Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Brian Peters

Default Migration Assistance

Good Afternoon,
I have been tasked with migrating a machine sitting on RHEL 5.6 off a rackspace cloud server to a local machine. In order to cut costs we would like to utilize Centos 5.6. I have done quite a bit of research and have as of yet been able to find a clear answer on how to accomplish this. I have installed Centos 5.6 locally and am in a time crunch to complete this. I am hoping that someone can explain how to achieve this requirement.

I did create a .tar file of the / partition of the RHEL remote server and rsync'd it locally. Hopefully I can just copy certain files from this .tar file to the new machine. Any and all assistance is tremendously appreciated.

Best.
Brian

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Jay Leafey

I've used the instructions at
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide to move an RHEL system to
CentOS with reasonable results. Of course, YMMV. It sounds like you
have the added complication of a virtual-to-physical, I can't say much
about that as it is not something I have done. Physical-to-virtual (w
VMware) yes, but not v2p.

Good luck!
--
Jay Leafey - jay.leafey@mindless.com
Memphis, TN

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 AM
"Simon Matter"

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have been tasked with migrating a machine sitting on RHEL 5.6 off a
> rackspace cloud server to a local machine. In order to cut costs we would

Whatever this "cloud" thing is, it can mean almost anything these days

> like to utilize Centos 5.6. I have done quite a bit of research and have
> as
> of yet been able to find a clear answer on how to accomplish this. I have
> installed Centos 5.6 locally and am in a time crunch to complete this. I
> am
> hoping that someone can explain how to achieve this requirement.
>
> I did create a .tar file of the / partition of the RHEL remote server and
> rsync'd it locally. Hopefully I can just copy certain files from this .tar
> file to the new machine. Any and all assistance is tremendously
> appreciated.

What I usually end up is to install the new system, then create rpm lists
on the source system and use yum/rpm on the target to make it have the
same packages. After that I apply all config changes (diff is really my
friend here) and rsync the data over.

I did a lot of migrations recently and I found it to be the best way with
just the simple tools: rpm, yum, diff, bash, rsync

Simon

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 AM
"R - elists"

*
brian,
*
there are many
solutions
*
if you like ssh and rsync etc,
then...
*
taking this solution and modify it a
little and it works great
*
http://www.jms1.net/code/rsync-backup.shtml
*
one, you can backup the machine(s) to
another system with large space
*
two, once machine(s) backed up, then you
can mod the script to do proper excludes and then rsync the remote 5.6 to the
local 5.6
*
again, proper use of excludes in the
script is necessary and then when getting ready to do final pull, you have to
modify the local space to write to so it doesnt go into a backup directory, but
to where it need to go on the new server

*-
rh