Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Lamar Owen

Default CentOS 6 Partitioning Help

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:07:01 PM Always Learning wrote:
> I assume your machine is a single user machine. If so, I would suggest

He stated clearly in his request that this was for a server, by definition a multi-user machine (each server process should, after all, run as a unique user) serving requests to many users.

Advice for a single-user desktop won't help him.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:07:01 PM Always Learning wrote:
>> I assume your machine is a single user machine. If so, I would suggest
>
> He stated clearly in his request that this was for a server, by definition a multi-user machine (each server process should, after all, run as a unique user) serving requests to many users.
>
> Advice for a single-user desktop won't help him.

just goes to show how well people actually read anything on the
internet these days. and then they can't understand why the original
poster gets irritated when he's told to use a hammer to hit the nail
into the wall, when asked what color your car is.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:19 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> just goes to show how well people actually read anything on the
> internet these days. and then they can't understand why the original
> poster gets irritated when he's told to use a hammer to hit the nail
> into the wall, when asked what color your car is.

Thank you for providing to everyone you too are guilty for not reading
things properly :-)

Welcome to the club !

The original poster did not get irritated. Someone unconnected with the
matter got 'irritated'.

Have a nice day.

Paul.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 15:19 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> just goes to show how well people actually read anything on the
>> internet these days. and then they can't understand why the original
>> poster gets irritated when he's told to use a hammer to hit the nail
>> into the wall, when asked what color your car is.

But who's filling the bathtub with power tools?
<snip>
I missed the thread overnight (for me), but the way I used to recommend it
is part of my article, which you can read at
<http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc> These days, our default here at
work is:
/boot is 200M (we'll probably be moving that up to 300M or 500M, given the
preupgrade of fedora that will probably be coming down the pike).
2GB is swap
and the rest of the drive is / (my manager doesn't like LVM, for some
reason). home directories are *always* NFS mounted here; at home, it's
*always* on a separate partition or drive, along with /opt, though I might
start putting /usr/local there as well, given that some things seem to be
moving back there from /opt.

Sizing: remember, do NOT size for "typical", size for worst huge case,
esp. for a production or development system that others will be using.

mark

Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Always Learning

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 09:54 -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> I missed the thread overnight (for me), but the way I used to recommend it
> is part of my article, which you can read at
> <http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc> These days, our default here at
> work is:
> /boot is 200M (we'll probably be moving that up to 300M or 500M, given the
> preupgrade of fedora that will probably be coming down the pike).
> 2GB is swap
> and the rest of the drive is / (my manager doesn't like LVM, for some
> reason). home directories are *always* NFS mounted here; at home, it's
> *always* on a separate partition or drive, along with /opt, though I might
> start putting /usr/local there as well, given that some things seem to be
> moving back there from /opt.

Agreed /boot needs less (currently on C 5) than 200 MB.
Operating system in one partition on /
User data on a different partition or partitions.

> Sizing: remember, do NOT size for "typical", size for worst huge case,
> esp. for a production or development system that others will be using.

Agreed.

Paul.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 09:54 -0400, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> I missed the thread overnight (for me), but the way I used to recommend
>> it is part of my article, which you can read at
>> <http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc> These days, our default here
>> at work is:
>> /boot is 200M (we'll probably be moving that up to 300M or 500M, given
>> the
>> preupgrade of fedora that will probably be coming down the pike).
>> 2GB is swap
>> and the rest of the drive is / (my manager doesn't like LVM, for some
>> reason). home directories are *always* NFS mounted here; at home, it's
>> *always* on a separate partition or drive, along with /opt, though I
>> might start putting /usr/local there as well, given that some things
>> seem to be moving back there from /opt.
>
> Agreed /boot needs less (currently on C 5) than 200 MB.

That's where I disagree, actually: in the future, I'll be putting either
300M or 500M on /boot, having used preupgrade to bring one system from
fedora 9? 10? to 13, and I had to delete and delete from /boot to squeeze
it in - it seems to want to install most of the base o/s, and is
*bloated*, that it wants a *lot* of space... and I'm sure we'll see that
reflected in CentOS in CentOS 7 or so.
<snip>
mark

Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Robert Nichols

On 09/01/2011 12:20 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> On 08/31/2011 08:51 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
>>> In the past this was my partition scheme:
>>>
>>> Root filesystem (/) = 10240MB (10GB)
>>> /boot = 200MB
>>> swap = 1024MB (1GB)
>>> /var = 20480MB (20GB)
>>> /tmp = 10240MB (10GB)
>>> /usr = 51200MB (50GB)
>>> /home = all remaining space on the drive
>>
>> Having /usr separate from the root file system is no longer recommended
>> or supported. There are various bits and pieces from /usr that now may
>
> Are you sure that's true? Reading the latest EL6 docs I have the
> impression it's recommended to put /usr on the same disk where / and /boot
> are. That's a good rule but I don't think it's meant to run without /usr.

Yes, I'm quite sure. Do you have a specific reference that supports your
impression?

Here's what the RHEL6 Installation Guide has to say:

Do not place /usr on a separate partition If /usr is on a separate
partition from /, the boot process becomes much more complex, and
in some situations (like installations on iSCSI drives), might not
work at all.

I had a discussion about this on the Fedora users list back in March. Since
Fedora 11, separate /usr partition has not been recommended. For Fedora 12
(the basis for RHEL6), I went through the exercise of identifying the files
on /usr that might be needed early in the boot sequence. Here is what I
found:

/usr/sbin/vbetool
/usr/sbin/pcscd
/usr/sbin/Kobil_mIDentity_switch
/usr/sbin/bluetoothd
/usr/bin/env
/usr/bin/hp-mkuri
/usr/share/hwdata/* (total of 29 files)
/usr/lib64/libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4
/usr/lib64/libsensors.so.4.2.1
/usr/lib64/libbluetooth.so.3.4.2
/usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.10
/usr/lib64/libpciaccess.so.0
/usr/lib64/libnetsnmp.so.15.1.2
/usr/lib64/libpciaccess.so.0.10.8
/usr/lib64/libnetsnmp.so.15
/usr/lib64/libsensors.so.4
/usr/lib64/pcsc/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Linux/libccid.so.1.3.9
/usr/lib64/pcsc/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Linux/libccid.so
/usr/lib64/pcsc/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle/Contents/Info.plist
/usr/lib64/pcsc/drivers/serial/libccidtwin.so
/usr/lib64/pcsc/drivers/serial/libccidtwin.so.1.3.9
/usr/lib64/libusb-0.1.so.4
/usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0b
/usr/lib64/libx86.so.1
/usr/lib64/libhal.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib64/libhal.so.1
/usr/lib64/libbluetooth.so.3
/usr/lib64/libusb-1.0.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib64/libusb-1.0.so.0

I actually had a Fedora 12 system set up with a root file system that
had a stub /usr directory tree containing just those files. It would
get overlaid by the full /usr file system when that partition got
mounted. I wouldn't actually recommend that as a configuration.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Simon Matter <simon.matter@invoca.ch> wrote:
>> On 08/31/2011 08:51 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
>>>
>>> In the past this was my partition scheme:
>>>
>>> Root filesystem (/) = 10240MB (10GB)
>>> /boot = 200MB
>>> swap = *1024MB (1GB)
>>> /var = 20480MB (20GB)
>>> /tmp = 10240MB (10GB)
>>> /usr = 51200MB (50GB)
>>> /home = all remaining space on the drive
>>
>> Having /usr separate from the root file system is no longer recommended
>> or supported.
>
> Are you sure that's true? Reading the latest EL6 docs I have the
> impression it's recommended to put /usr on the same disk where / and /boot
> are. That's a good rule but I don't think it's meant to run without /usr.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

and

from
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s2-diskpartrecommend-x86.html

Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
John Hinton

On 9/1/2011 1:19 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Simon Matter<simon.matter@invoca.ch> wrote:
> from
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s2-diskpartrecommend-x86.html
> Do not place /usr on a separate partition If /usr is on a separate
> partition from /, the boot process becomes much more complex, and in
> some situations (like installations on iSCSI drives), might not work
> at all.

Thanks for this Tom. I was operating in old_schema mode and now I see I
need to do a couple of re-installs as I did create /usr partitions. I do
wonder why upstream left /usr as a suggestion in the partitioning
program used inside of Anaconda?

I do believe that 6.0 has more core changes than any release I remember
to date.

Good to find this out 'before' I got lots of stuff on that system!! I
can easily just copy my configs and start over.... way easier now than
on a in service system!

John Hinton

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM, John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/2011 1:19 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Simon Matter<simon.matter@invoca.ch> *wrote:
>>
>> from
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s2-diskpartrecommend-x86.html
>> Do not place /usr on a separate partition If /usr is on a separate
>> partition from /, the boot process becomes much more complex, and in
>> some situations (like installations on iSCSI drives), might not work
>> at all.
>
> Thanks for this Tom. I was operating in old_schema mode and now I see I
> need to do a couple of re-installs as I did create /usr partitions. I do
> wonder why upstream left /usr as a suggestion in the partitioning
> program used inside of Anaconda?
>
> I do believe that 6.0 has more core changes than any release I remember
> to date.
>
> Good to find this out 'before' I got lots of stuff on that system!! I
> can easily just copy my configs and start over.... way easier now than
> on a in service system!

You're welcome.

You must have forgotten the 4-5 transition and, for example, the
expanded-selinux-by-default change that it brought.

The 6-7 transition will be interesting simply judging from F15 and
F16: systemd and grub2. And most probably btrfs too.

I was pressed for time when I posted the two links. Poettering says in
his blog that you can have "/usr" on a separate partition if you mount
it in the initramfs. With dracut, it means using "--add fstab-sys" (or
adding "fstab-sys" to the "/etc/dracut.conf" modules list) and
creating an "/etc/fstab.sys" with a "/usr" line".