Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default Centos 6, KDE 4: canot manage network

In KDE 4, I click:

Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
Network Settings > Network Settings

I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported.
(This did not happen before.) I am offered choices.
I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this wrong? I also tried
RedHat 9.0.).

I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list
*** even though I am presently running eth0 and can
successfully ping google.com through it.***.

Now I set that interface using a GUI just a few days ago.
I will say, the GUI looks different.

So what's happening?

Thanks for your help.
Mike.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> In KDE 4, I click:
>
> Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
> Network Settings > Network Settings
>
> I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported.
> (This did not happen before.) I am offered choices.
> I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this wrong? I also tried
> RedHat 9.0.).

Use RHEL 6. RH 9 was before RH started RHEL.

> I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list
> *** even though I am presently running eth0 and can
> successfully ping google.com through it.***.

Are you running this as root, or did it ask for root's password?
<snip>
mark

Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:03:07 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:

> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> In KDE 4, I click:
>>
>> Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
>> Network Settings > Network Settings
>>
>> I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported. (This did
>> not happen before.) I am offered choices. I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this
>> wrong? I also tried RedHat 9.0.).
>
> Use RHEL 6. RH 9 was before RH started RHEL.
>>
>> I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list *** even though
>> I am presently running eth0 and can successfully ping google.com
>> through it.***.
>
> Are you running this as root, or did it ask for root's password? <snip>
> mark

I see "Red Hat Linux 6.0 Hedwig", I see no "RHEL" on the list.
Is this missing?

I am root.

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:03:07 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:
>> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>>> In KDE 4, I click:
>>>
>>> Kickoff > System Settings > Network & Connectivity >
>>> Network Settings > Network Settings
>>>
>>> I get a popup informing me that my system is not supported. (This did
>>> not happen before.) I am offered choices. I choose RedHat 6.0 (Is this
>>> wrong? I also tried RedHat 9.0.).
>>
>> Use RHEL 6. RH 9 was before RH started RHEL.
>>>
>>> I select Network Interfaces. I see nothing on the list *** even though
>>> I am presently running eth0 and can successfully ping google.com
>>> through it.***.
>>
>> Are you running this as root, or did it ask for root's password? <snip>
>> mark
>
> I see "Red Hat Linux 6.0 Hedwig", I see no "RHEL" on the list.
> Is this missing?
>
> I am root.

ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I started
using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike), RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL
4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.

Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the command line?

mark

Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:33:16 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:
[...]
> ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I
> started using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike),
> RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL 4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.
>
> Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the command
> line?
>
> mark

Is it just my GUI options, or is KDE 4 bad? Is any one else
succeeding with CentOS 6 and KDE 4?

I guess ifconfig and iwconfig are the commands to use. Right?

Also, in view of all the problems I am having, perhaps I should
drop back to CentOS 5.6. What do you think?

Mike.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:33:16 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I
>> started using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike),
>> RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL 4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.
>>
>> Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the command
>> line?
>
> Is it just my GUI options, or is KDE 4 bad? Is any one else
> succeeding with CentOS 6 and KDE 4?

No idea - never used the GUI, literally. The most I've every used that was
"GUI" (for small values of GUI), was system-config-network.

> I guess ifconfig and iwconfig are the commands to use. Right?

Is this on a laptop, or are you hardwired? If the latter, you can just
edit /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0,
then restart the network.

> Also, in view of all the problems I am having, perhaps I should
> drop back to CentOS 5.6. What do you think?

Don't see why, unless you absolutely don't want to deal with the network
other than through that GUI.

Btw, if you close that "your system is not supported", you can go to the
rightmost tab and add a new profile. I'm *NOT* going to try that out on my
system here at work, but I'll wager that you can then edit the other tabs.

mark

Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 AM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 16:03:35 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw wrote:

> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:33:16 -0400, m.roth-x6lchVBUigD1P9xLtpHBDw
>> wrote: [...]
>>>
>>> ACK! Hedwig is about 10 years old. History: RH 1,2,3,4,5 (where I
>>> started using RH), 5.2,6 (Hedwig),7,7.1,7.2,7.3,8,9 (Shrike),
>>> RHEL1?2?,RHEL 3,RHEL 4, RHEL 5, and just this year, RHEL 6.
>>>
>>> Something's wrong with your GUI options. Why not do it from the
>>> command line?
>>
>> Is it just my GUI options, or is KDE 4 bad? Is any one else succeeding
>> with CentOS 6 and KDE 4?
>
> No idea - never used the GUI, literally. The most I've every used that
> was "GUI" (for small values of GUI), was system-config-network.
>>
>> I guess ifconfig and iwconfig are the commands to use. Right?
>
> Is this on a laptop, or are you hardwired? If the latter, you can just
> edit /etc/sysconfig/network and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, then restart the network.
>>
>> Also, in view of all the problems I am having, perhaps I should drop
>> back to CentOS 5.6. What do you think?
>
> Don't see why, unless you absolutely don't want to deal with the network
> other than through that GUI.
>
> Btw, if you close that "your system is not supported", you can go to the
> rightmost tab and add a new profile. I'm *NOT* going to try that out on
> my system here at work, but I'll wager that you can then edit the other
> tabs.
>
> mark

It is a laptop. I have not been able to get it to work
on the command line. Perhaps it would help if I remove
NetworkManager? Also, there is probably not enough in my
ifcfg-wlan0. I can see what is my ifcfg-eth0, but what do
I put if the network is unknown (I am traveling) or I am
using DHCP? Do you have a reference I can read?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 AM
"Michael D. Berger"

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 01:04:14 +0000, Michael D. Berger wrote:

[...]
> It is a laptop. I have not been able to get it to work on the command
> line. Perhaps it would help if I remove NetworkManager? Also, there is
> probably not enough in my ifcfg-wlan0. I can see what is my ifcfg-eth0,
> but what do I put if the network is unknown (I am traveling) or I am
> using DHCP? Do you have a reference I can read?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

I found some stuff that looks helpful on the web; I'll try it
tomorrow (-0400). Since it involves stopping wpa_supplicant,
I will have to stop NetworkManager, possibly with yum remove,
unless I can find another way. Most important is the command
dhclient, which is used at the end of the sequence.

Mike.