Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Default Centos Realtek Network driver for Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Greetings,

I am tearing my hair at getting this to work under centos 5.5/Ubuntu 10.04.

Any suggesstions (Repos, RPMs etc)?

My MB Intel embedded NIC blow up after a lightning (Mumbai get _real_
heavy mansoon rains inter alia).

I want this to make work under Centos 5.x (and 6.x subsequently who
DVD I have been downloading with a pithy 128kbps connection).

Rajagopal

Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am tearing my hair at getting this to work under centos 5.5/Ubuntu
> 10.04.
>
> Any suggesstions (Repos, RPMs etc)?
>
> My MB Intel embedded NIC blow up after a lightning (Mumbai get _real_
> heavy mansoon rains inter alia).
>
> I want this to make work under Centos 5.x (and 6.x subsequently who
> DVD I have been downloading with a pithy 128kbps connection).

Sorry, but I don't have a clue of what your problem *is*. Are you saying
you had a surge, and it burned out the NIC, and you're trying to use an
card?

Also, what kind of connection do you have: is it T-3, T-1, DSL, FIOS, or
cable?

mark

Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:

> Sorry, but I don't have a clue of what your problem *is*. Are you saying
> you had a surge, and it burned out the NIC, and you're trying to use an
> card?
>
> Also, what kind of connection do you have: is it T-3, T-1, DSL, FIOS, or
> cable?
>
> * * * *mark
I had a surge and made onboard Intel Port inoperational.

In a hurry, due to my then budget and my stupidity bought this cards
which just has a .c file under its linux folder in its driver floppy.

My connection is coming from Local ISP a franchisee of Pacenet ISP
called BBPaceThane.

I have a CAT5 cable running from a switch froma a 7-story building to
5th floor.

I am compelled to use windows to access internet which I dont want to.

Rajagopal

Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but I don't have a clue of what your problem *is*. Are you saying
>> you had a surge, and it burned out the NIC, and you're trying to use an
>> card?
>>
>> Also, what kind of connection do you have: is it T-3, T-1, DSL, FIOS, or
>> cable?
> I had a surge and made onboard Intel Port inoperational.
>
> In a hurry, due to my then budget and my stupidity bought this cards
> which just has a .c file under its linux folder in its driver floppy.

Oy. What's the make and model of the card?

> My connection is coming from Local ISP a franchisee of Pacenet ISP
> called BBPaceThane.
>
> I have a CAT5 cable running from a switch froma a 7-story building to
> 5th floor.

Ah. Here's a question: are you *sure* that you have a working connection,
and that they're not dead?

Personal note: several times, I've had 'Net access via the cable TV/ISP,
and the ->ethernet port<- on the cable modem burned out: they could ping
the modem, but I couldn't. Replace the cable modem, everything's
wonderful.

So, be aware that such a thing can happen. I only knew about it because,
the first time it happened, I was going crazy trying to figure out what
was gone, and mentioned it to a guy who ran a computer store, and he'd
seen it happen.

> I am compelled to use windows to access internet which I dont want to.

Ugh!

mark

Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 9/7/11, Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:
> In a hurry, due to my then budget and my stupidity bought this cards
> which just has a .c file under its linux folder in its driver floppy.

The Realtek based cards are so common, the necessary drivers should
already be installed. At least I never had to install anything extra
for my CentOS 5.x setup to just work with the RTL cards.

So there's a good chance something else is broken. Maybe you can check
dmesg and see if the card is actually detected during boot?