.18-194.3.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.imgtitle CentOS (2.6.18-164.15.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-164.15.1.el5.imgtitle CentOS Linux (2.6.18-164.11.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.img

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Devin Reade
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

--On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 08:22:47 PM +0300 Bünyamin İzzet
<bunyamin.izzet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two disks sda and sdb. One of the was broken so I have changed the
> broken disk with a working one. I started the server in rescue mode, and
> created the partional table, and added all the partitions to the software
> raid.

Sounds like the 'no boot record' issue. Here's an extract from one
of my server change logs, for setting things up *before* they go bad:

- made sure we have boot blocks on both disks, based on information
at http://grub.enbug.org/MirroringRAID
modified /boot/grub/device.map from:
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
to:
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd0) /dev/sdb
and then:
# grub
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

With the above in place you can boot from either disk as long as
your BIOS will let you select the boot device. I've had older
systems where the BIOS didn't have that option, in which case
the 'in event of breakage' procedure would be to take the working
slave disk and put it on the controller cable that originally had
the flawed master disk.

># cat /boot/grub/device.map
> (hd0) /dev/sda
> (hd1) /dev/sdb

Not quite right (need hd0 on both)

Devin

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Devin Reade
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

--On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 02:38:14 PM -0600 Devin Reade
<gdr@gno.org> wrote:

> Sounds like the 'no boot record' issue. Here's an extract from one
> of my server change logs, for setting things up *before* they go bad:

I should add that, with a tested boot-from-alternate disk in place
I've been able to avoid the boot into rescue mode procedure, thus
minimizing down time. Ignoring the case of hot-swap devices and
hot spares:

- shut down system
- remove faulty disk
- add in replacement disk
- reboot to normal run level (3 or 5). RAID is now running in
degraded mode, but you're back in operation
- do disk paritioning, MBR init, and reconstruction while in service

Devin

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Bünyamin İzzet
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:

--On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 08:22:47 PM +0300 Bünyamin İzzet

<bunyamin.izzet@gmail.com> wrote:



* * * *- made sure we have boot blocks on both disks, based on information

* * * * *at http://grub.enbug.org/MirroringRAID

* * * * * * * *modified /boot/grub/device.map from:

* * * * * * * * * * * *(hd0) * * /dev/sda

* * * * * * * * * * * *(hd1) * * /dev/sdb

* * * * * * * *to:

* * * * * * * * * * * *(hd0) * * /dev/sda

* * * * * * * * * * * *(hd0) * * /dev/sdb
I have changed the device.map as you said
*


* * * * * * * *and then:

* * * * * * * * * * * *# grub

* * * * * * * * * * * *grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb

* * * * * * * * * * * *grub> root (hd0,0)

* * * * * * * * * * * *grub> setup (hd0)

* * * * * * * * * * * *grub> quit


And, it is done too.


It still does not boot. I could not see the error
message, because it is a dedicated server and I am not sitting at the
monitor of the server. So I type the lines in grub.conf manually to see the error (I'm not sure if it is the right thing to see the error).


# grub

Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.


*** GNU GRUB* version 0.97* (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

*[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.* For the first word, TAB

** lists possible command completions.* Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
** completions of a device/filename.]
grub> root (hd1,0)
root (hd1,0)

*Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317

** [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1fe01c]
grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.img
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.img

Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

grub> quit
quit


If it is not the right thing to see the error message at boot time, is there any chance to log grub errors, boot errors?

Thanks,

Bunyamin.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Devin Reade
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

Bnyamin zzet <bunyamin.izzet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:
>
[snip]
>> # grub
>> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
>> grub> root (hd0,0)
>> grub> setup (hd0)
>> grub> quit
>
> It still does not boot. I could not see the error message, because it is a
> dedicated server and I am not sitting at the monitor of the server. So I
> type the lines in grub.conf manually to see the error (I'm not sure if it is
> the right thing to see the error).

If you mean that you typed the lines I gave above into grub.conf, then
that was not what was intended (and I doubt that it would work). My
intent was that you get the system booted and running normally (perhaps
via the rescue disk), and after that execute 'grub' interactively
and issue those commands.

Devin

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Bünyamin İzzet
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:


Bünyamin Ýzzet <bunyamin.izzet@gmail.com> wrote:



> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:

>

[snip]

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *# grub

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> root (hd0,0)

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> setup (hd0)

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> quit

>

> It still does not boot. I could not see the error message, because it is a

> dedicated server and I am not sitting at the monitor of the server. So I

> type the lines in grub.conf manually to see the error (I'm not sure if it is

> the right thing to see the error).



If you mean that you typed the lines I gave above into grub.conf, then

that was not what was intended (and I doubt that it would work). *My

intent was that you get the system booted and running normally (perhaps

via the rescue disk), and after that execute 'grub' interactively

and issue those commands.


*Devin
As you said, I booted the system via rescue disk, and execute grub and issue those commands. Then, I reboot the system, but it does not boot.

Then I searched on google about logging grub errors, which I could not find anything useful (meybe I did not look enough). So that, in rescue system, I execute grub and type commands in grub.conf (results are below) to see which error occurs.




# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.


GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB


lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename.]
grub> root (hd1,0)
root (hd1,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317



kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1fe01c]
grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.img

initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.img



Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory
grub> quit
quit
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Bünyamin İzzet
 
Default boot problem after disk change on raid1

The system works just fine now. I think there was a disk check or something at boot time which takes 15-20 minutes (I rarely reboot the system once or twice a year), and it made me think that the system does not boot.


Thanks for your help.
Bunyamin.
2011/9/8 Bünyamin İzzet <bunyamin.izzet@gmail.com>



On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:



Bünyamin Ýzzet <bunyamin.izzet@gmail.com> wrote:



> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Devin Reade <gdr@gno.org> wrote:

>

[snip]

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *# grub

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> root (hd0,0)

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> setup (hd0)

>> * * * * * * * * * * * *grub> quit

>

> It still does not boot. I could not see the error message, because it is a

> dedicated server and I am not sitting at the monitor of the server. So I

> type the lines in grub.conf manually to see the error (I'm not sure if it is

> the right thing to see the error).



If you mean that you typed the lines I gave above into grub.conf, then

that was not what was intended (and I doubt that it would work). *My

intent was that you get the system booted and running normally (perhaps

via the rescue disk), and after that execute 'grub' interactively

and issue those commands.


*Devin
As you said, I booted the system via rescue disk, and execute grub and issue those commands. Then, I reboot the system, but it does not boot.

Then I searched on google about logging grub errors, which I could not find anything useful (meybe I did not look enough). So that, in rescue system, I execute grub and type commands in grub.conf (results are below) to see which error occurs.





# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.


GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB



lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename.]
grub> root (hd1,0)
root (hd1,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317




kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 ro root=/dev/md1 vga=0x317
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1fe01c]
grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.img

initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.img




Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory
grub> quit
quit


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org