-   -   CentOS 6 + XEN problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/571128-centos-6-xen-problem.html)

Rudi Ahlers 09-02-2011 12:44 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

Hi,

Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?

I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:

http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

And the server now gives this error on reboot: PANIC: early exception

0e rip 10:0 error 10 cr2 0

These are the packages that was installed:

Installed:
* kernel-xen.x86_64 0:2.6.32.45-1******************************** xen.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1

Dependency Installed:
* PyXML.x86_64 0:0.8.4-19.el6************** SDL.x86_64 0:1.2.14-2.el6************ kpartx.x86_64 0:0.4.9-31.el6_0.3

* libXdamage.x86_64 0:1.1.2-1.el6********** libXfixes.x86_64 0:4.0.4-1.el6******* libXxf86vm.x86_64 0:1.1.0-1.el6
* mesa-dri-drivers.x86_64 0:7.7-2.el6****** mesa-libGL.x86_64 0:7.7-2.el6******** xen-hypervisor.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1

* xen-libs.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1************** xen-licenses.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1****** xen-runtime.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com

Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

R P Herrold 09-02-2011 01:49 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?
>
> I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:
> http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

and this issue about a third party writeup is not asked first
in that venue, because ?

and this issue about a virtualization issue is not asked on
the specific virtualization list that Centos offers, because ?

and this invasive, non-shipped and competing virtualization
method (at the 6 level) and non-shipped and non-supported
kernel is asked here, because ?

Every time the ten or so people who treat this list like an
'anything goes' sewer post, tens of thousands of uses have to
wade through the dross

Every time the few here who cannot distinquish email and run
untrimmed one line reply emails back and forth, over and over
again, rather than using the CentOS provided IRC channels,
tens of thousands of uses have to wade through the dross

_Please_ be considerate, use the proper venue, brush and floss
after meals, and research before posting ;)

-- Russ herrold

Rudi Ahlers 09-02-2011 02:03 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:49 PM, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?

> I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:

> http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

and this issue about a third party writeup is not asked first

in that venue, because ?

and this issue about a virtualization issue is not asked on

the specific virtualization list that Centos offers, because ?

and this invasive, non-shipped and competing virtualization

method (at the 6 level) and non-shipped and non-supported

kernel is asked here, because ?

Every time the ten or so people who treat this list like an

'anything goes' sewer post, tens of thousands of uses have to

wade through the dross

Every time the few here who cannot distinquish email and run

untrimmed one line reply emails back and forth, over and over

again, rather than using the CentOS provided IRC channels,

tens of thousands of uses have to wade through the dross

_Please_ be considerate, use the proper venue, brush and floss

after meals, and research before posting ;)

-- Russ herrold

Russ because everyone else has the same "I don't care, take it elsewhere attitude as you".

but don't worry, I'm leaving this childish list as well. have fun

Digimer 09-02-2011 02:09 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On 09/02/2011 09:49 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?
>>
>> I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:
>> http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/
>
> and this issue about a third party writeup is not asked first
> in that venue, because ?
>
> and this issue about a virtualization issue is not asked on
> the specific virtualization list that Centos offers, because ?
>
> and this invasive, non-shipped and competing virtualization
> method (at the 6 level) and non-shipped and non-supported
> kernel is asked here, because ?
>
> Every time the ten or so people who treat this list like an
> 'anything goes' sewer post, tens of thousands of uses have to
> wade through the dross
>
> Every time the few here who cannot distinquish email and run
> untrimmed one line reply emails back and forth, over and over
> again, rather than using the CentOS provided IRC channels,
> tens of thousands of uses have to wade through the dross
>
> _Please_ be considerate, use the proper venue, brush and floss
> after meals, and research before posting ;)
>
> -- Russ herrold

That was hardly called for. If you find a post off topic or
uninteresting, just delete it. Either no one will reply or, if there is
interest in the question, others will and the question will be decided
to have value.

If we keep acting rude, we will tear apart this community. Please, for
our collective sake, be more polite.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Ross Walker 09-02-2011 02:13 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Sep 2, 2011, at 9:49 AM, R P Herrold <herrold@owlriver.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?
>>
>> I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:
>> http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/
>
> and this issue about a third party writeup is not asked first
> in that venue, because ?
>
> and this issue about a virtualization issue is not asked on
> the specific virtualization list that Centos offers, because ?
>
> and this invasive, non-shipped and competing virtualization
> method (at the 6 level) and non-shipped and non-supported
> kernel is asked here, because ?
>
> Every time the ten or so people who treat this list like an
> 'anything goes' sewer post, tens of thousands of uses have to
> wade through the dross
>
> Every time the few here who cannot distinquish email and run
> untrimmed one line reply emails back and forth, over and over
> again, rather than using the CentOS provided IRC channels,
> tens of thousands of uses have to wade through the dross
>
> _Please_ be considerate, use the proper venue, brush and floss
> after meals, and research before posting ;)

Better to let these OT posts fall on deaf ears then make list noise on them.

And since I have just made noise I am going to shut up about this and any other OT post I see.

-Ross

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 09-02-2011 02:26 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

Digimer wrote:
> On 09/02/2011 09:49 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?
>>>
>>> I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:
>>> http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

<snip>
>> _Please_ be considerate, use the proper venue, brush and floss
>> after meals, and research before posting ;)
>>
>> -- Russ herrold
>
> That was hardly called for. If you find a post off topic or
> uninteresting, just delete it. Either no one will reply or, if there is
> interest in the question, others will and the question will be decided
> to have value.

having someone reply to an OT post doesn't make it on-topic. It just
makes thousands of users have to delete another email.
Similarly, having a helpful user give the answer that the OP would have
found as google hit number 1, wastes everybody else's time.

So: use the proper venue instead of posting everything and anything
here, and research before posting, are totally appropriate requests.

> If we keep acting rude, we will tear apart this community. Please, for
> our collective sake, be more polite.

How was Russ's reply rude? He actually took the time to explain
things... and remained civil doing it.

R P Herrold 09-02-2011 02:29 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Digimer wrote:

> That was hardly called for. If you find a post off topic or
> uninteresting, just delete it. Either no one will reply or, if there is
> interest in the question, others will and the question will be decided
> to have value.

wrong

Seemingly you feel it is proper to burden tens of thousands of
other people for personal pleasure ... others here display
such an anti-social attitude as well

The CentOS team, of which I am a part, are stewards of the
resource that CentOS has grown into. I spoke publicly quite
intentionally, after prior private request on other OT matter
he persisted in raising, with a hope in sensitizing a serial
off topic poster, from repeating such improper behaviour

I won't 'suffer in silence' while people with muddy boots
stomp around on the white carpet of my living room. If they
won't respond to a private request, they get called out
publicly

We do not hesitate to kick spammers off from posting rights
[and listen to the list members rant and ring the spam with
poorly trimmed reposts for days afterward]. Frankly sustained
OT content or trolling are spam at a lower data rate. I do
not favor silent censorship, but we who value the list as a
resource need to protect the asset somehow. Thus my post

A fair reading of a month's archive and the seemingly infinite
run-away threds readily shows the problem. The mail list is
turning into the cesspool that main #centos IRC became when it
was opened to OT and trolling. We need to do more than we
have, all of us, who care about the project

Feel free to review the initial poster's history on this
list, and contribution, vs leaching ratio. I won't miss him a
bit, and frankly the list will likely not be poorer for his
absence either

If you feel me wrong, feel free to start your own project and
lists and prove me wrong

-- Russ herrold

Always Learning 09-02-2011 02:30 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 16:26 +0200, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> How was Russ's reply rude? He actually took the time to explain
> things... and remained civil doing it.

Can we discontinue this and return to tranquillity please ?

Paul.

"R - elists" 09-02-2011 04:02 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

> Can we discontinue this and return to tranquillity please ?
>
> Paul.

Paul,

with all humility & due respect, if I was given authority within CentOS and
on this list, you would be one of the first we would discipline...

- rh

Rudi Ahlers 09-02-2011 04:14 PM

CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM, R - elists <lists07@abbacomm.net> wrote:

> Can we discontinue this and return to tranquillity please ?

> Paul.

Paul,

with all humility & due respect, if I was given authority within CentOS and

on this list, you would be one of the first we would discipline...

*- rh

Russ why don't you just discipline everyone? Cause no-one can stick to CentOS-only conversations in your righteous eyes.