Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Helmut Drodofsky

Default ICMPv6 messages of type RS

Hallo,
*
as described by CISCO in
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_7-2/ipv6_autoconfig.html
*
a router hast to send ICMPv6 messages of type RS to the all-router multicast group: ff02::1 and ff02::2 for stateless autoconfiguration.
*
How can I activate this sending in CentOS?
*
Best regards
Helmut
*

Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Helmut Drodofsky

*
*

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
R P Herrold

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:

> as described by CISCO in
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_7-2/ipv6_autoconfig.html
>
> a router has to send ICMPv6 messages of type RS to the all-router multicast group: ff02::1 and ff02::2 for stateless autoconfiguration.
>
> How can I activate this sending in CentOS?

I believe what you seek to enable is provided by the radvd,
which is in the package of the same name. We had to provide
configuration to get it working properly on our direct
assignment ipv6 block at PMman, and to take steps to filter
out 'non-authoritative' advertisements from clients running
the daemon on domU instances, to get it working as we
expected, handing out the proper route information

We use this to do assignments both for our production
networking, and also pass this through to client instances as
a matter of default-enabled. All the admin for a client domU
needs to do is comment out a couple of lines and it 'just
works'

For local network ipv6, simply enabling the 'avahi' services
will suffice

-- Russ herrold

Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Vesselin Kolev

Dear Helmut,

Sorry for this letter. I want just to make some aspects of the
problem more clear.

Joining all-router multicast group is a kernel option. Your host
send Router Solicitation requests (it's ICMPv6 code number 133) to
the all-routers multicast group. Sending of RS is controlling by the
kernel options through sysctl:

$ sysctl -a | grep net.ipv6.conf.default.router_solicitations

The default number of router solicitation messages to send is 3. You
can change it to 0 to disable RS if you want:

# sysctl -w "grep net.ipv6.conf.default.router_solicitations=0"

and write this option value to /etc/sysctl.conf if You want to
preserve the value after the system reboot. There are possibility to
manage sysctl via Avahi.

There is some security reasons in support of disabling RS in the
kernels of Your workstations, esp. if You use unmanaged ethernet
switches or managed ones without multicast group management. Where
is the problem? It could be almost IPv6 disaster to enable ipv6
forwarding in more than one of Your local stations or servers,
especially if the router-enabled kernel is not on router machine (so
called "fake router"). If that scenario happens and some or all of
Your stations autoconfigure the fake router local-ling address as a
default IPv6 nexthop, they'll lost their IPv6 connectivity.

I'll recommend You not to use statefull or stateless
auto-configuration unless You can manage the access to You multicast
groups in the local ethernet. DHCPv6 (as a statefull host
configuration) do not solve the problem with fake routers - it uses
RS do discover the router too.

* Best regards

* * Vesselin