Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM
R P Herrold

Default CentOS 6 + XEN problem

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM, R - elists <lists07@abbacomm.net> wrote:
>> - rh

> Russ why don't you just discipline everyone? Cause no-one can stick to
> CentOS-only conversations in your righteous eyes.

Rudi,

I know it is confusing to you , as Robert Heller and Russ
Herrold share the same intiials, but I have not used the work
'discipline' in this thread, and indeed, my attitude is one of
fostering thoughtful list membership

I've considered asking him to change his name, but concluded
that was perhaps a bit extreme

Oh -- and I thought you were de-subscribing?

with my best regards,

-- Russ herrold

Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Always Learning

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 14:34 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM, R - elists <lists07@abbacomm.net> wrote:
> >> - rh
>
> > Russ why don't you just discipline everyone? Cause no-one can stick to
> > CentOS-only conversations in your righteous eyes.

> Rudi,
>
> I know it is confusing to you , as Robert Heller and Russ
> Herrold share the same intiials, but I have not used the work
> 'discipline' in this thread, and indeed, my attitude is one of
> fostering thoughtful list membership

It is entirely possible the 'R' of abbacomm.net is an abbreviation for
'Robert' who has a different surname. Such confusion is possible in the
best of families, even those using computers :-)

> Oh -- and I thought you were de-subscribing?

I asked him not too. Lets have one big happy and united family.

Paul.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 02:44:09PM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know what version of XEN works fine with CentOS 6?
>
> I installed XEN on a CentOS 6 server, as per these instructions:
> [1]http://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/
>
> And the server now gives this error on reboot: PANIC: early exception
>
> 0e rip 10:0 error 10 cr2 0
>
> These are the packages that was installed:
>
> Installed:
> kernel-xen.x86_64 0:2.6.32.45-1
> xen.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1
>
> Dependency Installed:
> PyXML.x86_64 0:0.8.4-19.el6 SDL.x86_64
> 0:1.2.14-2.el6 kpartx.x86_64 0:0.4.9-31.el6_0.3
> libXdamage.x86_64 0:1.1.2-1.el6 libXfixes.x86_64
> 0:4.0.4-1.el6 libXxf86vm.x86_64 0:1.1.0-1.el6
> mesa-dri-drivers.x86_64 0:7.7-2.el6 mesa-libGL.x86_64
> 0:7.7-2.el6 xen-hypervisor.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1
> xen-libs.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1 xen-licenses.x86_64
> 0:4.1.1-3.1 xen-runtime.x86_64 0:4.1.1-3.1

Did you try using mayoung's "xendom0" kernel rpms? They're based on actual rhel 6.0/6.1 kernels..
(the kernel you're using now sounds like upstream kernel - not rhel6 kernel).

xen hypervisor/tools rpms: http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/EL6.xen/
xendom0 kernel for el6: http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/testing/

And: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/RHEL6Xen4Tutorial

-- Pasi

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:

> Did you try using mayoung's "xendom0" kernel rpms? They're based on actual rhel 6.0/6.1 kernels..
> (the kernel you're using now sounds like upstream kernel - not rhel6 kernel).
>
> xen hypervisor/tools rpms: http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/EL6.xen/
> xendom0 kernel for el6: http://xenbits.xen.org/people/mayoung/testing/

How stable are those kernels? I couldn't find much info about mayoung
on the internet, so I don't know how trustworthy he, or his work is.

> And: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/RHEL6Xen4Tutorial

I read that tutorial but it seems very specific to Red Hat and since I
work on CentOS some of the options there don't apply, but I don't know
if it could cause any problems.

Has anyone applied those steps to a CentOS system?

> -- Pasi

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers
SoftDux

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Hello Rudi,

Regarding the tutorial for RHEL6 and Xen I'd like to remind you of the fact that CentOS is 100% compatible clone of RHEL so basically everything you read and find on the internet regarding RHEL6 can usually be applied identically to any CentOS6 system as well ...

Regarding those kernels mentioned I'd assume as they are being offered by xen.org directly and made by one of their key developers they can be assumed stable and trustworthy - But if you want to setup a production site with Xen why not rely on XCP or choose another distribution that offers direct support for xen like e.g. debian (have a look at project "kronos" ) or ubuntu as well ...

Best regards,
Andreas Balg