Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Ruslan Sivak

Default Managing permissions for web folders

We have a web folder /var/www/somesite that's a root for one of the sites. *Apache serves files out of here.*
It is an svn checkout, so that updates could be done by using svn up.*

Everything has been going great when I use the root user to update, but now I need to give access to other people to make deployments, and it doesn't seem to be easy to do using regular users.*

I have created a group called staff and added the new user to it, lets say user1. *
I ran the following commands to set the permissions*
find . -type d -exec chmod 2775 {} ;
find . -not -type d -exec chmod 0664 {} ;chown user1.staff .
This allows the user to make deployments.*
Now comes in user2. *User2 is also a member of group staff, so he can also make deployments. *We haven't ran into any issues yet, but I believe as long as the files are owned by staff, both users can change the files, no matter which one of them owns it.*

Now we also need to give apache write access to a folder. *Lets say /var/www/somesite/files. *
There are several options here. *- We can add apache to the staff group, but this would give apache access to the whole /var/www/somesite tree. *
- We can change the group to apache. *We will need to add user1 and user2 to the apache group. *One of the problems with this is that the users would have access to everything that apache has access to. *Another problem is that while user1 can run chmod -R user1.apache files, it will fail if the files are owned by someone else (like user2 or apache). *Is there a way to get around this?

Am I going about this the wrong way? *
Russ