Old 09-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Stephen Harris

Default Question on CR

I've been re-reading
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-August/017689.html

I'm not clear as to when an update would go into the normal updates
repository and when it'd go into the cr repository.

Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm not attacking; I'm just trying
to understand how this works.

My best guess is that upstream is now 5.7 and bug fixes would be against
5.7, but since we're at 5.6 those fixes don't specifically apply, and so
the cr is a temporary holding place for packages (and their dependencies)
which would normally be in 5.7 but that need an earlier release (eg
security). In this way cr is an attempt to provide timely security
patches while the new release is still being prepared and validated.

Is that correct? Are cr packages still validated as strictly as every
other package? Are there any potential negative consequences of using cr?

(Of course that posting - Aug 15th - hoped 5.7 would be out by 25th :-))

Thanks!

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 09/03/2011 02:27 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> My best guess is that upstream is now 5.7 and bug fixes would be against
> 5.7, but since we're at 5.6 those fixes don't specifically apply, and so
> the cr is a temporary holding place for packages (and their dependencies)
> which would normally be in 5.7 but that need an earlier release (eg
> security). In this way cr is an attempt to provide timely security
> patches while the new release is still being prepared and validated.

yes.

- KB