Old 09-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default Radeon driver under CentOS-6

I wonder if anyone has CentOS-6 working on an HP MicroServer?
I'm having a problem with the graphics driver
for the Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.

CentOS-5.6 is working fine on this machine;
but at present I only have CentOS-6 running in text mode.

The graphics card as given by "/sbin/lspci -m" is
-------------------------------
01:05.0 "VGA compatible controller" "ATI Technologies Inc" "M880G [Mobility
Radeon HD 4200]" "Hewlett-Packard Company" "Device 1609"
-------------------------------

The Radeon related modules are
-------------------------------
[tim@grover ~]$ lsmod | grep -i radeon
radeon 798300 0
ttm 47134 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 32113 1 radeon
drm 202185 3 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 5664 1 radeon
i2c_core 31274 5
i2c_piix4,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
-------------------------------

Under CentOS-5.6 the Radeon related modules are
-------------------------------
[tim@grover ~]$ lsmod | grep -i radeon
radeon 148193 0
drm 115561 1 radeon
-------------------------------

Admittedly I have probably installed different packages
in the two cases.

I'm wondering if I could try the old radeon module,
and if so how?

Are there any documents that might help me
determine the problem, and hopefully solve it?

I don't see any errors listed in /var/log/messages, or in dmesg.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has CentOS-6 working on an HP MicroServer?
> I'm having a problem with the graphics driver
> for the Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.

It seems to me that the problem may arise
from the lack of config-system-display in CentOS-6.

I see that under CentOS-5.6 the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
was created by config-system-display .
The corresponding file under CentOS-6 is very short:
--------------------------------
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
--------------------------------
Is this file used at all in CentOS-6?

According to
<http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/rhel6/rhel_6_migration_guide/rhel_6_migration_chap-
Migration_Guide-Package_Changes.html>
"The system-config-display tool has been replaced
by XRandr configuration tools"
Unfortunately I've no idea how to use XRandR,
and the documentation for this is not much help.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has CentOS-6 working on an HP MicroServer?
>> I'm having a problem with the graphics driver
>> for the Radeon HD 4200 graphics card.

I've managed to get the machine into graphics mode,
after following the advice in
<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-
single/Installation_Guide/index.html>
to add xdriver=vesa to the kernel line in grub.conf .

I'm not sure if vesa is a different driver,
or is it a mode for the radeon driver?
It does not seem to appear as a module under lsmod ;
the same radeon modules as before are listed.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vesa+driver