Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Always Learning

Default Centos 5.6 Implications of PGP53 ?

If one stays with Centos 5.x (currently on 5.6) is the
problem/enhancement/incompatibility involving PHP53 likely to be
resolved by general updates and/or the introduction of Centos 5.7 ?

Paul.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net>:

> If one stays with Centos 5.x (currently on 5.6) is the
> problem/enhancement/incompatibility involving PHP53 likely to be
> resolved by general updates and/or the introduction of Centos 5.7 ?
>
> Paul.

Me too. I have working Drupal installs that I want to move up a
version (to 7.4) but need 5.3. I'm reluctant to do this until I have
some experience in hand about whether it will go smoothly. Yum picks
up the updates but so far I have refrained.

Anyone have experience on this?

Dave

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
Krishnamurti

Old 09-04-2011, 01:10 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 01:15:43AM +0100, Always Learning wrote:

> If one stays with Centos 5.x (currently on 5.6) is the
> problem/enhancement/incompatibility involving PHP53 likely to be
> resolved by general updates and/or the introduction of Centos 5.7 ?

Redhat has basically come out and said they aren't going to fix the
Provides: and lack of mcrypt with php53.

Solution: don't use the CentOS php53 and use that provided by IUS
instead. That works right.

John
--
Human beings hardly ever learn from the experience of others. They learn;
when they do, which isn't often, on their own, the hard way.

-- Robert Heinlein (1907-1988), American science fiction writer, Time
Enough for Love (1973)

Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 20:10 -0500, John R. Dennison wrote:

> Solution: don't use the CentOS php53 and use that provided by IUS
> instead. That works right.

Thank you.

Paul.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM, Always Learning <centos@u61.u22.net> wrote:

> If one stays with Centos 5.x (currently on 5.6) is the
> problem/enhancement/incompatibility involving PHP53 likely to be
> resolved by general updates and/or the introduction of Centos 5.7 ?
>
> Paul.

You can download the source package and compile the module. This
doesn't require as many many devel dependencies on a production system
as it would to rebuild the php rpm. You will need to repeat this for
php upgrades. The only unpackaged files installed on your system
besides the files in /usr/src/redhat, which can be deleted, are
mcrypt.so and mcrypt.ini.

yum install php53-devel libmcrypt-devel
cd
wget http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/updates/SRPMS/php53-5.3.3-1.el5_6.1.src.rpm
mkdir /usr/src/redhat
rpm -i php53-5.3.3-1.el5_6.1.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat
bunzip2 php-5.3.3.tar.bz2
tar xf php-5.3.3.tar
cd php-5.3.3/ext/mcrypt
phpize
aclocal
./configure
make
make install
echo “extension=mcrypt.so” > /etc/php.d/mcrypt.ini
service httpd restart

Ryan