Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
John R Pierce

Default scim-bridge?

>> looks like its mostly for far eastern languages.
> Yeah, from the last stuff I've found, looks like it's for her to read
> Chinese. I've seen some suggestions, and if they don't work (xim?), I'll
> talk to her about what we can do.

as an Input Method, I would think it would strictly be for
ENTERING(typing) Chinese etc. and, it is only needed if another
package you need specifically calls for it. xim provides a similar
functionality but not in a compatible manner. scim-bridge requires
scim and scim-libs. I can't tell you what other packages require scim
or scim-libs as I don't have any of those installed.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 05:31:48PM -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Yeah, from the last stuff I've found, looks like it's for her to read
> Chinese. I've seen some suggestions, and if they don't work (xim?), I'll
> talk to her about what we can do.

Scim is being replaced by ibus. It should be available on CentOS-6,
though I don't think I ever got it to build on CentOS 5.

Yes, it's frequently used for Eastern languages--I use it to input
Japanese. It isn't necessary to read Chinese, for that, all she would
need would be fonts.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: I have witnessed a millennium of treachery and oppression
from the males of the species, and I have nothing but contempt
for the whole libidinous lot of them.
Xander: Then why are you talking to me?
Anya: I don't have a date for the prom.
Xander: Well, gosh, I wonder why not? It couldn't possibly have
anything to do with your sales pitch.
Anya: Men are evil. Will you go with me?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Craig White

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 16:43 -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Anybody familiar with it, or what it's needed for? I've got at least one
> user (it's *very* noticeable with her) whose system is spamming
> /var/log/messages, to the effect of "Another agent is running...
Failed
> to allocate the agent. Exitting" (complete with misspelled exiting).
>
> In googling, I've seen someone just removing the package. What, if
> anything, would that break?
>
> Oh, right, CentOS 5.6, KDE 3.5.4-1
----
on Fedora, I ditched scim for ibus - much better and much more recent
development... my wife is Chinese so it is of interest to me.

I don't have CentOS 6 installed anywhere, maybe never will. You probably
want to check for ibus and use that instead of scim.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 AM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:44:39PM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > Oh, right, CentOS 5.6, KDE 3.5.4-1
> ----
> on Fedora, I ditched scim for ibus - much better and much more recent
> development... my wife is Chinese so it is of interest to me.
>
> I don't have CentOS 6 installed anywhere, maybe never will. You probably
> want to check for ibus and use that instead of scim.

In my earlier reply I missed the CentOS 5.6 part. I didn't try all that
hard, but I wasn't able to build ibus on it--it needed some newer
somethings---glibc?

It is available for CentOS 6.x however.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angel: Acathla turned to stone, as demons sometimes do, and
was buried
where neither man nor demon would want to look...unless, of course,
they're
putting up low-rent housing.