-   -   scim-bridge? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/572581-scim-bridge.html)

09-06-2011 08:43 PM

scim-bridge?

Anybody familiar with it, or what it's needed for? I've got at least one
user (it's *very* noticeable with her) whose system is spamming
/var/log/messages, to the effect of "Another agent is running...
Failed
to allocate the agent. Exitting" (complete with misspelled exiting).

In googling, I've seen someone just removing the package. What, if
anything, would that break?

Oh, right, CentOS 5.6, KDE 3.5.4-1

mark

John R Pierce 09-06-2011 09:29 PM

scim-bridge?

> Anybody familiar with it, or what it's needed for? I've got at least one
> user (it's *very* noticeable with her) whose system is spamming
> /var/log/messages, to the effect of "Another agent is running...
Failed
> to allocate the agent. Exitting" (complete with misspelled exiting).
>
> In googling, I've seen someone just removing the package. What, if
> anything, would that break?
>
> Oh, right, CentOS 5.6, KDE 3.5.4-1

# yum info scim-bridge
Available Packages
Name : scim-bridge
Arch : x86_64
Version : 0.4.5
Release : 9.el5
Size : 111 k
Repo : base
for SCIM.

from browsing that URL, it appears IM in this context means Input
Method, and SCIM is some kind of generic Smart Common Input Method
editor, for which SCIM-Bridge is a Gtk(Gnome) shim of some sorts.

looks like its mostly for far eastern languages.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

09-06-2011 09:31 PM

scim-bridge?

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 09/06/11 1:43 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Anybody familiar with it, or what it's needed for? I've got at least one
>> user (it's *very* noticeable with her) whose system is spamming
>> /var/log/messages, to the effect of "Another agent is running...
Failed
>> to allocate the agent. Exitting" (complete with misspelled exiting).
>>
>> In googling, I've seen someone just removing the package. What, if
>> anything, would that break?
>>
>> Oh, right, CentOS 5.6, KDE 3.5.4-1
<snip>
> from browsing that URL, it appears IM in this context means Input
> Method, and SCIM is some kind of generic Smart Common Input Method
> editor, for which SCIM-Bridge is a Gtk(Gnome) shim of some sorts.
>
> looks like its mostly for far eastern languages.

Yeah, from the last stuff I've found, looks like it's for her to read
Chinese. I've seen some suggestions, and if they don't work (xim?), I'll
talk to her about what we can do.

Thanks!

mark