FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default Help with kickstart install

I am doing a kickstart install for CentOS 6.0 (x86_64 install)

The error on screen is "fatal error occurred when install glibc package.
Could indicate error
with install media"

When I looked at the /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log file I see

Installing glibc-2.12.-1.7.el6.i686
error unpacking of archive failed on file /lib/ld-2.12.so;4e66d2ec cpio
read failed bad file descriptor.
(Note I am installing x86-64 but the error is on i686 file)

This happens (same error) on 2 machines. AMD box with two 2T hard disks
in each box for software RAID.

I am using a PXE boot environment. Same environment I use for 5.6 (works
fine).
My kickstart file has the "repo" line commented out, so my local repo is
not interfering.
These CentOS 6 files were copied direct from DVD back on Jul 3.


How do I find out what is wrong with the file and correct it?

These are my files:
ls -l /home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-*
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 4466416 Jul 3 00:10
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-2.12-1.7.el6.i686.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 3920028 Jul 3 00:17
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 14815992 Jul 3 00:17
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-common-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 983372 Jul 3 00:10
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-devel-2.12-1.7.el6.i686.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 982972 Jul 3 00:17
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-devel-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 605080 Jul 3 00:17
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-headers-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 1416456 Jul 3 00:17
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-static-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm
-rw-r--r-- 1 silentm silentm 157512 Jul 3 00:17
/home/silentm/pxe-install/CentOS-6-x86_64/Packages/glibc-utils-2.12-1.7.el6.x86_64.rpm

Thanks,

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default Help with kickstart install

>Installing glibc-2.12.-1.7.el6.i686
>error unpacking of archive failed on file /lib/ld-2.12.so;4e66d2ec cpio read failed bad file descriptor.
>(Note I am installing x86-64 but the error is on i686 file)

My experience so far is that if your ks actually chooses packages by their arch, x86_64 and noarach
only, anaconda won't pull in any x86 rpms like it used to. If you just specify packages by name, it
may.

>How do I find out what is wrong with the file and correct it?

Without your ks files, hard to speculate. Anaconda has been broken for a while now if
you choose a cdrom install and point to the updates repo, you need to point to os and
updates on a remote server. At least I have reproduced this with 100% certainty at multiple
locations...

Post a cleaned up ks to troubleshoot further.

jlc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM
John Hodrien
 
Default Help with kickstart install

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Without your ks files, hard to speculate. Anaconda has been broken for a
> while now if you choose a cdrom install and point to the updates repo, you
> need to point to os and updates on a remote server. At least I have
> reproduced this with 100% certainty at multiple locations...

Really? I've been doing an entirely network based install, and it doesn't
work pointing at updates. Could you post a specific setup that works?

Thanks,

jh
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"
 
Default Help with kickstart install

>Really? I've been doing an entirely network based install, and it doesn't work pointing
>at updates. Could you post a specific setup that works?

My package selection is the absolute minimum with a few useful tools and a few required
things I know I don't need like firmware yanked. I use a bit of grep etc on `yum groupinfo base`
to figure out what the min requirements are.

abbreviated:

install
url --url= http://ftp.telus.net/pub/centos/6/os/x86_64/ --proxy=http://foo:xx
repo --name=Updates --baseurl=http://ftp.telus.net/pub/centos/6/updates/x86_64/ --proxy=http://foo:xx
...

#%pre
#sleep 999999999

%packages --nobase
# Package Preparation, there is no dns, yum or perl in %pre, deduce minimum package
# selection ahead of time.
...

%post
...
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
John Hodrien
 
Default Help with kickstart install

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>> Really? I've been doing an entirely network based install, and it doesn't work pointing
>> at updates. Could you post a specific setup that works?
>
> My package selection is the absolute minimum with a few useful tools and a
> few required things I know I don't need like firmware yanked. I use a bit of
> grep etc on `yum groupinfo base` to figure out what the min requirements
> are.

Hmm, maybe it works with a minimal install then. I'm getting bitten with an
equivalent setup with more packages being installed.

jh
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org