-   -   linux xfs (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/572165-linux-xfs.html)

James Pearson 09-05-2011 07:41 PM

linux xfs

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get the below issue when i install CentOS 5.6 x86_64 on IBM x3650 M3
> when i run "linux xfs" at boot prompt. Please suggest/guide.
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal
>
> 20:15:04 INFO : formatting / as xfs
> 20:15:04 CRITICAL: Traceback (most recent call first):
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/subprocess.py", line 996, in _execute_child
> RuntimeError: /usr/sbin/mkfs.xfs can not be run

CentOS 5 doesn't support XFS in the installer

Once you have installed CentOS (with ext3 on the root disk), you can
then install the xfsprogs RPM and make XFS file systems on other
partitions/disks

James Pearson

John Hodrien 09-06-2011 07:31 AM

linux xfs

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> RuntimeError: /usr/sbin/mkfs.xfs can not be run
>
> CentOS 5 doesn't support XFS in the installer
>
> Once you have installed CentOS (with ext3 on the root disk), you can
> then install the xfsprogs RPM and make XFS file systems on other
> partitions/disks

And that's the exact same answer Kaushal was given on #centos earlier in the
day. Let's not forget he was wanting an XFS /boot and / (and so using a
LiveCD was suggested to do the format and partition in advance of the
installer). Then there was a desire to do it all within the installer, so it
was suggested you could just copy mkfs.xfs into the installer and do it by
hand in the shell.

jh

James Pearson 09-06-2011 10:40 AM

linux xfs

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, James Pearson wrote:
>

>>Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>>
>>> RuntimeError: /usr/sbin/mkfs.xfs can not be run
>>
>>CentOS 5 doesn't support XFS in the installer
>>
>>Once you have installed CentOS (with ext3 on the root disk), you can
>>then install the xfsprogs RPM and make XFS file systems on other
>>partitions/disks
>

> And that's the exact same answer Kaushal was given on #centos earlier in the
> day. Let's not forget he was wanting an XFS /boot and / (and so using a
> LiveCD was suggested to do the format and partition in advance of the
> installer). Then there was a desire to do it all within the installer, so it
> was suggested you could just copy mkfs.xfs into the installer and do it by
> hand in the shell.

I use a custom CentOS 5 installer that will create (and install on) XFS
/boot and / - so it is possible, but does involve patching and
rebuilding anaconda and then rebuilding the installer images (not a
straight forward process).

However, I'm not sure there is much to gain by having XFS /boot and /
file systems

James Pearson

John Hodrien 09-06-2011 03:51 PM

linux xfs

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> I use a custom CentOS 5 installer that will create (and install on) XFS
> /boot and / - so it is possible, but does involve patching and
> rebuilding anaconda and then rebuilding the installer images (not a
> straight forward process).

Can you not just do it with a pre script? I'd have thought you could wget
mkfs.xfs and do the partition at that stage, then have it not format later on.
Or are the partition probing issues?

> However, I'm not sure there is much to gain by having XFS /boot and /
> file systems

No, I wasn't convinced there was either.

jh

James Pearson 09-06-2011 04:18 PM

linux xfs

John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, James Pearson wrote:
>
>>I use a custom CentOS 5 installer that will create (and install on) XFS
>>/boot and / - so it is possible, but does involve patching and
>>rebuilding anaconda and then rebuilding the installer images (not a
>>straight forward process).
>

> Can you not just do it with a pre script? I'd have thought you could wget
> mkfs.xfs and do the partition at that stage, then have it not format later on.
> Or are the partition probing issues?

I wanted to add XFS as an available filesystem using the standard
installer menu items for others to use.

James Pearson

John Hodrien 09-06-2011 04:20 PM

linux xfs

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, James Pearson wrote:

> I wanted to add XFS as an available filesystem using the standard
> installer menu items for others to use.

Okay, neater.

jh