Old 09-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Default VMware tools 1.0.10 on Centos 6?

I have an instance of VMware server 1.0.10 hosted on CentOS 5, and it
runs fine, with guests of CentOS 4, CentOS5 or Win2000.

I have just created a new VM and installed CentOS6 on it, which also runs
fine, except that I can't build the VMware tools on it. I get compilation
errors when compiling the kernel modules, due to changes in the definition
of struct net_device among other things.

I saw a suggestion to use open-vm-tools, but looking at the RPMs on the
Lucid site, it only talks about versions for ESX.

I could try compiling from source, but I wanted to check first whether
anyone here has succeeded in installing VMware tools on CentOS 6 for
VMware Server.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
carlopmart

On 09/02/2011 07:12 PM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> I have an instance of VMware server 1.0.10 hosted on CentOS 5, and it
> runs fine, with guests of CentOS 4, CentOS5 or Win2000.
>
> I have just created a new VM and installed CentOS6 on it, which also runs
> fine, except that I can't build the VMware tools on it. I get compilation
> errors when compiling the kernel modules, due to changes in the definition
> of struct net_device among other things.
>
> I saw a suggestion to use open-vm-tools, but looking at the RPMs on the
> Lucid site, it only talks about versions for ESX.
>
> I could try compiling from source, but I wanted to check first whether
> anyone here has succeeded in installing VMware tools on CentOS 6 for
> VMware Server.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

Short response: no. You can't install vmware tools from vmware server.
Only vmware tools from ESXi 5 works for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6.x ...

And another problem: why do you use vmware server?? It is EOL and not
supported for vmware anymore.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Luigi Rosa

carlopmart said the following on 02/09/11 19:19:

> Only vmware tools from ESXi 5 works for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6.x ...

Installed successfully VMware tools of VMware Workstation 7.1.4 (the same level
as ESXi 4.1 AFIK) on CentOS 6

Ciao,
luigi

--
/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--

To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart.
It's a way of life.
--Henri Cartier-Bresson

Old 09-02-2011, 05:33 PM
carlopmart

On 09/02/2011 07:28 PM, Luigi Rosa wrote:
> carlopmart said the following on 02/09/11 19:19:
>
>> Only vmware tools from ESXi 5 works for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6.x ...
>
> Installed successfully VMware tools of VMware Workstation 7.1.4 (the same level
> as ESXi 4.1 AFIK) on CentOS 6
>

> Ciao,
> luigi

Without doing this:
http://blog.toracat.org/2011/05/vmware-workstation-and-rhel6-1/?? This
method isn't supported by vmware for workstation 7.1.4 and ESXi 4. (I
have confirmed this point with vmware, another question if method
works). And vmware tools 7.x doesn't works under vmware server 1.x ...

Only vmware tools provided under ESXi 5 for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6 are
supported by vmware.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
carlopmart

On 09/02/2011 07:33 PM, carlopmart wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 07:28 PM, Luigi Rosa wrote:
>> carlopmart said the following on 02/09/11 19:19:
>>
>>> Only vmware tools from ESXi 5 works for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6.x ...
>>
>> Installed successfully VMware tools of VMware Workstation 7.1.4 (the
>> same level
>> as ESXi 4.1 AFIK) on CentOS 6
>>

>> Ciao,
>> luigi
>>

> Without doing this:
> http://blog.toracat.org/2011/05/vmware-workstation-and-rhel6-1/?? This
> method isn't supported by vmware for workstation 7.1.4 and ESXi 4. (I
> have confirmed this point with vmware, another question if method
> works). And vmware tools 7.x doesn't works under vmware server 1.x ...
>

> Only vmware tools provided under ESXi 5 for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6 are
> supported by vmware.

OOps, my fault: vmware tools 7.x works for CentOS 6.0, but not for
RHEL/SL 6.1 ...

Sorry.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 09-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Luigi Rosa

carlopmart said the following on 02/09/11 19:44:

> OOps, my fault: vmware tools 7.x works for CentOS 6.0, but not for
> RHEL/SL 6.1 ...

"works" with some ceveats.

If I fire up X on a CentOS 6 VM running inside a WMware Workstation 7.1.4 64 bit
running on Ubuntu, sometimes the mouse status is screwed up in Ubuntu enviroment
and the only solution is to restart Ubuntu.

Anyway, VMware announced that Workstation 8 will be available at the mid of
september.

Ciao,
luigi

--
/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar
territory.
--Paul Fix

Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM

In article <4E611015.2030107@gmail.com>,
carlopmart <carlopmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 07:12 PM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > I have an instance of VMware server 1.0.10 hosted on CentOS 5, and it
> > runs fine, with guests of CentOS 4, CentOS5 or Win2000.
> >
> > I have just created a new VM and installed CentOS6 on it, which also runs
> > fine, except that I can't build the VMware tools on it. I get compilation
> > errors when compiling the kernel modules, due to changes in the definition
> > of struct net_device among other things.
>
> Short response: no. You can't install vmware tools from vmware server.
> Only vmware tools from ESXi 5 works for CentOS/RHEL/SL 6.x ...

OK, thanks.

> And another problem: why do you use vmware server?? It is EOL and not
> supported for vmware anymore.

Mainly because it's a test system at home on which I've had VMware server
installed for a couple of years already, and have had no reason to change
(perhaps until now). It was free at the time. I haven't investigated the
cost of ESXi. If I were to move to that, could I use my existing virtual
machines unchanged?

Cheers
Tony

Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Tony Mountifield <tony@softins.co.uk> wrote:

>> And another problem: why do you use vmware server?? It is EOL and not
>> supported for vmware anymore.
>
> Mainly because it's a test system at home on which I've had VMware server
> installed for a couple of years already, and have had no reason to change
> (perhaps until now). It was free at the time. I haven't investigated the
> cost of ESXi. If I were to move to that, could I use my existing virtual
> machines unchanged?

ESXi is free (unless that is changed in 5.x), you just don't get any
of the clustering and multiple server management capabilities of the
paid version. You do have to run it directly on the host which has to
support hardware virtualization. Most recent processors do, but check
for vmx or svm in the flags in /pro/cpuinfo. You need a windows box
to run the console, but it doesn't have to stay connected all the
time. And there is a free converter program to move the images (or
physical hosts) to guests under ESXi, but if you use the same machine
you'll have to copy them off somewhere first.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 PM

In article <CAOAgVpz7tt31-oNSEYUV24hL4bwXWjOkLiG=yaShbXqnTtGyWg@mail.gmail.c om>,
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Tony Mountifield <tony@softins.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> And another problem: why do you use vmware server?? It is EOL and not
> >> supported for vmware anymore.
> >
> > Mainly because it's a test system at home on which I've had VMware server
> > installed for a couple of years already, and have had no reason to change
> > (perhaps until now). It was free at the time. I haven't investigated the
> > cost of ESXi. If I were to move to that, could I use my existing virtual
> > machines unchanged?
> >

> ESXi is free (unless that is changed in 5.x), you just don't get any
> of the clustering and multiple server management capabilities of the
> paid version. You do have to run it directly on the host which has to
> support hardware virtualization. Most recent processors do, but check
> for vmx or svm in the flags in /pro/cpuinfo. You need a windows box
> to run the console, but it doesn't have to stay connected all the
> time. And there is a free converter program to move the images (or
> physical hosts) to guests under ESXi, but if you use the same machine
> you'll have to copy them off somewhere first.

OK, thanks. That looks worth investigating. The host is an HP ML110 G5
with a dual-core Xeon 3065. It shows the vmx flag.

Cheers
Tony

Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
carlopmart

On 09/03/2011 12:09 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article<CAOAgVpz7tt31-oNSEYUV24hL4bwXWjOkLiG=yaShbXqnTtGyWg@mail.gmail.c om>,

>>> Mainly because it's a test system at home on which I've had VMware server
>>> installed for a couple of years already, and have had no reason to change
>>> (perhaps until now). It was free at the time. I haven't investigated the
>>> cost of ESXi. If I were to move to that, could I use my existing virtual
>>> machines unchanged?
>>>

>> ESXi is free (unless that is changed in 5.x), you just don't get any
>> of the clustering and multiple server management capabilities of the
>> paid version. You do have to run it directly on the host which has to
>> support hardware virtualization. Most recent processors do, but check
>> for vmx or svm in the flags in /pro/cpuinfo. You need a windows box
>> to run the console, but it doesn't have to stay connected all the
>> time. And there is a free converter program to move the images (or
>> physical hosts) to guests under ESXi, but if you use the same machine
>> you'll have to copy them off somewhere first.
>
> OK, thanks. That looks worth investigating. The host is an HP ML110 G5
> with a dual-core Xeon 3065. It shows the vmx flag.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

ESXi 4 and ESXi 5 works in this system .... Only one suggestion: buy a
good smart array interface like HP ones if you can ...

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com