Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 AM
hadi motamedi

Default centos rpm package description list?

Dear All
Is there any reference link that lists the centos rpm packages by
their description? As I know, we have reference sites like
rpm.pbone.net and dag.wieers.com etc that we can search for an rpm
package by its name. But what we have if we want to find a rpm package
by its description rather than its name? Say we want to find how many
solutions do we have for Image processing or Speech processing on
centos, so if we know the solution is GIMP so we can search for its
rpm package on the mentioned sites but what we can do if we just know
the rpm package description?
Thank you

Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Colin Coles

On Saturday 03 Sep 2011, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> Is there any reference link that lists the centos rpm packages by
> their description? As I know, we have reference sites like
> rpm.pbone.net and dag.wieers.com etc that we can search for an rpm
> package by its name. But what we have if we want to find a rpm package
> by its description rather than its name? Say we want to find how many
> solutions do we have for Image processing or Speech processing on
> centos, so if we know the solution is GIMP so we can search for its
> rpm package on the mentioned sites but what we can do if we just know
> the rpm package description?

'yum search speech' might be what you are looking for.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM
hadi motamedi

Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Always Learning

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 16:07 +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Is there any reference link that lists the centos rpm packages by
> their description? As I know, we have reference sites like
> rpm.pbone.net and dag.wieers.com etc that we can search for an rpm
> package by its name. But what we have if we want to find a rpm package
> by its description rather than its name? Say we want to find how many
> solutions do we have for Image processing or Speech processing on
> centos, so if we know the solution is GIMP so we can search for its
> rpm package on the mentioned sites but what we can do if we just know
> the rpm package description?

If people can provide the data, I'll host a site with a database
look-up.

Initially the fields for each entry would be:-

database reference number - searchable, exact match
general type: audio-visual - searchable, drop-down menu
sub-type: audio - searchable, drop-down menu
comments: used to be called aaaa - searchable, partial match
package name: searchable, partial match
location: URL or repo site name - searchable, partial match on URL
Centos 5 available flag: used in combination with a search
Centos 6 available flag: used in combination with a search
Non-Centos flag: used in combination with a search

The site could perhaps be called: software.centos.org although I have
sufficient resources for an alternative URL.

Paul
Always Programming