Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

Default Broadcom Wifi Problem

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 17:27 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> I have a Broadcom 802.11b/g hardware on my dual-boot laptop.
> Note first that in the WinXP partition, the wifi makes DHCP
> connections to my router with no problem. Since this
> was not working in my new CentOS 6 partition, and
> remembering that there was a driver problem with the
> old Fedora partition it replaced, I followed instructions
> founs at:
>
> http://repecka.net/en/2011/04/19/install-broadcom-bcm4311-802-11bg-wlan-
> drivers-on-centos/
>
> and
>
> http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt
>
> modifying for that fact that I use wlan0 rather than eth1.
> The wifi is now dead-in-the-water. The wlan light now
> remains red, and neither ifconfig nor iwconfig show any
> sign of wlan0 (contra to the situation before I installed
> the new driver). It still works in the WinXP partition.
>
> Suggestions for my next step in fixing this would be most
> welcome.
>
> Thank,
> Mike.

Maybe you need to install the firmware? My laptop still uses the b43
driver but not entirely w/o issue.

# yum search b43

<snip>
================================= Matched: b43
=================================
b43-fwcutter.x86_64 : Firmware extraction tool for Broadcom wireless
driver
b43-tools.x86_64 : Tools for the Broadcom 43xx series WLAN chip
b43-openfwwf.noarch : Open firmware for some Broadcom 43xx series WLAN
chips
compat-db43.i686 : The Berkeley DB database 4.3.29 compatibility library
compat-db43.x86_64 : The Berkeley DB database 4.3.29 compatibility
library

HTH

B.J.
CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)

Old 09-05-2011, 05:58 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 13:47:43 -0400, b.j. mcclure wrote:

[...]
> Maybe you need to install the firmware? My laptop still uses the b43
> driver but not entirely w/o issue.
>
> # yum search b43

[...]

The instructions mentioned above include removing b43 and
replacing it with something downloaded from Broadcom.

Mike.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
"b.j. mcclure"

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 17:58 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 13:47:43 -0400, b.j. mcclure wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > Maybe you need to install the firmware? My laptop still uses the b43
> > driver but not entirely w/o issue.
> >
> > # yum search b43
> >
> [...]
>
> The instructions mentioned above include removing b43 and
> replacing it with something downloaded from Broadcom.
>
> Mike.

Yes, I'm aware of that, however, the driver is useless without the
firmware installed. Whether the native CentOS 6 firmware package will
work with your driver is a question I cannot answer. I see no reference
in the link you posted about firmware but since it discusses removing
and blacklisting the b43 driver I would guess the are assuming the
firmware is installed.

I would start with native packages in CentOS 6 and if operation is
unsatisfactory then seek another solution.

Just my $0.02.

CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final)

Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:11:21 -0400, b.j. mcclure wrote:

[...]
> I would start with native packages in CentOS 6 and if operation is
> unsatisfactory then seek another solution.

Yes, the native packages didn't work and I am mow seeking
"another solution". They did show the presence of wlan0, but
they would not connect.

Mike.